I dont know where to put this

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JTJ, Dec 13, 2010.

  1. JTJ

    JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

    Don’t need to be a Marine to understand this! I was AF and understand.

    For those who mourned with General Kelly at the loss of his son here is a part of the story that the newspapers never told.

    Semper fi my brothers,

    On Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC gave a speech to the
    Semper Fi Society of St. Louis, MO. This was 4 days after his son, Lt
    Robert Kelly, USMC was killed by an IED while on his 3rd Combat tour.
    During his speech, General Kelly spoke about the dedication and valor of the
    young men and women who step forward each and every day to protect us.
    During the speech, he never mentioned the loss of his own son. He closed
    the speech with the moving account of the last 6 seconds in the lives of 2
    young Marines who died with rifles blazing to protect their brother Marines.

    "I will leave you with a story about the kind of people they
    are about the quality of the steel in their backs, about the kind of
    dedication they bring to our country while they serve in uniform and forever
    after as veterans.

    Two years ago when I was the Commander of all U.S. and Iraqi forces,
    in fact, the 22nd of April 2008, two Marine infantry battalions, 1/9 "The
    Walking Dead," and 2/8 were switching out in Ramadi. One battalion in the
    closing days of their deployment going home very soon, the other just
    starting its seven-month combat tour. Two Marines, Corporal Jonathan Yale
    and Lance Corporal Jordan Haerter, 22 and 20 years old respectively, one
    from each battalion, were assuming the watch together at the entrance gate
    of an outpost that contained a makeshift barracks housing 50 Marines. The
    same broken down ramshackle building was also home to 100 Iraqi police, also
    my men and our allies in the fight against the terrorists in Ramadi, a city
    until recently the most dangerous city on earth and owned by Al Qaeda.

    Yale was a dirt poor mixed-race kid from Virginia with a wife and
    daughter, and a mother and sister who lived with him and he supported as
    well. He did this on a yearly salary of less than $23,000. Haerter, on the
    other hand, was a middle class white kid from Long Island. They were from
    two completely different worlds. Had they not joined the Marines they would
    never have met each other, or understood that multiple America's exist
    simultaneously depending on one's race, education level, economic status,
    and where you might have been born. But they were Marines, combat Marines,
    forged in the same crucible of Marine training, and because of this bond
    they were brothers as close, or closer, than if they were born of the same

    The mission orders they received from the sergeant squad leader I am
    sure went something like: "Okay you two clowns, stand this post and let no
    unauthorized personnel or vehicles pass." "You clear?" I am also sure Yale
    and Haerter then rolled their eyes and said in unison something like:

    "Yes Sergeant," with just enough attitude that made the point
    without saying the words, "No kidding sweetheart, we know what we're doing."
    They then relieved two other Marines on watch and took up their post at the
    entry control point of Joint Security Station Nasser, in the Sophia section
    of Ramadi, Al Anbar, Iraq.

    A few minutes later a large blue truck turned down the alley
    way-perhaps 60-70 yards in length-and sped its way through the serpentine f
    concrete jersey walls. The truck stopped just short of where the two were posted and detonated, killing them both catastrophically. Twenty-four brick masonry houses were damaged or destroyed. A mosque 100 yards away collapsed. The truck's engine came to rest two hundred yards away knocking
    most of a house down before it stopped. Our explosive experts reckoned the
    blast was made of 2,000 pounds of explosives. Two died, and because these
    two young infantrymen didn't have it in their DNA to run from danger, they
    saved 150 of their Iraqi and American brothers-in-arms.

    When I read the situation report about the incident a few hours
    after it happened I called the regimental commander for details as something
    about this struck me as different. Marines dying or being seriously wounded
    is commonplace in combat. We expect Marines regardless of rank or MOS to
    stand their ground and do their duty, and even die in the process, if that
    is what the mission takes. But this just seemed different. The regimental
    commander had just returned from the site and he agreed, but reported that
    there were no American witnesses to the event-just Iraqi police. I figured
    if there was any chance of finding out what actually happened and then to
    decorate the two Marines to acknowledge their bravery, I'd have to do it as
    a combat award that requires two eye-witnesses and we figured the
    bureaucrats back in Washington would never buy Iraqi statements. If it had
    any chance at all, it had to come under the signature of a general officer.

    I traveled to Ramadi the next day and spoke individually to a
    half-dozen Iraqi police all of whom told the same story. The blue truck
    turned down into the alley and immediately sped up as it made its way
    through the serpentine. They all said, "We knew immediately what was going
    on as soon as the two Marines began firing." The Iraqi police then related
    that some of them also fired, and then to a man, ran for safety just prior
    to the explosion. All survived. Many were injured.some seriously. One of
    the Iraqis elaborated and with tears welling up said, "They'd run like any
    normal man would to save his life." "What he didn't know until then," he
    said, "and what he learned that very instant, was that Marines are not
    normal." Choking past the emotion he said, "Sir, in the name of God no sane
    man would have stood there and done what they did." "No sane man."

    "They saved us all."

    What we didn't know at the time, and only learned a couple of days
    later after I wrote a summary and submitted both Yale and Haerter for
    posthumous Navy Crosses, was that one of our security cameras, damaged
    initially in the blast, recorded some of the suicide attack. It happened
    exactly as the Iraqis had described it. It took exactly six seconds from
    when the truck entered the alley until it detonated.

    You can watch the last six seconds of their young lives. Putting
    myself in their heads I supposed it took about a second for the two Marines
    to separately come to the same conclusion about what was going on once the
    truck came into their view at the far end of the alley. Exactly no time to
    talk it over, or call the sergeant to ask what they should do. Only enough
    time to take half an instant and think about what the sergeant told them to
    do only a few minutes before: ".let no unauthorized personnel or vehicles
    pass." The two Marines had about five seconds left to live.

    It took maybe another two seconds for them to present their weapons,
    take aim, and open up. By this time the truck was half-way through the
    barriers and gaining speed the whole time. Here, the recording shows a
    number of Iraqi police, some of whom had fired their AKs, now scattering
    like the normal and rational men they were-some running right past the

    They had three seconds left to live.

    For about two seconds more, the recording shows the Marines' weapons
    firing non-stop.the truck's windshield exploding into shards of glass as
    their rounds take it apart and tore in to the body of the SOB who is trying
    to get past them to kill their brothers-American and Iraqi-bedded down in
    the barracks totally unaware of the fact that their lives at that moment
    depended entirely on two Marines standing their ground. If they had been
    aware, they would have known they were safe, because two Marines stood
    between them and a crazed suicide bomber. The recording shows the truck
    careening to a stop immediately in front of the two Marines. In all of the
    instantaneous violence Yale and Haerter never hesitated. By all reports and
    by the recording, they never stepped back. They never even started to step
    aside. They never even shifted their weight. With their feet spread
    shoulder width apart, they leaned into the danger, firing as fast as they
    could work their weapons. They h
    ad only one second left to live.

    The truck explodes. The camera goes blank. Two young men go to
    their God.

    Six seconds. Not enough time to think about their families, their
    country, their flag, or about their lives or their deaths, but more than
    enough time for two very brave young men to do their duty, into eternity.
    That is the kind of people who are on watch all over the world tonight-for

    We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could
    bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave
    us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast
    Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and guarantee no force on this
    earth can ever steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been
    with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy
    started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free
    and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans
    who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable
    lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt
    down, and kill, those who would do us harm.

    God Bless America, and..SEMPER FIDELIS!"
  2. JTJ

    JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

    Maybe we need a new title or location for acts of inspiration. I posted the story of the National Antherm on Legal and Activism for lack of a better place.

  3. dunerunner

    dunerunner New Member

    Had to wait for the tears to clear before I could post. I have no words, only RESPECT for these two Honorable Marines!!

    Damned allergies!!
  4. JTJ

    JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

    I would appreciate it if one of the moderators would move this post to the Club House or let me know if I need to repost it.
  5. doctherock

    doctherock New Member

    JTJ thanks for the post. Semper Fi. I was Air Force but all those who serve or have served are my brothers in arms.