I call B/S

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by MobileMarine, May 7, 2011.

1. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

LIke I have said in previous post , we have a 45ac flooded rock quarry that is 450yrs bank to bank , the bench rest is about 50ft above the water with the range being @ water level . Just for giggles we got out the 9 - 38-357-40-44-45 -.17 -22lr . NONE would hit the other side , I would estimate a 50-100yrd short fall before the rounds just flopped into the water . So Im going to call big B/s on the 1.5 mile range written on the side of the ammo boxes . On the other hand I was very suprised how flat a 7.62x39 steel cased round will shoot . I could pick off a 3in diameter pole with iron sights @ 450 on a norinco sks . Out of all of the round that did not make it the .17 hmr suprised me the most @ its short falls , and i think the .22 lr made it the furthest , maybe the 17 just dont have enough *** behind it :confused: . I was almost sure I could at least thump some one in the head with one of the rounds at that distance

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great post. Don't know what I can add but very interesting.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

the 1.5 mile thing on the box lets ya know under ideal conditions with the proper elevation with the wind in the bullet's favour the round is capable of traveling up to that distance. never underestimate the power of murphy.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Hitting the ground, or water in this case, because of gravity and running out of force, i.e. velocity are different. All bullets eventually arc downwards, when the round hit the water it still had velocity and forward momentum, it just ran out of room. Shoot the same round at a 45 degree angle to the water and see if it makes the other bank.

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Sooo, if I shoot straight out from the top of Mt. Everest is that where the manufacturers get the maximum range measurement? We're not going to do that bullet fired in space thing again!

Interesting post mobile! Something I've thought about for a long time.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You sir are dead wrong.

First that would be a bullet fired at a 45* angle. First if you are shooting down hill that is going to be a problem as well. Plus a bullet starts to drop the instant it exits the barrel as well it starts losing velocity the millisecond it exits the barrel. You are missing so major factors in your equations. bullets NEVER EVER EVER rise above the line of the boar it is an impossibility. Bullets may raise in relation to the line of sight but never ever above the line of the boar.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

True, Your sight line and projectile intersect in 2 places. A fat chick is still fat even if your looking down! your sight line is at a lower angle then the bore and starts above it.

8. russ

russ New Member

Ever watch Impossible Shots on the Outdoor Channel? Several weeks ago, Bob Munden popped a baloon at 600 yards with a 1911. Saw it on TV so it must be true.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have a sweet spot on my sights w/ my S&W 19-4 w/ a 6" barrel that makes it possible to actually take 100 yard shots at an 8" target possible w/ my 158gr hunting loads.
    Not that I would hunt real game except for maybe coyotes or 2 legged vermin at that range.

10. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I know that if I aim at the neck of a std. B-27 target with my 4" 19-4 I will take out the chest @ 100 yards, with 145gr 357 Silvertips

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

pistols 013.jpg

I'll bet you a beer this .357 can make you dance at 450 yds. It is not going to pop ballons (with every shot) at that range, but it WILL put rounds in that area.

12. armoredman

armoredman Active Member

Consistantly hitting a 3 inch target at 450 yards with an SKS? Wow, I'm impressed, seriously. That's an approximate 75 inch drop, too, according to the Remington ballistics calculator for 7.62x39mm. My hat is off to you, sir, best I can do is one rare 1 3/4 inch group at 300 yards, and consistant 2-2.5 inch groups at 200 yards with a front rested rested bolt action 527M carbine. :)

13. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I know this but I was trying a control experiment . The aim on all were level as to where we were shooting . We were no aiming @ the bank 50ft below us 450yrs away , we were going for trees and tree tops .Google map lake johnson wendell , nc . we shoot off the bald spot down to the what looks like a horses mouth . I was out there yesterday and fired the k frame .22 @ about a 45 and its closer but still wont hit the bank . Now I have ' by mistake ' killed a canadian goose in the swamp behind my house @ 150-200yrs with the 6 in k .22 . yea my mouth popped open on that one . I can also shoot deer with buck shot @ 1000yrs on cabelas deer hunt lol

14. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Note that i did not say how tight the groups were or how many rounds were fired :D @ 450 a 3in pole looks like a fishing string with iron sights including the ones that skimmed it , there were 5 out of 12-13 rounds . I know most think the ak is just a toy and the sks is the poor mans ak , both deserve a decent amount of respect or the round does at least , its no 22-250 or 300winmag but i still dont want to be on the business end of it .
    we were 50ft higher than the range sooo im not sure how that would calculate

15. orangello

orangello New Member

True dat on Murphy!

One of my coworkers at my last job had this kid with the absolute worst luck. He & a buddy were shooting turtles in his buddy's family pond. IIRC, buddy had a .410 & the kid had a .22 of some sort. One of his .22 rounds ended up over a mile away in some elementary school-aged kid's head. .22 boy ended up getting picked up by the police, but IIRC, the DA decided not to press charges. Boy was very lucky that kid didn't die.

16. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

id rather get shot w/a 357 than a .22 . good chance the 357 will stay in a straight line , 22 may go in you gut , bouce around your head and come out your *** . I like the mythbusters special on underwater shots , all of the larger faster rounds came apart when they hit the water but the smaller 22's and such were the most dangerous , pops had one go off in the living room floor just to come back up in the back bed room closet ???????

17. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

I almost cried when I saw them put that M1 Garand underwater on Mythbusters....