I don't understand the point of the spam.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vincine, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Who reads all the randomly generated text in spam posts, to get to the link, to click to whatever is trying to be sold, presuming the post is even in a message board with some remote relevance to the product in the first place?

Do the spammers get paid for effort regardless of their results? What a waste. How does the money trail work?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I avoid clicking on the spam links. After clicking on one of Shihan's links, :eek: I learned my lesson well. :eek:

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The point is to get people to click the link for virus implementation. It is most likely data mining.
    I don't read it. I just report it.
    It's a side affect of being the number 1 gun forum in America.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Most are senseless compilations of words and phrases. Hidden in the clutter is a link for some "costume or apparel company." I don't trust the link to be a legitimate sales attempt.

5. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I don't see spam on this site as I use the mobile android app for phones but I see a lot of it on craigslist. I sometimes buy and or sell items on cl and the amount of spam is ridiculous. Post an ad looking to sell something and you'll get 100 responses and you'd be lucky if 1 of them is real.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I use and android application and I'm probably the first to see and report 90% of the Spam. Lol

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Huh...maybe I've got some kind of filter on because I don't see any.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Commonly called a Spambot, automatically generates messages, sends them to high traffic sites. As said, it rings doorbells, waiting for someone to answer the door.

Best means of handling? DO NOT ANSWER. Do NOT respond. For Heaven's sake, do NOT click on any link or URL in their message.

Money trail? System send out oh, say, 10,000 of these EACH DAY. A small fraction of the recipients respond- have poor security on their computer, and have used computer to order goods, pay bills, check checking account balances, etc. Maybe that is 1 in 10,000. Well, In the course of a week, they will scam 7 folks. Pick an arbitrary loss figure- say, $500. That is $3,500 a week.

REPORT SPAM to us- we can delete, remove, and ban in the time it takes to slurp your coffee. However, we are all volunteers that do this as a hobby- we actually have REAL jobs that we do somewhere- so you folks have to be our eyes and ears.

This last bunch has been a challenge- usually we just block you, ban you, or at most, block your ISP (some folks try to return under a different name) However, these folks were not using the usually Chinese, Turk, Nigerian ISPs, but a US based Proxy server. It does appear that we have slowed- perhaps stopped the bleeding with this offspring of a scrofulous scavenging parasite. It has been a challenge- our happy little band has been bouncing about 30-40 of them a day.

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Spam is used by lots of folks for lots of reasons. Much of it is malicious, others are fishing for info from you or trying to hawk some service or product. Most do it by invading your computer and loading some type of script that gives them remote power over your system. There is huge money in spam and even "Legit" companies like Ebay load it on.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Yes, but who the hell clicks on mindless posts?

Is it possible to put one of those 'Copy this text' "XXp2*gTs" boxes on the compose post screens? I don't know much about these things.

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Lol............ Now you know the rest of the story. Thats how millions of Americans feel about Osaamy in da white house.........He's like the energizer bunny............We all know that it will come to an end. The sooner the better......................:mad::mad::mad:

12. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

AMERICA F___K YA!

No but really spam is bad

13. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

That is the best idea yet. Require authentication to create an account or a new thread.

14. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Yes they can automate them and once you start the program it costs you effectively nothing to keep it going. You get accidental clicks and you also might get the occasional real click from someone who is curious.

Willshoum, I've read your posts and several times thoguht it was a spam bot because of all the ............. :) :D

The mods are quick!

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I Love Spam !...................

Attached Files:

16. stratrider

stratrider New Member

That's called "captcha" on some forums. Yeah, that should help I'd think? I would not mind at all taking a few extra seconds to type in a captcha code if that's what's needed to stop the spam. If we're supporting members, shouldn't our cookies act as keys to the forum's door anyway?

17. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I think I was able to post on some sub-boards before I chipped in. Some sites pose a question like: “How many angels can dance on the head of a pin.” (Answer: “About half of them.”) I'd say that would work here too, except we might debate the answer. (Which is better; 9mm or .45?)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  18. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Oh, man. I thought this was going to be about the delicious canned mystery pork-like products.
    Damn, techies for stealing the name of such a fine delectable product to describe the lowest of the low in the interweb world.
    Long live the real Spam!

19. orangello

orangello New Member

I think the spammers are secretly...shhh...bears. They have to do something over the winter.

If I have to type one of those hard to read code things to post, it would cut down on my snark a lot.

20. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Hey dude wanna see some REAL bear spam? Click here.