I dropped a choke!

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Buckethead47, May 1, 2012.

1. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Yesterday I bought the last thing I needed for my gun, a sling. I noticed an orange powder on my gun I was thinking rust but it went away after I rubbed my thumb on it. So I tore it down to check it out. I dropped the choke off the bench and now there is a dent that you can see inside the barrel. Is this something that ruins the choke or is there a way to fix it?

2. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

If you dropped the choke tube and dented it I would suggest you replace the tube. If the dent is in the barrel have it assessed by a gunsmith a dent in either could cause a serious problem and make the gun unsafe.

3. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

It was just the choke. And I figured as much because even if I did try and fix it, it won't be perfect. it's not like I need that choke any time soon. And I wanted a different turkey choke anyways.

4. Retaks

Retaks New Member

For a $20 coke tube i wouldnt risk the gun, my safety, or anyone else safety thats around me.

5. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

That was my thought process because the dent intrudes into the barrel pretty far. So new turkey choke for me!

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. akers06

akers06 New Member

I've never seen a choke have a dent in ut...so I would guess that it was made weak from manufacture I would definitely trash it....just curious what brand of tube was it?

7. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Let me get this straight, or dented as the case, or tube, may be...

You dented a choke tube deep into the barrel by droping it. By DROPPING it? [Sarcasm alert!] From the roof onto the corner of a cement slab? Was there a ball-peen hammer welded to it at the time!?

What am I missing here!?!?!?

8. akers06

akers06 New Member

I was thinking the same thing lol

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm amazed..I have to say. I've dropped chokes on the ground or shop floor I can't even count the times. I've never even seen one dented.:confused:

10. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

If any choke could be dented by dropping, it would never be attached to the barrel of my gun.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Iv seen it several time in older chokes for 870s. They usually tend to be cheap chokes that are made by companies like sim tech or for some reason fiocchi 2x chokes do it also.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

12. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

The choke was out of the gun when it fell off my bench onto cement. and if you screw the choke in, the part of the choke there inside the barrel it's dented to the point it corroded silliest an 1/8th inch into the barrel. And I'm not sure the brand, but I can look threw older threads and find it. It seems to be made out of aluminum. Reminds me not to go cheap on my next turkey choke. I've been eyeing up the bonecollector turkey choke for a while.

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The bone collector is aluminum also.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

14. akers06

akers06 New Member

Go a lil more expensive and try a kicks or comp n choke you won't be disappointed

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Hastings or Briley's chokes are some of the best there are. definately not cheap, but worth it in the long run. MidwayUSA carries them both.

16. akers06

akers06 New Member

Midway carries Hastings turkey chokes??? I can't seem to find them anywhere

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

correction Midway doesn't carry Hastings. must be one of my other sources but i can't seem to locate it at the moment. but does carry the Carlson's choke tubes.

18. akers06

akers06 New Member

If you find out who carries the Hastings let me know bc I like Hastings tubes I just can't find them anymore

19. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I use the non-ported Carlson turkey choke, my 1st bird this season was 60 steps, second bird was 52 steps. I am 6' 4", I don't take short steps.

I shoot 3.5 inch Federal Turkey loads, #4.

I have a ported Hastings for my 870 that patterns well also.

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Might that be because Hastings is out of business? Oui!?