I believe...

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by danf_fl, May 20, 2010.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

That when purchasing a used 1911, there are 4 springs that should be changed:
    1. Recoil spring
    2. Firing pin spring
    3. Sear spring
    4. Main spring

Expecially if you do not know how many rounds have been shot through it.
    The exception to this is if you do not plan on shooting your new purchase and have a place on the wall or in the safe for it.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'll of course give it a check out but the only spring I generally replace straight away is the recoil spring. As far as the others - only if there are problems. Doesn't hurt to do but I really believe if it ain't broke - don't fix it...

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I wouldn't replace any springs until I had a box of ammo downrange.

And I would not send that box downrange before a complete field strip and inspection of all the parts.

The recoil spring can be tested simply by looking at the slide timing, is it experiencing any FTF/FTE?

Also where is the spent brass landing? Imagine this, take a step right, lay down perpendicular to the shooting line and make a snow angel. If your brass is within this area, there shouldn't be a recoil spring issue. If the brass is at your feet or in the next county over, you have a cycling issue.

Look at the spent casings and inspect the primers. If you see a clean dimple, don't bother with the FP spring. If the strike looks light, you may need a lighter spring. If the FP strike is mushrooming the primer, you need to install a heaver spring.

Unless you are shooting as much as Renee Tyson, you are not going to wear out a sear spring or mainspring in your life time! Now with the two costing <$15, change away but replace with stock pressure springs unless you are doing a trigger job.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Unknown origins of springs, how long have they been in there, how many rounds have been fired is the biggest thing. If I replace springs, then I have no question. While we experienced people may get by with inspections, where the round gets ejected to, etc..., there are some people who do not look at that when they purchase a used 1911.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  5. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

I don't look at any of that when I purchase a 1911.
    I generally take it apart and clean it if needed and check it out for obvious defects. Other than that I oil and shoot it a lot.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The recoil spring is the only one I'm going to look at. That being I take the weapon down to clean it anyway so it's just sitting there asking me to look at it. I keep a few around here and I'll side by side springs (of the same #) checking for one that is a little too used. Usually it's a three coil loss thing for me Once it gets there it's time to change it. Any other spring I'm not going to even think about until I sling some lead down range. Those other springs don't wear at near the rate a recoil spring will. So I'll take the wont fix it till it's broke mentality on those.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks for the post. I hope to be the proud owner of a 1911 in the near future.

8. Wambli

Wambli Member

Outstanding advice. I'm not in the habit of fixing what ain't broke.

9. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

A complete Wolffe 1911 spring kit is 17.99 from Brownells...probably less elsewhere...Of course one could invest in a compression spring gauge if you are so inclined. Either way, the recoil spring is the one to watch. ;)

10. Bob Hostetter

Bob Hostetter New Member

I think I would shoot it first to make sure it was functioning properly so if there was a problem after changing the springs I would know where to look first.