I dont feel underpowered with a .380 do you?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Firearm007, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Firearm007

Firearm007 New Member

to me a .380 is the lowest caliber i will use as far as stopping power is concerned. What is your thoughts on the stopping power of a .380 of course with a well placed shot?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

1. I don't feel underpowered ever, I have a Ka-Bar and a Warrior spirit!!

2. but in all seriousness, I saw some words of wisdom on this forum but can't remember who said it "it's better than a pointy stick!"

3. I'd pick something bigger with more power, but reread 1 and 2.

3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

...........................oh boy, here we go again!!!! :rolleyes:

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

yeah I know, we have I think at least 2 other active threads debating the .380. It's still fun though.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I don't feel under powered with any caliber of handgun, including a .380.

I can make them all work for me if I have too.

Human beings are much more fragile creatures than one would think. :cool:

6. Firearm007

Firearm007 New Member

Never underpowered as long as a projectile meets its destination..:D

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

380's are usually carried for short distant confrontation.
    Therefore I don't feel underpowered if placement is met
    with dead on accuracy.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

and in that is the key. power issues no... but putting lead on target. that can tend to be the tricky part of . 380's

9. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

.380 acp??

In today's marketplace, it makes more sense to carry the same size weapon in the 9MM. Just my opinion..Bill.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As stated in one of the other threads. Yes I do like the larger calibers I carry for instance the 40 S&W and the 45 ACP! But in the heat of the summer with light clothing the 380 fits the ticket. And with the better selection of ammunition produced today! I mentally prepare to shoot at least three to the chest and one or two to the head. Still leaves me 2 more to follow up!:)

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with the others. shot placement is more important than size. i personally believe it's much better, three hits with a 380, than three misses with a 45. if a person has practiced with a 380, and is more accurate and comfortable with that gun, then that is the one they need to carry. confidence in your abilities and gun are very important.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think one of the biggest things to remember is that most .380's are small compact guns with shorter barrels and therefore less inherent range and accuracy. It is not a 25 yard gun, although some people with certain models and certain abilities may be able to hit a target at that kind of range, many of us can't.

It is more for close range in your face self defense, and one aspect is the deterrent factor where a thug or BG may see the gun and decide it's not worth it.

13. martyp

martyp New Member

Inasmuch as I don't own a 380 and never will all I carry are 45acp and 10mm and if I need a weapon at home I grab my AK in 7.62 Nato or my shotty I'm handicapped enough being over seventy years old and don't choose to further diminish my chances by carrying some pipsqueak pistol.

14. Yes.

For that matter, I consider 9x19 to be marginal. And yes, shot placement is very important. I consider a well placed big bullet to be superior to a well placed smaller bullet.

(Just for the record, I have little problem connecting with an intended target.)

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Nope. Works just fine.