I am looking for a .308 bolt action

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by gunny134, Nov 15, 2011.

1. gunny134

gunny134 New Member

I am looking for a bolt action .308 with scope mounts already on it

2. gunny134

gunny134 New Member

Does anyone know any good guns under $1000?

3. vinnytombs

vinnytombs New Member

there are two great gun companies to look at here remington makes a great gun model 700 is what I'd recommend or the 770 which is cheaper but havnt used it or rugers rifles are great they are around 700 and come with scope mounts both are very accurate and good looking guns ruger is probably the best bang for the buck you can get a stainless and laminate stock making it a great looking gun for under a grand post what choice you make

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Hey Gunny, I'd steer away from the 770. Plastic where it should be metal. The Savage is a good choice. If you want to try a few different rifles out, let me know. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Tilton from my house. I'd take a look at the Howa 1500 also.

5. gunny134

gunny134 New Member

I like the savage but why is so cheap? Ive seen other ones like that and they $800.

6. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Dicks sporting goods has some cops deals on some nice .308 rifles I looked at this savage the other day it felt great and was under $500 all it would need is a decent scope to start then maybe later put a nice stock on it after a few hundred rounds.
    image-3977341919.jpg

play the victim, be the victim

7. PatrickHarrison

PatrickHarrison New Member

Absolutley do not get the remington 770 my old man uses one and its a jammer every shot jam the bolt dont open i had to open bolt handle up then get a cleanin rod to shove the brass out i dont think youd want that on follow up shots. I use either military rifles or savage arms, military rifles can be easily obtained for a good price and sporterized ie the mosin nagant m91/30 or 1903A3. Or savage rifles "definition of accuracy" and its true my 243 model 110 is a killer for the excelent price ive killed 3 bucks 2 does a javelina a turtle n mulie master knows the other thing. Im hard to please and ive picked up a remington 700 and wth is up with there bolts there sloppy crap. But hey im different but the price for savage may be cheap or exspensive but there all good look at pawn shops theres always one ive bought three savages from a specific pawn shop for less than $300

8. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Damn buddy did ya get him lmao, an no im not gonna mount it for you

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Check out the Savage website. There are a lot of models and you should find one you like. The Axis is their entry rifle without the accu trigger. Prices at the dealers should be below msrp. The 11FCNS and the 11GCNS are short action for the 308 with detachable mags and accu trigger. The 11F is composite and the 11G is wood. Scope bases and rings could be installed by the dealer if it is a dedicated gun shop. They are readily available and vary in price. Go with steel rather than aluminum. A little more money but worth it in the long run. Plan on spending at least $400 or more for a scope. I have gone the cheap route and never been happy. You end up buying several scopes instead of one good one.
    Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  10. vinnytombs

vinnytombs New Member

to the guy who hates Remington just so you know if you like military rifles the model 700 is the military's m27 bolts are smooth an I have never heard of a bolt action jamming I think it's impossible actually the extractor may be damaged from some one slamming the bolt closed and as far as savage you get what you pay for I'd research them

11. vinnytombs

vinnytombs New Member

buy a ruger before a savage savage is a nice gun with nice features but if your into quality spend the money however if your not shooting more than 400 yards buy whatever you think looks nice they all shoot

12. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I have a rem 700 .308 and the bolt was ruff feeling at first but a little metal polish and some time working the bolt and it's great it has a little play when moving the bolt to extract the shell but when closed its tight. For the $ I have in the gun I can't complain about it, it's worth double what I have in it I think. Great trigger out of the box i though too I read good and bad thing about the X mark triggers but I like mine just fine. It's crisp and always in the same spot. Great buy I think.

play the victim, be the victim

13. hosehead634

hosehead634 New Member

I have a Remington 700 AAC-SD. Great action and trigger. Threaded barrel and good twist rate. With the money you save over the 700P you can buy a better stock and solid one piece scope rail. Can't go wrong.

14. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

If I were buying a new rifle in that price range I'd get a Tikka T3.

Other than that I would recommend a Winchester model 70. It is by far the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. In it's price range I just don't see anything topping it.

15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I will agree the model 70 the riflemans rifle, nothin like the legend. I have many different makes an models, but my win model 70 s are what feels right to me. Altho If I could afford more of the christensen arms rifles I would have a room full

16. PatrickHarrison

PatrickHarrison New Member

You know i should say military surplus rifles, like my mint condition mosin nagant m91/30 7.62X54R i take out more than any weapon in my arsenal and i trust and know its ment to get dirty of course every chance im outside its that gun or my savage .243 winchester mdl110 i perfer those two more than a slouch of a rifle like the remington 700 or worse the infamous remington 770 that was new outa the box that decided to place hell and piss me off ive never cared for Remington, ill always use Savage arms and military surplus rifles, but dont let me discourage anybody thats my opinion carry on as for the fellar lookin for a new rifle GOOD LUCK THE CHOICES ARE ENDLESS!!! Good hunting and God bless you all

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you look at the Tikka T3 (excellent rifle) also look at the CZ 550 American in 308. Walnut stock, set trigger, Machined in scope rail and rings come with it.
    JP it come in 6.5x55 also.:D