I feel unsafe...

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by SmallHands, Oct 2, 2013.

1. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Im already scared of jams and blowing up my hands and my bf's co-worker reloads or makes his own ammunition. My bf said that his coworker offered to give me sum 9mm ammunition to try but i said no. Im scared something might go wrong and it decides to explode on me while i shoot it. I kno a lot of people here say to not trust other people's reloads/self made ammunition. This guy makes his own ammo for his ar as well and makes a lot too.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. txpossum

txpossum New Member

It all depends on how much you trust the person doing the reloading. I would hesitate against using handloads given to me by someone I didn't know; however I have shot a bunch of reloads with no problems that were given or sold to me by people whom I felt reasonably sure they knew what they were doing.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would not shoot someone else's reloads. You have reason to be concerned. I have a friend that I shoot with sometimes. We both reload. I shoot mine. He shoots his. We do not share. I pour lead to make my own bullets. I have given him bullets to load for himself. But I have never loaded them for him.

Reloading is serious business. If I blow up my own gun because of my own carelessness that is bad. If I do it because of someone else's that is a different matter all together.

You are correct. Shoot what you load, or buy factory ammo.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you don't feel comfortable shooting reloads in your gun, then don't. If something did go wrong he probably doesn't have the backing or insurance to help you out, while a manufacturer does. I reload but I only use my reloads in my guns. I've made mistakes, but they have so far been on the underpowered side, but at least it is only me getting frustrated.

5. string1946

string1946 New Member

I wouldn't shoot anyone elses reloads either but maybe you could consider learning to reload yourself. Its not hard and can keep you supplied with ammo during hard times. I've been doing it for years and its a relaxing way to spend a few hours.

6. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Thanks guys. God i just hope i can prevent my bf from shooting them, his mindset: u dnt want to shoot em? then i will.

7. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

For me the risks far out weight the benefits. I am still new to reloading (1 year+, maybe 3000 plus rounds). I dont even let someone else shoot my guns with my reloads; I may be going over board, but I dont want to be responsible for anyone other then myself getting hurt.

8. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

I personally don't use them.Although I wouldn't mind learning someday just for my own use.

9. AR10

AR10 New Member

If it is give away reloads, don't walk, run.

10. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Lol! Yea i did run!

11. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

SmallHands, my advice is to always remember that when you are given a gun, car, ammo or any other dangerous object, you are BETTING YOUR LIFE on your trust in that person. If you trust them that much, you're fine. If not, either politely decline, or if you can't, accept and dispose of them later. I don't know your significant other, but try to explain the danger to him. Does the friend drink? Do drugs? Use prescription narcotics? Are you sure? Any chance he was while he was reloading? Obviously, I don't know the man and I'm not disparaging him personally. But there are some bad habits out there that people do while reloading. Even watching TV can distract one too much.

If you can't convince your boyfriend to practice safety and not use hand-me-down reloads, stand away from the sides of the gun when he fires and be glad that most modern firearms are designed to survive an over-pressure situation that isn't too ridiculous. Good luck.

12. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

I dnt kno the guy at all thats why i quickly declined. Even if i knew the fool i would still decline. Like most women i am very cautious consciously and was never given a car, gun or ammo, i only get em soley on my own decision. I will try to persuade my bf to not use them cuz im sure he still need his hands lol.

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My friend and I were on a fishing trip together. We shared a cabin with a third guy. It was a church outing so we all knew each other. Turns out all three of us were reloaders. So we sat and talked recipes that night. The third guy starts telling us that he always goes a full grain above what is published as max in his reloading manual. He thinks that they stop short of true max for legal reasons. We both realized that it is only a matter of time before he hurts himself. Your friend could be like that guy, but you don't know it. Any time someone knows something we don't we often think they know what they are doing. Don't shoot other peoples reloads. The only way I might be willing is if I was standing there watching the person load and saw for myself that it was done right. And then still only maybe.

14. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I shoot a lot of reloads from a local gun shop. The guy has been reloading and selling them for years. He only loads 5% under the max, so I feel they're safe. Other than that, my best friends dad reloads and I like to help and he gives me a few to hunt with every year. If you know the person and you know they are safe, go ahead. If you don't, steer clear of them. I only shoot reloads from people I know and trust and go above and beyond the norm for making sure they're safe.

15. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

About a million years ago when the Delta Elite first came out a nice man told me I could shoot his at the range we were at. The second round sent pieces of brass in my face below my glasses (I'm a lefty) and turned the pistol into a jammomatic. One of the guys that worked there said this guy started his loads at the hot end and went up from there. No unknown reloads since, scared the crap outta me.

16. Donn

Donn Active Member

Factory ammo's no guarantee of performance. A friend of mine was shooting American Eagle 223 in an AR. I was in the lane next to him when he touched one off that sounded like a 308. He had a face full of burnt powder, took several minutes to wash his eyes out. Point is, it can happen with factory ammo too. Personally, I feel safer with somebody who loads one at a time, and measures powder for each load by hand, individually rather than a machine that loads hundreds at a time.

17. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

This should be moved to the "Gun Safe thread"

Ba da bump zing!!!!!

18. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Ouch! How scary O_O

19. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Thats what my bf's buddy said too about factory ammo. But idk...im still weary.

20. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Always go with your gut. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. I know we are talking about reloads, but that's good advice for everything you do.