I could inherit a few firearms

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by SmokyMtnHiker, Mar 20, 2014.

1. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

A friend resently was given a whole slew of firearms. He lives in Indiana. He is planning on giving some to family and friends. However, some his family and friends live in Illinois, myself included.

I was wondering what needs to be done on either end to make the transfers legal.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

with you being in Illinois, you may have to go through an FFL even for long guns. transfer of handguns IIRC across state lines requires an FFL transfer to be legal.

i would check with an FFL in Illinois and ask this question or contact an attorney well versed with the gun laws in your state to be on the legal side of things.

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

You lucky bastard.:D I'd just have your buddy's LGS contact your LGS, and have them do the shipping and transfers. They can work out what needs to be done, and let you guys know/charge you.

4. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Well I'm not holding my breath. You know what they say lol..if it sounds too good..

I was think about just doing a private sale from him to me. He is having Indiana (where they live) do the transfer between the current owner (Tim) to my buddy. So, once they are put into my buddies name we'll go from there. His is a resident of IN but is from IL. He currently has an 'up do date' FOID from when he still lived in IL.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Drive to your buddies house in Indiana, pick up the guns, have a beer and thank him. Drive back to Illinois with the guns.

When I got a few guns from an uncle in Nevada a few years ago I had him ship the guns to me in IL via the USPS. He broke them down and packaged them.

6. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Lol Dude please, that fool is bringing them to me! He's planning on heading home in a week or two. I can wait a couple weeks for free guns.

I just want it to be legit so if I end up trading them/selling them later down the road I can with no ISP giving me grief.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Here is a link to the synopsis of gun laws in IL. http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/illinois.aspx

With the exception of inheriting a firearm, or purchase of a long gun from a dealer, transfer of a firearm between residents of two different states means the gun MUST be received by a Federal Firearms License holder in the receiving state. Federal law. IL also has a waiting period.

My advice to you would be to find a FFL holder (dealer) near you that they can be sent to, and have him process the transfer.

For those telling the OP to just drive over there and get them- do you plan to visit him in Federal prison? Because you are advising him to commit a Federal felony.

Not that the ATF ever arrests people......

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how much they would give you for NOT doing the FFL transfer from one state to another?

I'd also like to add that if someone wanted to give me some guns, I would be MORE than happy to pay the shipping & transfers. (HintHint):D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  9. CGS

CGS New Member

Family in IL needs a FOID. Any firearms he transfers must accompany a bill of sale. IL law requires bill of sale to be kept for 10 years. Bill of sale should include make, model, serial, date of sale, buyer FOID #. Also don't forget the new person to person FOID check.

I will also include date and time of agreement. Time of sale. A pic of the firearm with both FOID cards visible.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would go the legal route. If you acquire the guns illegally, in the event the guns are lost or stolen your insurance will not pay. Moreover, if you use one of the illegally acquired guns to defend yourself you will be facing federal firearms charges, even if you had every right to use the gun.