I am not an alarmist but.... about the outbreak

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bluez, Jan 25, 2020.

1. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I am a citizen of the UK and northern Ireland, as i said the UK prime ministers usually gives the update.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    towboater likes this.
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Good to know, will file this away for the future.

What political party is the First Minister of N.I. affiliated with?

towboater and Rifling82 like this.

3. manta

The Democratic Unionist Party.

towboater likes this.
  4. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I'm fairly well edumacated. I can read and write and count to 6. So you're saying the First Minister of Northern Ireland is about as important as the Governor of Arkansas.
    Yet you keep spouting superiority. No wonder we had to save your butts in consecutive wars.

Ghost1958 and towboater like this.
  5. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

On a lighter note. SecNav Modly has been relegated to the dustbin of history: He resigned today. Rather than listen to the advice of the CNO, Modly called the relieved captain an idiot in a rant to the carrier crew.

towboater and W.T. Sherman like this.
  6. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

It was a little more complicated than that . Modly didn't outright call him an idiot . Modly's use of the word " betrayed " implied that the Captain might have committed an offense worthy of court-martial .

I support freedom of speech , so I would be inclined to favor a rebuttal to Modly's speech instead of firing . Of course, the sailers on that ship are not permitted to speak against Modly so...

Here's the speech in its entirety :https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/politics/thomas-modly-transcript/index.html

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  7. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

Here's a clue about the mask shortage :https://www.npr.org/2020/04/02/825200206/doctors-say-hospitals-are-stopping-them-from-wearing-masks

I'm just a dumb security guard but...
    Why can't the medical personnel put all of their masks in a SoClean machine or equivalent
    to clean them overnight, let the masks air out for a few hours after and then re-use them ?
    The SoClean uses ozone and if it works for CPAP masks , it should logically follow that it will work for medical masks . ANDDDD : Even if there is some chance of failure to completely disinfect ( which I doubt ), wouldn't it still be better to have re-used masks than none at all ?

As the Freakonomics books advise , reframe the problem ! It isn't a problem of making enough masks ; the problem is HAVING enough masks .

JTJ, winds-of-change and primer1 like this.
  8. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

9. Gatoragn

https://www.aier.org/article/stand-up-for-your-rights-says-professor-knut-m-wittkowski/

With all respiratory diseases, the only thing that stops the disease is herd immunity. About 80% of the people need to have had contact with the virus, and the majority of them won’t even have recognized that they were infected, or they had very, very mild symptoms, especially if they are children. So, it’s very important to keep the schools open and kids mingling to spread the virus to get herd immunity as fast as possible, and then the elderly people, who should be separated, and the nursing homes should be closed during that time, can come back and meet their children and grandchildren after about 4 weeks when the virus has been exterminated….

We are experiencing all sorts of counterproductive consequences of not well-thought-through policy….

Well, we will see maybe a total of fewer cases—that is possible. However, we will see more cases among the elderly, because we have prevented the school children from creating herd immunity. And so, in the end, we will see more death because the school children don’t die, it’s the elderly people who die, we will see more death because of this social distancing….

If we had herd immunity now, there couldn’t be a second wave in autumn. Herd immunity lasts for a couple of years, typically, and that’s why the last SARS epidemic we had in 2003, it lasted 15 years for enough people to become susceptible again so that a new epidemic could spread of a related virus. Because typically, there is something that requires cross-immunity, so if you were exposed to one of the SARS viruses, you are less likely to fall ill with another SARS virus. So, if we had herd immunity, we wouldn’t have a second wave. However, if we are preventing herd immunity from developing, it is almost guaranteed that we have a second wave as soon as either we stop the social distancing or the climate changes with winter coming or something like that….

[Extreme reactions] cost the US taxpayer $2 trillion, in addition to everything else that it costs, but it also has severe consequences for our social life, and depression is definitely something that we will be researching. I can say for myself, walking through New York City right now is depressing….

We should be resisting, and we should, at least, hold our politicians responsible. We should have a discussion with our politicians. One thing we definitely need to do, and that would be safe and effective, is opening schools. Let the children spread the virus among themselves, which is a necessity to get herd immunity. That was probably one of the most destructive actions the government has done. We should focus on the elderly and separating them from the population where the virus is circulating. We should not prevent the virus from circulating among school children, which is the fastest way to create herd immunity….

10. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

fat chance of that every happening. parents are main culprits why we have a nation of sickly kids, they become so panicky of keep johnny and jane in a germ free environment, that they use anti-bacterial soap, cleaner etc….. on every surface, slater their kids in hand sanitizer etc... so the kids immune system doesn't evolve to fight off infections, viruses etc.....

so when they do get a infection, virus, cold etc... it far worst on their sickly bodies then it should be.

11. Gatoragn

My older brothers used to tell me to let the dog lick it when I got a minor cut or a scratch. :p I lived to tell the tales. :)

ellis36 and winds-of-change like this.
  12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I think it might have more to do with the durability of the mask material. It really isn’t anything very strong. Balota and I have a Soclean. They do not have a very large cleaning area. But I wonder about other sterilizing tactics. There are some dry sterilizing techniques used in hospitals for things like gauzes.

13. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

14. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Most excellent idea... but are you 100% sure all the disease is killed every single time? If you can't guarantee 100% virus kill 99.999% of the time, then it would be a liability to the health care system.

15. manta

Have you a link to that information. ?

16. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

"Rub dirt in it!" And we did! It would stop the bleeding!

ellis

17. manta

Its not difficult Northern Ireland has its own assembly with certain powers, the UK government has powers over the military etc.
    I take it from that post you do not like the system of government in America were the states have powers, and the federal government has powers. You would like all the power centralized in the Federal government hands. o_O

18. manta

So let the children bring it home and infect their parents and grand parents millions of who will be elderly or have underling health issues, sounds sensible. o_O

leadcounsel likes this.
  19. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

AMEN Brother. If we don't do that and do it right now, we will sink even lower into what we already have. And, known world round as a Service Economy country.

alsaqr likes this.
  20. Gatoragn

I copied and pasted text from the article I linked. Ask the folks that wrote the article.