Firearms Talk banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
These are good points. Every step in the supply chain is impacted by Covid issues, higher fuel prices (up 20% in my area since the election), long-term scarcity beginning 11 months ago, other industries suffering from Covid and shipping interruptions, and so forth.

This is a perfect storm of supply chain problems and worries about future legislation, and yet another example of how people MUST be prepared for this stuff...
So true. What is more than interesting is that the demand for guns and ammo shows no sign of letting up. To me, this represents a lack of confidence in government and self-preservation is front of mind for an awful lot of people. I go places assuming everyone has a gun on them. Probably not far from the truth where I live which is a nice civil place. Be careful out there and be nice ; )

·
Registered
894 Posts
American shooter's have dealt with the high's and low's of Politics vs 2nd Amendment for many decades. The Left hates that the citizen's have the Right to Bear Arm's. They want the citizen's to be totally controlled, and reliant on the Government. They have learned throughout history that unarmed citizen's can easily be controlled, and don't have much ability to stand against those that are in power.

For decades the Left has been taking control over many aspects of American's lives. Education, Healthcare, Big business, the Internet, etc.. They are like cancer, they start off as a small tumor and then spread to the rest of the body if they aren't dealt with and eliminated. They have gotten very good at getting control without much of a fight from the Right.

2020 was the perfect storm. An Election year with a Republican President that was really good at pissing his support's off with his daily BS tweet's, rants, and pissing off the House & Senate Republican's as well.
Next, Throw in Covid 19. For month's the entire country was shut down. Manufacturing was brought to a stand still with most every business being affected.
Then Remington and all the other companies under their umbrella went bankrupt, so there are many different models of firearms under several brands that cease to being produced anymore, along with ammo, primers, brass, and gun parts.

Now, throw in all the BLM & ANTIFA riots across the country, and American's start getting scared for their lives and safety.
People that generally wouldn't buy or own firearm's rushed to every store and online to buy anything that they could get their hands on. It didn't take long for the shelves to become bare. Once the panic started, then everyone went to the store's and bought anything they could. Some are hoarding, other's are re-selling for high profit's.

Producers of goods can't just ramp up production, they make X amount of product in 24 hours. They also have contracts with other businesses and the Government that require X amount of items produced to go to those contracts.
Consumer supply is usually near the bottom of the list when it comes to production.

Most long time shooter's have been through situation's like this before, so we learned long ago to stock up when stuff was plentiful at regular or sale prices.
Those that didn't heed the warnings, or those that are new to Shooting sport's are just SOL, and waited too long to buy stuff when it was available.

Given the current situation, I don't see an end to it for several years. Glad I've been stocked up on everything for years.
Good lesson pointed out there. I stocked up when ammo was cheap due to just a gut feel and signs that it wouldn't last. Next time, and there will be one, I will stock up much more for the purpose of making profit from those that didn't stock up. It's called, "free enterprise", not greed. Keep on making that stuff fast! I have money and I'm watching the market! It's is going to be a while before things loosen up. Some people have learned a lesson then they will slow down the buying and I will step in, again. Having ridiculous amounts of ammo sitting around would be a good thing right now, no?

·
Premium Member
12,995 Posts
I don't know why the OP finds the situation so hard to understand. There are only two issues at play;
(1) supply and demand, and
(2) panic.

Companies are producing at full capacity to take advantage of the panic buying, and it is not enough. The same companies aren't going to bring new facilities or employees into the game because they know that this too shall pass. Makers of all firearm related products will be talking for decades about the golden time. Everybody wins but the consumer.

The supplies will return when people start buying just what they use again and not trying to prepare for Armageddon. It is a self inflicted wound that can only be healed by the buyers.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't know why the OP finds the situation so hard to understand. There are only two issues at play;
(1) supply and demand, and
(2) panic.

Companies are producing at full capacity to take advantage of the panic buying, and it is not enough. The same companies aren't going to bring new facilities or employees into the game because they know that this too shall pass. Makers of all firearm related products will be talking for decades about the golden time. Everybody wins but the consumer.

The supplies will return when people start buying just what they use again and not trying to prepare for Armageddon. It is a self inflicted wound that can only be healed by the buyers.
Real costs have increased like previously stated in this thread. With "social distancing" (see one Dr. Fauci), the dimensions of manufacturing plants didn't just increase overnight as "social distancing" was dictated overnight, to accommodate the same number of people. Fixed costs are fixed costs while material, labor and other variable costs went up due to dictated inefficiencies. Companies are not taking advantage of "panic buying". They could care less why their order bank is high. They sell to their customers at prices that give them acceptable margins to their shareholders who invest for monetary gain (who doesn't besides govt.?). More ammo is being produced in spite of dictated inefficiencies.

Remington manufacturing capacity has been restarted under new ownership and other manufacturing capacity has increased (look it up) so there has been capacity added. That space was down for a significant amount of time. It is true that there is a manufactured Armageddon. My opinion, but I think the shortage will go on for a long time and people will continue to hoard no matter the price. People have been burned twice in a short period of time due to political stupidity and people have memories. I, for one, intend to hoard even more. Ammo value right now has increased more than "money" (what a revolutionary statement). I have plenty of ammo and will have more than just plenty in time. I think this stupid Armageddon can only be healed by intelligent leadership and time. Time is not lacking, intelligent responsible leadership is lacking.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Did the same not happen when Obama was buying up all the ammo for his private army to hold unto power. It seems some people are easily spooked.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Did the same not happen when Obama was buying up all the ammo for his private army to hold unto power. It seems some people are easily spooked.
No, the same thing did not happen when Obama was in office. A lot was different. t's too late for you to be spooked.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
No, the same thing did not happen when Obama was in office. A lot was different. t's too late for you to be spooked.
The same issue was discussed on the forum before, only Obama was blamed on that occasion. As for me, we have no problems getting ammo nothing to be spooked about.

The 2008 election of President Barack Obama triggered increased sales of both firearms and ammunition. ... This led to a severe shortage of ammunition for most handgun calibers and some rifle calibers, especially the previously easy-to-find and cheaply priced .22 LR.
About that Obama administration ammunition-buying conspiracy theory ... though the creation of an ammunition shortage
and a conservative New Jersey ... To begin with, DHS houses a number of agencies with armed personnel.
ammo-zone: HOME
https://www.ammo-zone.co.uk

·
Registered
659 Posts
Odd everyone yelping shortage .
LGS around here get PALLETS of ammo .
Trouble is they keep it in back break the 50 rd box down to 20 rds or charge 10 times the price for 50 rds. Claiming they cant get any.

But if you have the cash they have plenty.

I bought a 50 rd box of Winchester Ranger T plus p 45 just today out of nessessity.
Now this may not strike anyone else odd but about a third of the box was Hornady critical duty.
Really??
Quick call got a quick confession somebody in the back messed up boxing the ammo.

Wjats going on is those who will gouge have all the ammo they want.
Those shops that wont dont have much at all.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Odd everyone yelping shortage .
LGS around here get PALLETS of ammo .
Trouble is they keep it in back break the 50 rd box down to 20 rds or charge 10 times the price for 50 rds. Claiming they cant get any.

But if you have the cash they have plenty.

I bought a 50 rd box of Winchester Ranger T plus p 45 just today out of nessessity.
Now this may not strike anyone else odd but about a third of the box was Hornady critical duty.
Really??
Quick call got a quick confession somebody in the back messed up boxing the ammo.

Wjats going on is those who will gouge have all the ammo they want.
Those shops that wont dont have much at all.
Now that would P. O. me. I would let them know along with everyone in town. What goes around, comes around. I've sold ammo at a profit but not THAT much. It was low enough that it went immediately on GB which is a signal that it could have gone for more money. I chose not to do it. Profit and greed are too different things. I LIKE people having guns and ammo. The more we have the more our voice counts. Govt. isn't completely blind to what they THINK we have.

·
Premium Member
12,995 Posts
Hoarding=Shortages.

·
Registered
659 Posts
For a shooter stocking ammo over time is smart and doesn't affect supplies, panic buying is a different thing.
The supplies are there. Ammo is there.

LGS that are willing to gouge prices have any ammo you normally want . Because they will pay other LGS a normal profit to buy most of their ammo, plus what they order themselves from distributors.
Those LGS take advantage of the panic, backroom most of their inventory then price what they do put out ridiculously high.
They can profit 4 times as much on 1/4 the ammo sold.
The panic buying is real. The ammo shortage not so much as that is mostly unscrupulous dealers making a killing on ammo.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts