I am not an alarmist but.... about the outbreak

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bluez, Jan 25, 2020.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I have no evidence this is effective. But it can’t hurt. I’m going to use it. I believe Any extra layers helps.

2. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Respirators

Respirators are designed to reduce a worker's exposure to airborne contaminants. Respirators come in various sizes and must be individually selected to fit the wearer's face and to provide a tight seal. A proper seal between the user's face and the respirator forces inhaled air to be pulled through the respirator's filter material and not through gaps between the face and respirator.

[​IMG]
    Respirators offer the best protection for workers who must work closely (either in contact with or within 6 feet) with people who have influenza-like symptoms. These generally include those workers who work in occupations classified as very high exposure risk or high exposure risk to pandemic influenza. For additional information on very high and high exposure risk occupations, please refer to OSHA Publication No. 3327, entitled Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for an Influenza Pandemic, which can be found at http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/pandemicinfluenza/index.html.

Surgical Masks

Surgical masks are used as a physical barrier to protect the user from hazards, such as splashes of large droplets of blood or body fluids.

Surgical masks also protect other people against infection from the person wearing the surgical mask. Such masks trap large particles of body fluids that may contain bacteria or viruses expelled by the wearer.

Surgical masks are used for several different purposes, including the following:

• Placed on sick people to limit the spread of infectious respiratory secretions to others.
    • Worn by healthcare providers to prevent accidental contamination of patients' wounds by the organisms normally present in mucus and saliva.
    • Worn by workers to protect themselves from splashes or sprays of blood or bodily fluids; they may also keep contaminated fingers/hands away from the mouth and nose.
    Surgical masks are not designed or certified to prevent the inhalation of small airborne contaminants. These particles are not visible to the naked eye but may still be capable of causing infection. Surgical masks are not designed to seal tightly against the user's face. During inhalation, much of the potentially contaminated air can pass through gaps between the face and the surgical mask and not be pulled through the filter material of the mask. Their ability to filter small particles varies significantly based upon the type of material used to make the surgical mask, so they cannot be relied upon to protect workers against airborne infectious agents. Only surgical masks that are cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to be legally marketed in the United States have been tested for their ability to resist blood and body fluids.

Full text at: https://www.osha.gov/Publications/respirators-vs-surgicalmasks-factsheet.html

ellis36 and towboater like this.

3. leadcounsel

leadcounsel Active Member

How a human being in a 1st world nation, particularly with more access to information in their pocket than any human in history had, still doesn't understand the value of any face covering....??

I find that to be fascinating and disappointing at the same time. You literally know less than a human living in the 1700s.

4. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Winds you are way out of your league. Yes, it’s tradition. Yes, it’s common sense, to a point. Yes, it’s regulation. You mixed up negative pressure isolation, that’s a whole different matter. A plain mask, with the exception of close face to face, has never been proven to prevent viral contagion to the person, particularly common cold and the flu. It is loose on the face, there is air flow around the edges, and the longer you wear it, the more there is. If you respect Google so well look up some science on NCBI or Pubmed for Chrissake before you second another blowhard.

5. leadcounsel

Sir, with all due respect you are not only uninformed you are actually putting lives at risk with your mis-information. Please, just stop. Anyone with a brain following this virus (and other virus') knows transmission can occur many ways including on large airborne droplets for airborne virus' and on touch surfaces when then get transmitted to the mouth or nose by touch. A mask mitigates or prevents this type of exposure. It's ignorant people like you that continue to put lives in peril spreading nonsense. The result is infection, overwhelmed hospitals, death, mandatory lock downs, and a crashed economy.

You and others who do NOT have a clue have been spreading nonsense and misinformation since the beginning. It is literally killing people. It's beyond time that people STOP with stupidity.

alsaqr and bluez like this.
  6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

alsaqr and leadcounsel like this.
  7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard putting Betadine on the masks can make a difference.

8. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Best Coronavirus Masks
    As stated by the CDC, N95 respirators, when worn properly, will provide protection against coronaviruses. N99 respirators will do this even better, as the rating signifies the percentage of particles that the respirator blocks. It is worth noting, that the N rating is the WORST case at which a respirator is tested. This means that an N95 respirator is 95% effective in the worst case (CDC).

All N rated masks must reach certain criteria set by NIOSH, and this means that as long as they have been officially tested, they will be effective. Again though, I must mention that these masks are only effective if you wear them properly and follow the correct fitting and disposal procedures.

N95 Rated 3M Respirators

3M 8511 Respirator (Amazon) | Coupang | 3M 8210V Respirator | Coupang

N99/FFP3 Rated Respirators

Powertop FFP3 Respirator | FFP3 Cover Guard | FFP3 Respirator Mask

P100 Rated Respirators

3M P100 Respirator | Honeywell P100 Respirator

Reusable Respirators N95/N99 (Beware of Valves)

Cambridge N99 Reusable Mask | Vogmask N95 Reusable Mask | Respro N99 Reusable Mask

From: https://breathesafeair.com/covid-19-respirator-guide/

Note: All of the links are dead since this article was published on March 5th. They sold out.

We have 2 of these masks (shown with P95 6001 cartridges):

[​IMG]

And P100 cartridges for them:

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BL0S8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And we have some P95 cartridges for additional minor VOC protection with filters that Amazon no longer has in stock (shown in the mask photo). I can't even find the respirators in medium anymore - only small.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    ellis36 likes this.
  9. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, the US leads the world in the number of diagnosed coronavirus cases. 1,000 have died of the virus. The newest epicenter may be Louisiana

Now the farouters are attacking Dr. Fauci, the foremost epidemiologist in the US and advisor to six presidents. More pandering to Bubba.

"Beyond prime-time television, however, the disregard for expert guidance being pushed by some conservative and libertarian voices goes further — aimed not simply at proving Fauci wrong but at painting him as an agent of the “deep state” that Trump has vowed to dismantle. The smear campaign taking root online, and laying the groundwork for Trump to cast aside the experts on his own coronavirus task force, relies centrally on the idea that there is no expertise that rises above partisanship, and that everyone has an agenda".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ase-assails-fauci/ar-BB11LjWL?ocid=spartandhp

jigs-n-fixture likes this.
  10. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I get so tired of the Intelligentsia on forums bad-mouthing Bubba. Go to Bubba's neighborhood and talk to him that way. He'll kick your butt til your nose bleeds, but then he'll help feed your family til you can get back to work.

bluez and Ghost1958 like this.
  11. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

OK, just thinking. I've visited confinement animal operations. One with over 3,000 hogs, another with thousands of turkeys. Each required sloshing boots in disinfectant. So, if viruses spread by "Droplets" which eventually fall to the floor, why are not we concerned about the soles of our shoes ? Floors of all stores must be festering petri dishes teeming with ackempucky we track back to vehicles and homes.

Floors beneath urinals are always sticky and the "wet floor" sign doesn't make me feel safer at all - even if it's in Spanish on the other side. I bought a gallon of concentrated disinfectant used in veterinarian hospitals and animal confinement/trailer/pens to use on our shoes ad boots. One ounce to a gallon of water with hazard warnings galore.

Brother-in-law taken by ambulance to hospital last night. Complication of colostomy reversal operation. His wife, an R.N. with 32 years of experience denied admittance to go in with him. At least he has a bed and excellent doctors. There are other things that happen to folks than the Chinese Flu.

ellis36 and towboater like this.
  12. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

You can buy n95 cloth masks with activated charcoal inserts that can be used or not on Amazon.

towboater likes this.
  13. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Proly called the "flue" as in something to do with a chimney :-/

14. Hookeye

Its Just The Flu dunno what the B stands for.

15. freefall

16. Hookeye

Im cool with acronyms, but am nobodys "bro".

LOL

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. Hookeye

Well, my kid w health concerns, is squirrel'd away for the next couple weeks.
    Another town.
    My town has 7 confirmed. One dead (but that person was super high risk).
    Expect things to really grow.

But its a factory town, has been forever. Heavy drinkers/smokers. Fair bit of obesity.
    COPD, pre and post OSHA damage............lot of blue hairs.

Dunno what the breakdown of positives will be (those that require hospitalization).
    My ol lady is 62, works corrections.........she's proly gonna get it.

Middle and youngest both had something January. Flu and strep tests negative.

Maybe they had it, maybe they didn't. The ol lady had a week plus long headache she couldn't shake and nothing showed up on tests.

Is OK now, outside of being stressed and up my arse about everything.

Yeah, I'ma gonna fetch a beer.
    Work texted, have a possible back to work date. That would mean 4 weeks off, and proly get extended 2 weeks past that.

Who knows.

4 weeks out of work, if I don't do any home projects my elbow might heal and my lungs clear up. Contractor did not show up. If I do the one project I'll have enough saved for alpha glass on my Steyr.

ellis36 and Rifling82 like this.
  18. freefall

Well THAT'S why you didn't understand what the B was for, brah!

19. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

According to a woman I know at CDC this virus lasts on surfaces up to 72 hours depending on the type of surface

We were at the grocery and our checkout girl was wearing gloves.
    My friend told her it was a useless gesture unless she never touched her face. And that she would still spread the virus should she check out a person with it contaminate the next persons groceryd by surface contact. Using a min 66 percent alcohol sanitizer will kill the virus by destroying the fat layer that surrounds it. So will soap

So what cashier do you know that uses sanitizer each time she checks out a customer?

According to her thr CDC expects 1 out of 2 people to get the virus. Most will think they have a bad cold.flu or maybe bronchus. Older folks and folks with underlying conditions may well die..

So. Wearing. A mask and standing 6 feet apart is going to what,?

That said I mask and glove everytime I go into a public place because of the wifes health. But I believe its going to be a simple luck of the draw of simply bring lucky enough to not be exposed to it.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  20. leadcounsel

We are concerned. Very concerned. The wide-spread advice is to remove your shoes outside and not track virus in. Alternately, leave your shoes in a "contagion" mud room in the entry of the home, or disinfect by spraying them off or stepping in a shallow pan of dis-infectant.

sheriffjohn and winds-of-change like this.