I am puzzled.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by txpossum, Jul 4, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I am puzzled by people who post on this forum, asking what gun would be best for -- well, just fill in the blank: carry, survival, plinking, self defense, whatever. I never have this problem -- in fact, for every scenario I can imagine, guns I want just seem to jump out at me.

And it's getting harder and harder to justify buying more on the basis of any sort of rational "need". My "what if's" just keep getting more extreme. What if I wake up one night by a noise in the backyard, and have to shoot a polar bear in my pajamas (how a polar bear got in my pajamas I don't know. Sorry). What if Cuban/North Korean paratroopers invade Western PA, and I need a good long distance rifle to snipe 'em off. I think I have zombies covered, dammit . . . oh wait, one of those take down 10-22's would fit perfectly in the truck of my car.

And, of course, for each gun that fills one of these necessary purposes, I need a spare. What if something happened to my primary? Then I wouldn't have one if I didn't have an extra. But then, my back up would be my primary, and I wouldn't have a backup . . . so I need a back up for my back up.

What if I have to forage for ammo due to . . . EMP, zombies, plague, alien invasion, whatever . . . and you other bastards have taken all the .308 ammo . . . AND the 30-06 . . . but wait, you left the .300 savage AND .38 super.

I haven't even mentioned giant reptiles yet. Hey, it COULD happen. Is a 30-06 enough gun? I'd hate to be half in the gator's gullet thinking about that .300 H&H that I ALMOST bought. To late now, chomp chomp chomp.

Better safe than sorry, right?

2. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I guess it could happen... :p

Attached Files:

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

see! See! These things could happen!

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You never know.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoVp4oNBI1s[/ame]

5. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Common sense should over ride all scenarios here ..! What would be the most
    Multiple purpose in any of many scenarios ..? This would be a personal thing depending on demographics , personal expections , etc.!

I have chosen three things and they are all diverse.! And yeah , stealth is in there .! If you can't see me , the better for me ..! ;)

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Possum... I hear you.

If the 2 dozen I own can't get it done, it's probably undoable.

However... Now that I can own a supressor in WA State, I'm thinking a suppressed .22LR pistol and 10 back up mags would come in handy durring the Zombie Appocolypse...

According to "Walking Dead" gunshots are like ringing the dinner bell drawing in 5 more for every one you shoot.... Right? :D

Tack

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i pretty much look for and buy the ones that appeal to me. mostly these days it's about cartrdges that i want to own firearms in and not about a specific need to fill with any firearm. i have those needs pretty much covered.

at some point, i would even like to get into some of the reproduction black powder firearms. i have shot very few of them, but it looks to be quite fun. most of what i buy is what i think will be enjoyable to shoot or something i can find to work on. i enjoy working on my own firearms. my greatest enjoyment is owning and shooting very accurate bolt actions.

8. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I understand your dilemma,,, I didn't figure a .41 or .44 mag was enough for rogue T. Rex, so I picked up a Freedom Arms 83 in .500 Wyoming Express,,, I have 3 1911's,, 2 Blackhawks and a Colt clone, several varied .22 lr pistols and rifles,,, the various applications and scenarios can drive one buggy to say the least,, my wife has the same trouble with trap guns although clay birds do not represent a global threat to me,,, but the folks down at the LGS's like to see us walk into the door,, good luck with your affliction,, I am still working on recovery to little avail.

9. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Here you go::eek::D

Attached Files:

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The game of "What if..." is an interesting game.

I would rather play the "Let's avoid....."

11. yazul42

That should take are of any large varmints in the tri-county area Dflynt,, as long as ammo isn't regulated of existence,,, have to use a steer shoulder for a holster though,,, lean it on a fence post to touch it off and fanning is out of the question.

12. dango

I am also puzzled , it's a way of life ....! :confused: :D

13. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Hey...That looks like a Ruger...but i cant find it on their website....I think i need one...:D

14. dango

Yo your hotness , don forgets thee pork-chop...! :p :D

15. readygirl

readygirl New Member

lol......never

16. yazul42

I just wish I could have a blooper,,,,, that would definitely fill the void,, and make one if needed.

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

YES . . . YES . . . I DON'T have a gun that will shoot completely through my house yet . . . I NEED ONE!

18. txpossum

txpossum New Member

That just sounds . . . sorta dirty.

19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

^^ This^^.

If what I have at my acess won't do the job, it probably can't be done.

As far as the W\D thing goes, a 1911 and a crossbow with a good knife for back up. I see no need to unnecessarily ring the dinner bell myself, but you are free to disagree with my feelings on that.

Some scenarios that have been brought up so far have an easy solution. A single shot pistol. More than adequate to prevent undo suffering and screaming, and nobody makes T-rex loads.......

Yet. :D

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The best kept secret in the gun community is we fill our needs pretty quick. It soon becomes a want thing. Do I NEED five 22 rifles or two 357 revolvers? The other few dozen? Damn right I do!! Because I want them! And the other few dozen on my wish list.
    ...Explanation done..