I finally got it!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by cddbrowns, Mar 31, 2011.

1. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Came in the mail today, just opened the mail and THERE IT IS! My CCW IS HERE! Look out bad guys!

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Don't make me nervous by being so eager, though. :) I hope you never have to use it.

3. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

LOL! Ill try harder to conceal my excitement. Nah, its more about how LONG you have to wait for these things. FINALLY!

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! :cool:

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Congrats. How long is the wait in VA? Can't you get them on-line in VA?

6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Congrats! Just got mine too, I did it on line. It took a whole 8 days that is encluding a weekend. A friend of mine did a re-up to a lifetime on paper over 3 months ago & is still waiting.:eek:
    Do you have a CCW yet?

7. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Wow that is interesting that they will mail it to you. We have to pick them up at the Police Station here (presumably to make sure it ends up in the right hands, for which I won't fault them). I remember being super excited when I first got my license. I took the course several months before I turned 21, and then turned in my paperwork on my 21st birthday heh. Mine was in a few days before I left before Xmas vacation, so that was nice.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

cd, please remember that the permit allows you to carry, not to hunt.

And CONGRATS!

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'll echo Dan here. A permit to carry does not make you a cop, ninja, or defender of the realm...

10. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

You can take the class online, but I have yet to find anything that allows VA people to apply online. You can download the app, fill it out and take it in if you want, but not submitting it online. Takes about 45 days to get it, and one good thing is if youre a vet, you dont have to take a class or anything, just present your DD214.

I have a Sigma 40 and an LCP, but now that I have the CCW, I can buy more than one handgun per 30 days (bought a 1911 in March), thinking about going and trading both in for an XDM today. Have to see. I dont like the LCP at all....

Damn it! (kicks dirt)

So wait, my dreams of being a ninja cop that carries a 45 and a battle axe are STILL not coming true? CRAP!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  11. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I thought it perfectly reasonable to be excited about the right to protect himself. I wasnt under tge impression he had any particular dillusions about it. . I personally am without a firearm for the time being whilrmine is at the factory, and twice now ive had two scares at home that would have otherwise caused me to arm myself. You bet ill be excited to get itback! Hah.

12. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Ah, they're just razzin me. I go with it. :D No worries.

13. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

GRATS KEEP THE 1911:D:cool: NOW FOR THE WALLY WALK,
    BE safe my man and no nvd's for you:D

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Congratulations, now go buy some new pants. :)

15. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

Congrats man. Be safe! Watch your six!!

16. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I guess we take that for granted here. It took my wife all of ten minutes to get hers. One form and a background check. Thank God for 'Shall Issue'!

17. Bushman

Bushman Member

Congratulations! And welcome...
    Now on to finding clever ways to hide the hardware on your person.
    Get a secure holster, don't want that hitting the floor in the grocery store... :)

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

...or banging the chair at the restaurant when you sit down.

19. Car54

Car54 New Member

Congrats cdd, now you can shout out like Steve Martin did in the Jerk when he found his name was printed in the phone book "Look, I'm somebody"!

20. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Yeah I know :) .

I remember the first week I CCed. I really had to go #2 on a roadtrip. I carefully pulled my pants down, expecting the pistol to fall into my pants (as it had done once at home when I tried this), since I was Appendix-carrying IWB. Instead, my all-metal PT92 fell forward out of its holster and clattered to the floor in the stall. Thank GOODNESS I was in Texas, as the only response I got was "Uh Oh!" and a little chuckle, hahaha.

But yeah, practice things like this***, and make sure you are actively controlling the weapon. After that, anytime I needed to use the bathroom in public I would deliberately remove it from its holster and hold it while I undid and removed my pants with my other hand. Then I would place the weapon inside the "hammock" between my knees.

I'm serious. Practice, or at least be VERY conscious of, getting into and out of your car, sitting down at restaurants, opening doors, reaching up to top shelves, etc. Make sure you know the kinds of movements / positions that can cause printing or exposure, or that can even cause loss of control of the weapon. I had a holster once that when I would sit or squat down, and then stand back up, the weapon would be squeezed a little ways out of the holster like toothpaste from a tube. If I wasn't careful, the next thing I'd know is it would be hanging halfway out the top of the holster. Obviously, I don't use that one anymore heh.

But again, congrats! Good to have another armed citizen around :) .