I am not an alarmist but.... about the outbreak

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bluez, Jan 25, 2020.

1. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

alsaqr and towboater like this.
  2. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

The common ones cops use around here are "you were swerving," even though you weren't, or "your rear license plate light is out," even though it isn't. These are usually used after 11 p.m. when they couldn't find a real reason to pull you over.

If stay at home orders start up here, i'm sure they will resort to the old stand-bys.

alsaqr likes this.

3. Sierra 173

Sierra 173 Active Member

sheriffjohn, alsaqr and primer1 like this.
  4. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the movie, Dr. Strangelove . The president says ," General Turgidson, I am becoming less and less impressed by what you think is possible ." ( or something along those lines )

" I don't think we should condemn the whole system because of one little screw-up. "
    -Gen. Buck Turgidson USAF-

alsaqr likes this.
  5. Rentacop

Good heavens ! A large part of this country has reacted irrationally, selfishly , greedily, dishonestly....
    This is not America's proudest moment .

The CDC lied about masks being useless for average people and now wants everyone to wear one . They give silly advice indicating that as long as a gathering doesn't reach 10 persons, it isn't risky . They said you had to cough and now we find out you only have to breathe to spread the germs . They say 6 feet is a safe distance between people and now admit that air currents can alter that . They said animals couldn't catch it and are still confident that animals can't transmit it .
    They pretend that grocery shopping won't undermine the quarantine efforts .

Then there's Trump, who sets the example by not wearing a mask and not demanding all governors shut things down . After a hero Navy Captain gets fired, Trump supports the firing .

The Democrats are only interested in using the virus to loot the treasury and get a senile old jerk elected President .

Let's not forget the spring break crowds, the international travel, the packed bars, the Mardi Gras and the parade through New York .

We need some old-fashioned common sense, honesty, respect for authority , citizenship , responsibility, regard for others and maturity .

[ End of Rant ]

6. RKtullahoma

RKtullahoma Well-Known Member Supporter

7. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Hero Navy Captain. I suppose you never served

8. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

9. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

JimRau likes this.
  10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

This goes back to the basic premise that you are innocent until PROVEN guilty, the 'state' has to have 'evidence' to prove you are 'guilty' of a 'violation', you do not have to present any evidence on your behave. If a person is 'stopped' while driving they are NOT free to leave, thus they are IN CUSTODY (The courts have made this LAW for decades), and if the officer asks 'questions' that is an INTERROGATION (except to ID you). The Miranda warning applys to CUSTODIAL INTERROGATION, thus you have the right to 'remain silent'. In that case the officer has no 'evidence' that you 'violated' any CV order so he would have no choice but to say 'Have a nice day' and give you back your 'papers' and walk away unless he had a traffic violation he wished to cite you for! Now here is the real kicker. Every one I know in LE have been instructed to LIMIT THEIR CONTACTS TO ONLY THOSE ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY! So do you think we in LE are going to consider these 'orders' as ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY (random no PC stops)???? Those of us in LE who any common sense will not!!!;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    sheriffjohn likes this.
  11. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Restaurants open here, drive through or take out.
    I went to get some food, and a cop followed me.
    He turned off before I got to the restaurant.

Post office to mail bills, out for grub, all I do.
    Am at home otherwise (well i did drive to the gun club, there was one other vehicle there ....is 50 yards apart social distancing- BTW the wind was from me to them).

Neighbors had folks over, drinking beer in driveway.
    WTF...........rednecks. Their place (a few houses down) is a dump.
    I suspect their hygiene is spectacular.

Pretty much avoid people, have for decades.
    Think last flu I got was 20 yrs ago.

sheriffjohn, Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The worse the hygiene, the stronger the immune system.;) This is a 'positive' for 'dirty' people.:D

winds-of-change and Hookeye like this.
  13. Hookeye

Too many think this shut down of stuff is to STOP the virus.
    It is merely to SLOW IT DOWN so medical facilities can handle the load.
    You can do everything right and still get it, from an idiot or somebody else.

Less than 10 people, 6 feet apart, can be passed by conversation.....

Um, didn't need the CDC to tell me that stuff.

Animals getting it? Maybe. Can we shoot strays now? ;)

Rifling82 likes this.
  14. Hookeye

Yes, is this killing the homeless or just making them poop more on the street?

primer1 and JimRau like this.
  15. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't wait to start acting like a pig again.

16. Hookeye

Interesting fact........as of today, in my city........we've had more murders than COVID deaths.

And most of the murders done by teen thugs.

See if they can keep up over the next two weeks.

towboater, ellis36, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  17. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Dope addicts and criminals aren't likely to suddenly change. Folks staying at home will curtail normal burglars but supply lines from mexico being cut down should raise the price of street drugs. Side note - Illinois legal marijuana sales topped $35 million in March. I'm no fan of dope but seems to me a way to get at least part of the economy going would be to legalize MJ nationwide for taxable sales and kick out low-level pot inmates from federal, state, and local correctional facilities to avoid astronomical cost of treating inmates for the virus. They could be on parole rather than us paying the bill and if they violate parole, then lock 'em up again. Just a thought.

Gatoragn, primer1 and alsaqr like this.
  18. Rentacop

Correct. I never served ....but I have worked on federal government contracts and seen how bureaucracies will risk the lives of security guards through sheer stupidity .

I'm confident that the Captain was sure his requests were being ignored before doing what he needed to do to save his men .

primer1 likes this.
  19. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

I’m not. I think he cracked up under pressure. He is a navy pilot with a distinguished service record. He used to handle stress in his career like most of us can only imagine. But he is still human. He had only been in charge of the TR for a couple of months. It is not my place to judge him, but I believe he had to go. He sent 20 or 30 copies of that letter around. Who leaked it isn’t public info yet, but that was a sure thing waiting to happen. The Chinese and the Russians were delighted to know we have an aircraft carrier group partially incapacitated.

The Captain had reached his limits, and it was his superiors responsibility to relieve him. I hope he recuperates and returns to duty if he wishes to continue.

Hookeye and towboater like this.
  20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Do you live in Chicago?

towboater likes this.