I am not an alarmist but.... about the outbreak

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bluez, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

The younger people are not social distancing.
    Yesterday being payday, I guess, the Walmart was packed.
    Not far from it, Meijer. Maybe 10 cars in parking lot.

People are having cookouts, parties.........are not practicing social distancing.
    Most of them are under 40.
    And a lot of them are younger...........those folks in the 'hood.

They think no school and no job, the gov check coming.........this is all fun.

Talk about an entitlement mindset.

Just wait and see how things are when 4-15 comes and they extend the code orange til 4-30.....or 5-15.

Could get interesting.

2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Governor Parsons of Missouri announced at 5 pm yesterday a state-wide stay at home order. Word had leaked out that it was coming but the order wasn't a "lockdown", but basically identified the "Funnel Effect" of the whole shebang that's caused massive crowding of Wal-Marts, Grocery Stores, etc caused by panicked people trying to stock up for themselves. As he pointed out, crowds are where many people are exposed, so the order will limit the number of people inside the stores at one time to limit crowded conditions. Presented on Friday afternoon, the order doesn't go into effect until 12:01 AM on Monday. Well ....

Friday afternoon Walmart's parking lot was full. Today (Saturday) the lines to check out spanned the entire width of the store, people juggling purchases in their arms trying to corral kids, frozen goods thawing, etc. because carts were all in use. It's NUTS ! If they'd just wait until after Monday shoppers will be limited to 10% of the local fire department's maximum occupancy inside the store at a time. The rest of the order was equally common sense - 10 person limit on gatherings, essential businesses still open, etc. He also did away with the renewal requirement for Concealed Carry permits, doing away with the requirement for permit holders to go to their Sheriff's Offices to renew their permits. Activated the National Guard to assist hospitals, nursing homes, and local health departments .

We lost our first "normal person" this week, an orthodontist (early 60's) and nearly lifelong friend of mine to the virus. It's everywhere. Take care.

alsaqr and primer1 like this.

3. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

And here I was thinking it is because they are major international air hubs.

4. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Not to monopolize forum space, but to create an understanding of "Social distancing" problems in rural America that could be problematic in the food chain. First - livestock auctions - a major stop in the chain. Depending on the location, the farmer trailers his cattle, hogs ,and goats to a livestock auction barn where perhaps several hundred buyers sit in bleachers to bid on livestock paraded before them. It is a crowd event.

Second - packing plants - employs thousands of workers in an assembly line operation to kill and butcher the animals. Some are huge operations, some smaller, but essential to meat production for most of us. All plants have USDA meat inspectors on site who inspect every animal being processed. Some plants process thousands of animals at the plants. Parts of the operation require workers to be close together.

Third - (And God bless them) - Truckers who move everything from the pasture to the auction to the processing plants to the stores. Everything (and I mean everything) in our country is dependent on our Truck Driving Brothers and Sisters. Now that restaurants are basically shut down, something (I don't have a clue) needs to be done to ensure those folks can find a good meal on the road even if the rest of us have to eat Spam for awhile.

JTJ, RJF22553, primer1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Or as they say around here, 'that is the smell of money'!!!;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    winds-of-change likes this.
  6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Correct me if I am wrong here, but these 'orders' are unenforceable!!!:( They have a list of 'exceptions', so if a cop is dump enough to stop someone AT RANDOM (no PC) all that person has to say is 'I am on the way to the grocery store'!!! Or if the person say ABSOLUTE NOTHING the cop can't do a thing! The LEO has ABSOLUTELY no evidence that this person is 'in violation', as the burden of proof, the last time I checked, is on the 'state' to prove guilt, not on the 'citizen' to prove their innocents. So with out ANY EVIDENCE, let alone PC for the 'stop', the cop can't take any action but to say 'have a nice day', and give them back their 'PAPERS'!!!:rolleyes:

winds-of-change likes this.
  7. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

I think you are right but the hope is probably that an "order " with the symbolic force of law behind it will communicate the seriousness of the situation to the public and generate more compliance .

There's an old saying , " If God han't been serious, he'd have given Moses " The Ten Suggestions " .

Another quip is that Moses told God, " These might go over better if we called them 'voluntary guidelines ' . "

So who knows ?

alsaqr likes this.
  8. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

It ain't just young folks. Went to Lowes to get some paint. Two people in the entire store were wearing masks, myself and a lady. i was the only one wearing gloves.

ellis36 likes this.
  9. Hookeye

And a bunch of those fliers celebrating the new year, coming back from Wuhan.

10. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

I live rural, on a 25-acre "farm" - half of which is wetlands. We got this from a self-employed consultant/indi for IBM working from home that installed Point-of-Sale systems for several businesses. In his spare time, he had 25-head of cattle, raised pigs, and chickens. By the time we bought this farm, they were all gone. The dilapidated chicken coop (destroyed by Bobcats) was empty but still partially standing, the pig-pen was still in existence and stunk to high-Heaven on a hot humid day, and mowing the pasture was a painful experience due to the hoof-prints.
    Tearing down the chicken coop was pretty disgusting, but I must say our two dogs loved the sniffs. The most disgusting part was them licking our faces after burrowing in the mess of chicken poop. That and the stink of the pig pen and sty - particularly after a rain and a hot Virginia summer day. But 15 years on, all of that is past.

We have two horses, and they generate a LOT of poop. We spread it and use it to fill in holes and depressions. Not bad after a day or so...

Our septic system is a one-family system and gets pumped every five years or so. Built for a family of six, it does well with just my wife and me. Probably about due for another pumping...

Regarding this whole CCP-COVID-10, the latest news to break was discovery of CDC guidance from 24 March regarding reporting of COVID-19 deaths.

Should “COVID-19” be reported on the death certificate only with a confirmed test?
    COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death. Certifiers should include as much detail as possible based on their knowledge of the case, medical records, laboratory testing, etc. If the decedent had other chronic conditions such as COPD or asthma that may have also contributed, these conditions can be reported in Part II. (See attached Guidance for Certifying COVID-19 Deaths)

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/...w-ICD-code-introduced-for-COVID-19-deaths.pdf

There appears to be no requirement for an actual test that verified COVID-19 is present. So this would open up the doors for declaring a congestive heart failure or COPD patient that dies completely unrelated to COVID-19 to be added to the COVID-19 death toll since no test is necessary to attribute it to COVID-19.

THIS IS BIG (IMHO), but semi understandable at this point since testing methods are still in short supply and the docs are rather busy. But it makes the COVID-19 death tolls somewhat questionable to me. There are plenty of people who die every day from things like COPD (I suspect I have it), lung cancer (maybe I have it), kidney failure, etc. that don't have COVID-19 or would have otherwise succumbed that are included in the COVID-19 totals.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but this all seems rather smelly to me that numbers are being rigged to perhaps continue a semi-nationwide shutdown that continues to destroy our otherwise magnificent economy. Smelly enough to go out and check our septic system to see it it is leaking...

primer1 and ellis36 like this.
  11. Hookeye

I get how folks have cabin fever.
    But my city aint big, maybe 60K.
    Suburbs too.
    If ya gotta go to the store, send one person in one vehicle.
    No need to take the whole family.

If they all are going crazy, drive in the country for a bit. Gas is cheap LOL.

You keep your family away from everybody else.

Pretty simple. Yet many are not abiding by such logic. Parties, going out as groups.
    Here's one..........old people. Retired for decades, they still like to pay bills at the grocery store, send money orders and buy stuff on their normal weekly routine.

Have the $ and refuse to stock up.

Their social life is doing things the least efficient manner. And since they don't drive, they badger family members to haul them around.

My ol lady's mom like that, 80's...........refuses to drive, survived the Nazis as a kid.........said if the bug kills her so be it.

SMDH

But she made my kid drive her around. Kid is an idiot too, thinks she's had it. OK, without proof, proly ought to stay away from folks. They did go to a diff grocery store, one across the road was PACKED. The one they went to also huge, but only had 10 cars in lot.

Guess which one was Walmart LOL

12. Hookeye

When this blows over I would like to see the death count broken down by age, sex, region and ethnicity.

Diversity is NOT a strength. It isn't a weakness either. It can however pose some serious problems.

Diff cultures, abroad or at home, modern travel being quick and the world economy..............the risks are great.

Suspect there will be a worse bug come down the pike.
    And it will probably come from same area.

alsaqr likes this.
  13. Hookeye

Will be interesting how this bug affects major urban areas.
    Not hearing much about the homeless dying off.
    Maybe their immune systems beefed up by the hard life.
    Who knows.

May never get all the facts, spin for $ after.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I don’t wear gloves but I wipe the cart and let it air dry. And I hand sanitizer about every 10 minutes then once again when I get in my car. Wash hands when I get home. Most people do not wear and utilize gloves properly. They are as dirty as hands if you wear them throughout the store.

alsaqr and ellis36 like this.
  15. Hookeye

Having worked in two major manufacturing facilities (diff companies)..........I have seen the lack of hygiene by various people (import and domestic).

I was practicing social distancing before it ever was cool LOL

16. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Me too Hookeye. Ive always wiped down the shopping cart. And I don’t care for crowds. I’m happy at home away from everyone.

17. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

yeeeeeeeeeeeah, there such a thing as over-doing it :D

[​IMG]

JimRau, towboater and winds-of-change like this.
  18. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

This is borderline dreck. Just being helpful.
    You obviously have trouble judging.

austin92 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  19. Hookeye

Betting Reggies Rock Club will reschedule TBM (supposed to be end of the month) and Rotting Christ is already redone for Feb of next yr. Eh liked the prev lead guitar guy better than current.

I do like shows and the closeness doesn't phase me there.

Chicago, lots of foreigners in and out. RC being Greek, should be safer than some, like maybe K pop LOL

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I’m only in the store for a half hour or so. Hardly overdoing it. I work in a hospital. We use that hand sanitizer ALL THE TIME