I dislike "sales" people. a LOT!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by 70cuda383, Nov 9, 2011.

1. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

why is it that EVERYONE wants to push on you something you don't even want?!

stopped in a few of the local gun shops to ask them what they charge for FFL transfers, as I'm doing my research to begin an AR build.

the standard conversation at each place went about like this:

"Hi, I'm looking for information about FFL transfers...how much do you charge, do I come here and do the paperwork first, or do I buy the gun and have it sent here first, etc."

their first question "what are you buying? we have a great selection here"

--answer, I'm building an AR and need the transfer for the lower receiver

next question "what are you building?"

--answer, just a standard, run of the mill M4 clone, nothing special, I just want to build one to build one

"well, for what you're going to spend buying parts to build one, plus shipping, you can buy one already done...here let me show you what we have...." and they proceed to show me their line of $1300 mil-spec ARs that are "On sale!" what's funny is the "big box stores" had the exact same ones listed at $800 in their "hunting season specials" that was in the Sunday paper.

ugh!!! if I wanted to buy a built AR, I'd buy a built AR, all I came in to ask you was how the FFL transfer process works, since I've never done one, always just bought my guns right there in a store. you started asking other questions and I was being polite and answered them instead of being a jerk and saying "I'm just here to to ask about the FFL transfer"

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Welcome to America...The land of sell-it to you even if you don't need-it or want-it....I guess they work-on commission ...

3. fmj

fmj New Member

First off, their paycheck depends on you buying there.

Secondly, if they piss you off, you can do like I do. Tell 'em point blank, you'll spend your money somewhere that is willing to help you do what you want to do, then leave.

4. Hinermad

Hinermad New Member

I had the same conversation at a local shop. When I told the guy I was building a PSL (which they didn't stock) and needed a receiver transferred he tried to talk me into letting their gunsmith build it for me because that was something the average shooter would have trouble with.

Me, average? Hah. Moving along...

The next shop I went to, the owner/salesman/gunsmith said "Transfers are $45. What are you getting?" When I told him I was building a PSL he said, "Well that's different. Most guys are builing ARs or AKs. If you need help, just let me know." I keep going back to that one.

Dave

5. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

yea, I know their paycheck depends on people like me buying guns from them, but does that mean they need to sell a gun to every person who walks in the door, even if they're not looking to buy a full weapon? do they try to "up-sell" a handgun to every joe blow who walks in to buy a box of 9mm ammo?

"why are you buying that 9mm ammo? do you have a 9mm at home? here, let me show you our fine selection of 9mm weapons, they're even on sale right now!"

after stopping at a few places, I wonder if I can get Wal-mart to do my transfer? the idiots who work there don't know enough to try to upsell me something!

6. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

When I find that guy's brother who is running a shop in my area...I'll be sure to go there! I hate how they treat you like you're an idiot because you don't work there, and if you don't work there, then you obviously don't know what you're doing.

If I can build a 500+ hp big block stroker and put (so far) 4,000 hard street miles on it with nothing but oil changes...then building a firearm can't be THAT difficult!!

7. fmj

fmj New Member

Well you ARE a Dodge boy........so there is DEFINITELY SOMETHING wrong with your head! :p;):rolleyes::D

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Its better than being one of those crazy International people!! ;):p

9. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I've been rejected for FFL transfers because the store "Sold it" like I care.

I finally found one an FFL I like who is willing to ship and shoots the bull.

Doesn't push anything, just a nice guy.

10. Keithr

Keithr New Member

Back in Wisconsin there this shop in our little town one guy runs and I can just walk in and shoot the **** with him and ask questions and is berry helpful

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my LGS that i use will do them for me for $25. i buy most of my firears from him just because of the service and price, plus they are knowledgeable and treat every customer with respect. another thing he will do is even order things he doesn't normally stock for me if he can get it. i too don't like pushy sales people, if i walked into a place not knowing exactly what i want, then that's one thing, but if i know what i want, then sell me what i want, or i will go somewhere else.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

refusing to do ffl xfers doesnt make sense to me. someone is going to do it for the customer so the shop that refuses is just shooting themselves in the foot. its a gaurunteed fee with no overhead...

13. fmj

fmj New Member

I dont hate on the International guys......International Harvester WAS based here in town....i spect your machine was built here in town.

14. cmhill

cmhill New Member

We are not pushy about it when asked questions concerning transfers how ever we to ask if we may give a price quote for the item before the transfer. If its a new gun or part usually we can order it and get it to you for less than the cost of you buying it and paying the shipping (if any) and transfer fee. I mean we are here to make a sale not to push you but like someone said earlier the local mom and pop stores depend on making sales and your purchase dollars are then used to pay our employees and pay local taxes which go back into our local community, not off to some other state. not to mention I can almost garuntee you will not get the same service from them as you will your local store in most cases anyways

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The gent above me has the right idea- and congratulations on being a smart man.

I know some dealers that charge nothing for a transfer other than state fees- IF it is for a regular customer. Yes, they bought a gun from somone else. YOU get the chance to sell them ammo, scopes, slings, cleaning gear, recoil pads, yada yada yada.

If you go to auctionarms,com, or gunbroker.com, both have a "Find a FFL" function- dealers that have registered as being willing to serve as a transfer agent. Put in your zip code, pulls up dealers near you.

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The truth is, when you walk into a man's shop who depends on selling guns to make his living, how can you fault him for trying to make a larger sale? He is in the business of selling guns, not doing transfers.

I a with you 100% when some jackass knocks on my door trying to sell products or religion.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think cmhill and c3 are on the right track here. a lot of gun stores really should think about FFL transfers because, it could be an opportunity to seel other items. even my LGS sometimes can't beat a price on something i want, but i do buy a lot of other items from him for the item he transfered. sometimes he does beat the price i found somewhere else and i do purchase from him. but in several years, he has usually been pretty close in price, so i just usually buy it from him.

18. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I don't mind someone trying to sell me something. The ones I dislike are the ones that ignore you.

19. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it. He's trying to make a sale which is why he's there. If it upset you that much, take your business elsewhere.

20. Jay

Jay New Member

The local shop I frequent is a second-generation gun shop. Couldn't ask for a better place to shop for, buy, or ask about guns. When you walk in the door, you're asked, "how can I help you?" You respond, and the owner does his best to assist. There are 4 or 5 stools in front of the counter, that are almost always occupied, and there are at least 250-300 firearms in the place, all the time. He special orders anything with no fees, transfers are $25. His gun prices are a bit higher than internet prices, but if I really need something on a Sunday afternoon, he'll walk next door and open up for me. I think that's worth a few bucks.