I can't figure out whats wrong with my reloads?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bigdaddy573, Sep 27, 2013.

1. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Alright I been loading for a while and Im having problems with my 22-250. Im loading 55gr v-max at 2.344 and it chambers find but its hard to close my bolt. I tried to seat my bullet deeper and its the same problem. so I switched bullets and weights to 50gr and it still doing the samething?

2. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Sounds like head spacing. Check all of your case dimensions

3. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^
    What he said

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Have you trimmed your brass?

5. ColdIron44

ColdIron44 New Member

I ran into the same thing a while back and I found my problem in the full length resizing process. I speculate that I resized a batch of cases with the die not screwed in far enough. I troubleshooted this by raising the ram, screwing the full length resize die in until it contacted the shell plate, then lowering the ram and screwing the die in just fraction of a turn more before locking it in place. This method produced a round that chambered easily and allowed smooth closure of the bolt. Lowering the die past the contact point with the shell plate is not good practice, and probably puts unnecessary stress on the press, so I just tinkered with finding that sweet spot in die height and now I just spend a little more time when locking in the resizing die. Problem solved, for me at least. Good luck!

6. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

You need to bump the shoulder down more, so the bolt will close correctly.

7. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

Had the same problem with my 30/06AI with some 30/06 brass that was given to me. I had to screw the die down about a 1/4 turn more and the cases fed easily after that.

8. Wouva1

Wouva1 New Member

You hit the nail on the head.....anytime I FLR any of my 308 brass I check it in my rifle to see whether the bolt closes smoothly,if it doesn't and it sticky or hard I turn the die down a little at a time until the bolt closes nicely....you do that and guaranteed you won't have any issues whatsoever....cheers

9. mseric

mseric New Member

Are you Full Length sizing or Neck sizing?
    If you are FL sizing then, as stated above you may have to screw the die into the press to get more shoulder bump.

If you are neck sizing then it may be time to FL size your brass.

How did you set up your FL die?

How did you set up your Seating die? If you have this set up improperly you may be buckling the case with an unwanted crimp causing chambering issues.

10. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Sorry it took a while to back to y'all. I FL size all my cases I messed my dies and its still doing the samething. I trim all my brass after i size them. But its only happening with Winchester brass but it works find with Remington brass.

11. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

Winchester brass can be a real hit and miss at times in terms of QA.
    Try screwing the dies down on the Winchester brass and see how that goes.

12. Wouva1

Wouva1 New Member

Yeah I agree with Hairbear that Winchester brass can be a pain in the *** at times,after you've FLR 1 case put it in the rifle and close the bolt as I previously mentioned and if it doesn't close wind the die down a little at a time and re chamber it,it should fix the problem unless you've ruined the die somehow....hope that helps...cheers

13. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Alright guys I took my gun and shells to the gunshop I buy most my stuff at and he looked them over and he told me they was wore out.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Wore out? Brass does not wear out. It can become work hardened, cracked, develop incipient head separation, but not really wear out.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

And I'll bet he offered to sell you some.

16. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

What he was meaning is this is the last go around for them this is the fifth time I loaded. them and they are bulging at the bottom and no matter how I set my die it won't get rid of the bulge. I spent hours last night tinkering with my dies and it did no good.

17. mseric

mseric New Member

Something isn't right here.

Brass doesn't bulge at the bottom and wear out. It becomes brittle/work hardened in the neck and shoulder area. This work hardened brass can be brought back to life by annealing the necks.

Got a picture of these "bulged at the bottom" cases?

18. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

I think mseric has got something here. Pictures of these cases will definitely help us work out what is or has happened.
    Get a piece of tie wire or something similar about the length of 2 cases long and put a bend or "leg" in 1 end like a small "L" shape.

Now insert this "L" shape bit of wire into the empty case and see if you can feel a furrow that is about 2/3rds of the way down the inside of the case.
    If you do feel a furrow then that case is stuffed as it's about to split which is incipient case separation due to brittle brass and a lot of work.

Have you measured the length of your cases as they may be too long and need trimming back to a minimum length which is 2.160" long and this may be causing the die to actually crush the case down causing the bulge.

19. mseric

mseric New Member

Can you be more specific as to what you did with your FL die?

There really isn't a lot of "Messing" that can be done to get FL sized brass to chamber.

Basically, screw the die into the press until it contacts the shell holder.
    Lower the ram and screw the die into the press 1/4 turn More.

Lube and size a fired case. See if it chambers and extracts with ease. If yes, your are done Lock it down and double check. If No, screw the die into the press a little at a time until it does chamber.

20. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I screwed my die in tell it touched the shell holder. then sized a case and tried it and I kept screwing it down a little at a time. but it was still hard to close my bolt handle thats why I took it to him thinking he can point out what's wrong and thats when he told my cases was worn out and I should toss them. I got pictures of them but not enuff service to post them I have to wait till I go to town.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013