I bought a new Kel-Tec P11 last night.

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Don Davis, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I bought a new Kel-Tec P11 last night.

[​IMG]

I was wanting a 9mm in as small a package as I could get.

After looking at many brands - I narrowed my search to comparing the Taurus Slim , the Kel-Tec 9 - and the Kel-Tec P11 - all 9mm

All were small, light, and can be carried in my front pocket (I'm a big guy).

All are larger than my Ruger LCP.

I finally decided on the P11 because of :
    Mag capacity
    It is a true double action with a hammer (I like hammers)
    The P11 has double-strike capability.

It's not meant to be a target gun, but a CCW gun.

I'm going to the range today - now we'll see how it shoots.

:cool:

2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Congrats on the new gun!

I have a Keltec P32 and they're great guns for the price.

I have noticed with the P11 that if you have difficulty reassembing it after cleaning, it's usually because the guide rod/recoil spring assembly has to be placed just so or the slide won't go on right.

3. pumpkinball

pumpkinball New Member

Congrats! I'm glad to see someone get a new gun. Every firearm that is sold just makes it that much harder for anyone to take away the 2nd admendment. I myself had been looking very hard at the pf9, but my only thing is that I like to spend lots of time shooting mine. The recoil is the problem I hear everyone talking about. Good luck. I hope you get lots of use out of it. Let know how the range visit goes.

4. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

Thanks.

I do not expect the recoil to be good on this gun - it will probably be very harsh.

I always shoot my carry gun to keep my confidence in it up and to keep very familiar with it.

But it's no target gun and will shot a lot less than my other guns.

:cool:

5. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

Well I went to the range today and put about 125 rounds through my P11.

I found the following:

It does not kick anywhere near as hard as I expected.

It was more accurate than I expected.

I found that the trigger needs a little de-horning on the tip to keep it from digging into your finger - like the trigger tip needs to have the bump on the tip removed.

I had 4 jams (mainly stove pipes - failure to completely remove the spent shell) out of my 1st 120 rounds - more than I expected .

It fit well in my front pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis holster.

It fit well in my hand.

I need to add the finger extension on each of my magazines.

I think I'm going to replace the plastic guide rod with a stainless steel rod (no reason other than looks)

Trigger pull is longer than I expected, but fairly consistent in where it breaks.

Sights are much better than my Ruger LCP.

I'm eager to clean it and finish "breaking it in".

If the ejection (stove pipes) go away.

Overall - I very satisfied with my Kel-Tec 11.

.:cool:

6. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

cool picture and cool gun

cool picture and cool gun, definitely a good buy:)

Very right on the trigger issue, the seams on the frame will cut you too, I used fine sandpaper.

Since I'm right handed I had to smooth the trigger more towards the right side, almost at an angle, the contact feels more natural.

I found the grip extension had to be smoothed out more than anything, is very sharp, haven't tried hollow points only fmj, maybe that is the problem, those rounds on the picture seem to have a very flat nose.
    [​IMG]

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congrats! It sounds like it just needs some more breaking in.

8. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

+1 gatopardo

Those bullets in the picture are P+ hydra shock hollow points.

They are only for self defense carry - not the range.

Although I have to shoot enough of them to be certain that the gun functions using them.

But during break in I don't use anything but FMJ.

:)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  9. jbd

jbd New Member

I've had two different Kel-Tec handguns the 32 and 380 both are nice guns for the money. Good luck with yours and happy shooting.

10. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Just a thought

This is an idea, since the magazine on this pistols is so straight forward, I'd say the problem lies on the feeding ramp.

Try this:cool: take a piece of the finest sandpaper you can find for metal, and try to polish the feeding ramp starting at the bottom, that has help me with some of my hardware.

Another situation could be a wrist limp,:eek: this pistol lifts the barrel almost 45 degrees with every shot and because of the grip size and "snappiness", you could try a wrist wrap,( can get it at academy) we shoot keltecs a lot at the range and we make a point to completely embrace the strong hand phalanges with the weak hand, contrary to use it like a saucer, shoot in this manner with rapid fire it feels like someone is slapping your hand upwards:p

11. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

Congrats! ive had my p-11 for awhile and its a cool gun for the price. I got mine from a gun show that comes to cincinnati every so often, paid under $ for $300 it. one thing i hate is the rod! its a ***** to fit back in but you will get the hang of it. Im looking to upgrade to a glock or a springfield next.

12. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I wouldn't be surprised at all if I was "limp wristing " it.

I didn't concentrate on my grip and probably should.

I will next time.

I shoot so many and most are full size - I wasn't paying attention.

13. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I am surprised that you chose the P-11 over the PF-9. The trigger pull on the PF-9 is a vast improvement over the P-11 although you lose magazine capacity. That trigger pull on the P-11 is a deal breaker for me. Its a true double action only!

14. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I bought it because of the very small size difference.

Weight difference was weight of more rounds.

Larger Magazine Capacity P11 12+1 and P9 7 + 1.

And the P11 has double-strike capability - the P9 does not.

:)

15. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

The only thing I dont like about P-11's is the trigger. Double stack capacity is nice for sure and the weight difference is minimal. If you can shoot it then thats all that counts.

16. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

Congrats! I have the Pf-9 and it is great love it.

17. Thelt

Thelt New Member

I have a PF9 and it is a pretty good gun. I put a grip pad and sleeve on it to help tame the recoil and that helped. I have put 100 rounds through it with no failures.