I am so unprepared

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by oldshooter, Jul 31, 2011.

1. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

I downloaded a book yesterday. It is called "One Second After" by William Forsthen. As I smugly started reading it I thought I had all my bases covered if TSHTF tomorrow. There are things mentioned in that book that I NEVER considered. I have about 40 acres around me that I will have to defend from the bad guys. My wife has said she will not fight. If it all goes to hell she doesn't want to live through it and there is nothing I can do to change her mind.

In this life I fear no man. I highly respect some but fear only God and my wife. And not always in that order.

Reading this book is a real wake up call as to how unprepared most of us are in a really bad situation. If society breaks down one man or one family doesn't stand much of a chance. So my advice is to make allies and prepare, prepare, prepare.
    To be very candid Im worried. This has made me take another look at my situation and supplies. I'm headed to town this evening and buying some bulk items that at the very least will be good barter items and maybe be supplies for the good guys that come. I have set up methods to prevent the zombies from getting it tho.

charlie 8 out

2. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

3. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

Main battle gun is M4 or Mini 14. Both in .223. My snipe gun is my 6 MM remington or .308 Remington. The 6 is custom built and is good out to a little better than 600 yrds with the 24 power scope. (old eyes )

4. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I think you're better prepared than you think. :cool:

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I know what you mean. That book was an eye opener. I had been concerned about EMP, but that really brought it home.

I have some EMP proof bags on order from this outfit: Ready Made Resources Solar Power Disaster Preparedness Store Emergency Supplies

I figure to stash walkie talkies, a solar/crank radio and some other basics in them. I'm putting a compass in there too just for general principle.

I don't know if you are storing bulk foods or not, but they also sell mylar bags and oxygen absorbers.

The rest of the stuff they sell is a little high in price, but it's a good site to browse for ideas.

6. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I figured for an EMP I'd get replacement fuses for my bike. I'm not sure if it'll affect phones & such though.

7. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

Im actually not too worried about EMP. What scares me is the breakdown that is coming when the welfare system stops. California is one of the most welfare dependant states in the Union and if the honey stops flowing there with be havoc in the cities that will spread like a forest fire.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's why we got out of Sacramento. I'd have preferred to leave CA entirely, but this is where my wife is happy.

9. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Oh God :eek: I see where you're coming from. There's also a fault line to consider. L.A. would be considered a death trap from those two factors.

10. usmcprofessional

usmcprofessional New Member

this is why i question every survival post that comes across about how a .22 rifle will be a perfect survival rifle. then i mention you need to get bigger better stuff homie, and i get "why?".

survival dosent mean hunting and foraging. survival means fortify and defend. good job on figuring that out before you have to learn the hard way that their are smart dangerious animals that will hunt you when in the time of need.

on the side note, your inventory sounds awesome. but if i could add 1 more thing id add an AK. sorry, just impartial speeking for me.

11. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

This is the peoples republic of Calif . Buying an decent AK is almost impossible here. Besides all the hoops you have to jump through make it almost not worthwhile.
    Although I do seem to remember the old chinese and russian AK's worked quite well.

12. usmcprofessional

OH...you live in a communist state. im sorry. well i suggest you move the f**k out of that hole or just plan to do what everyone else there plans on doing when SHTF. Die. its not like they give you much of a choice to much else there.

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Disneyland, Sea World, Knotts Berry Farms and Universal Studios are always fun choices. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  14. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

I moved out of the urban environment to the country because of crime and potential SHTF scenarios. No one is going to be 100% prepared for it. Example: Me. I thought I was completely prepared for 6 months, food, water, heat, lighting, etc. Five years ago, a line of severe thunderstorms and tornado's came along and we were w/o power for eleven days. No biggie, we be prepared. It was mid-July and the daily high temperatures were 97-102. Broke out the gear, fired up the generator (lot's of gas), plugged in the fridge and deep freeze, satellite TV and life is good. Needless to say, after a few hours it started to get awful hot in the house, then it hit me :eek:

You dumb a$$, you don't have a portable window a/c to sleep comfortably at night. The low temp. in the house got to 80 degrees when the sun started coming up in the a.m. Talk about not being able to sleep, even with fans blasting away. I don't know how I survived as a kid when no one I knew even had a/c. During that time people were driving 50+ miles to stores that had electricity to stay open and buying generators, window units, etc. They were sold out 100+ miles from the impact areas. Until gas stations / stores got emergency generators, no one could get gas, food, ice, etc. When they slowly started to open the lines and attitudes of people were in combat mode. I'm the most impotent person here and use owes me mentality. One of the reasons I'm a ridge runner now :D

Oh yea, I forgot. In a quiet subdivision you can't hide the fact you have electricity. Loud humm or the generator, light penetrating your curtains when every house is pitch black at night. Anyway, just after two days, people started trickling by a few at a time, asking if we had any ice, etc. we could spare. Then more and more came. It was a full time job supplying ice / cold drinks etc. I don't need to be psychic to know that if this was an extended situation and/or things were dire, there would be no asking after awhile. Was this long winded or what.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  15. usmcprofessional

...so when SHTF i should go to Disneyland if im in California? ehh, why the hell not. least it wont be crowded.

16. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Well, you always got Six Flags there in Texas too! ;)

17. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I still have to protect my electronics (Generator, Radio, Inverter) from EMP. My vehicle is vulnerable due to the alternator with integral voltage regulator that replaced the generator a few years back. I need more small caliber 22LR ammo, 12 ga., .308
    Win, 223 and 5.56X45mm, a pellet rifle in .22 and pellets, a wrist rocket type sling shot, an array of automotive batteries and portable a solar charging system, and more long storage foods.

Planning on canning corned beef, tuna, roast beef, chicken, and turkey every year. I need to build some storage space. It is a matter of time and money! I have the time but no money!! :D

18. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

There are actually 3 major faults that pretty much cover all of cali making it pretty much all screwed except for the north east corner, but that is right next to mt shasta(volcano) which also convenienly for us ca peels, we have the most active volcanos in the lower 48

19. bkt

bkt New Member

Pretty much every state in the union has big cities filled with moocher gimme-pigs who will go nuts when they can't get what they want or need. This is my concern, too.

20. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

I live about 45 miles west of Lassen Peak and about 70 miles south of Shasta. Then,off course there is all of the earth faults that run thru Calif. I can't do much more than I already have to survive natural disasters. It's the human disasters that really worry me.