I could use some buying advice.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by tcraig23, May 25, 2010.

1. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

I need to buy another gun right now like a hole in the head but that has never stopped me before. I was at a big gun shop today and saw a deal I really wanted to jump on but didn't. They have several *show display* Smith & Wesson M&P 40 full size pistols with night sights. They are $399 with all the xtras including the hard case. I need to call them and ask some more questions but they looked very nice. What do you all think? Thanks for looking.

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You would be foolish not to jump on that. I wouldn't think twice about it. As a matter of fact where is this store? I am in the market for an M&P. That price sounds good to me.

3. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

It is the brand new Shoot Straight store in Ft. Myers, Florida. I agree it is pulling me like a tractor beam.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Didn't you just buy a new M&P 40c?? I seem to remember a thread where you had just bought a new firearm.

Are you trying to give NGIB a run in the most pistols purchased in a month's time category?? :eek:

Life is short - If you can afford it and you want it, you should have it.

Unless She Who Must Be Obeyed has other plans for that cash. Like new flooring. :rolleyes:

JD

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I would have left the store 400 and some odd dollars short in the wallet.:D

6. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

Yes, I did just get the 40c, I traded in toward that so it wasn't bad on the wallet. No flooring or anything else right now but I have my own play money. The problem is instead of saving first then buying, I like to buy and they pay off. Not a good habit but I keep it managable.

7. adjohns3

adjohns3 Member

Congrats on your new acquisition...sounds like a deal that was not meant to resist!
    Good shooting!

8. WDB

WDB New Member

A good price on a good pistol, I paid $100+ more for my M&P 45 (with night sights) a few years ago and still believe it was money well spent.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The ONE and ONLY benefit of NJ gun laws...no impulse buying of handguns. :D See a gun you like, it's yours in 8-10 weeks after the permits clear.

10. russ

russ New Member

$399 is a smokin deal. You should buy two and give me one just because it's such a good deal.

11. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Bummer man, move to Florida you can have it the minute you lay down the money with a CWP. :D

To the OP:
    Go for the M&P .40 at $399.
    Shoot Straight's have good deals from time to time.
    When I'm in Tampa I stop in to see the current deals.
    I wish one would open up closer to me- maybe one day.

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Yeah I know...but then my basement would probably look like this...

[​IMG]

13. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

You can very easily work in the price of a new gun into the total costs of flooring, impact windows, landscaping etc...It does take some careful finagling but it can be done.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

And people bag on California? People here complain about a 10 day wait, but 8-10 weeks sucks.

15. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

Thank you to everyone for the input. I am going to buy one today as soon as I can get back down there.

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Dude, I actually buy few - I do a lot of trading though. At the point where I just need to sell some now as I'm pretty happy with the collection...

17. Wambli

Wambli Member

That feeling NEVER lasts, trust me ;)

18. jbd

jbd New Member

I paid 449.00 back in jan. 2010 and I thought I got a heck of a deal. I would jump all over that deal you prob. will not get that price again. If you like the M&p fs do not waste time get it done and have some fun.;)

19. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

Well, I'm back from Shoot Straight and things changed quite a bit once I got there. Myself and a store employee looked over all 9 of the S&W's they had and only found two that I liked enough to buy. Most were very used looking, rough in some spots and some of the mags were very worn. There was only one mag that came with it and the hard case which were scuffed up here and there. On the same table was something that I had to think long and hard about a Springfield Armory XD40, brand new, extra mag, nice case all the paperwork etc. for $429. So, I could get the used Smith with only one mag, night sights, (a plus for sure) scuffed case and not knowing how many rounds had been fired or the brand new XD. The winner is......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hey all you Springfield lovers rejoice!!!

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  20. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

Here is another one.
    [​IMG]