Hypothetical Purchase Scenario

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JW357, Jan 26, 2014.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

Ladies and gents,

Hypothetocally if you were in the market for a rifle in .223 primarily for coyotes, what would you buy and why?

Here's the parameters:

- Not an AR
    - Semi-auto or bolt action
    - If bolt, lefty friendly
    - Wood furniture preferred
    - Preferably $1k or less

Sent from my LG-L38C using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Why not an AR? With the addition of an ambi safety they are very lefty friendly.

I would look for something with a faster than 1/12 twist barrel to increase the versitility.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Mossberg MVP Predator.

Bolt action, nice furniture, 5.56, takes a scope,

takes AR mags, carbine sized.

Priced @ 585$, so there's room in the budget to add a scope.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Its a possibility but I don't want the answers flooded with "get an AR, get an AR." I want less obvious choices.

Plus I'm hesitant to buy an AR right now because in a couple months a buddy will be living in Maryland where he can't have an AR, so he's going to keep his at our house in NC on a temporary basis.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Just looked it up. I like it. We'll see how the wife feels (this would primarily be her gun).

I'm diggin that it uses AR mags.

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

An AK chambered in .223. Cheaper then an AR. Russian optics are cheap too, but good quality.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I would love that monster... We both want an AK... I figured they'd be expensive?

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Sorry, I can get a good rifle and scope over here for around a 1000. I thought they were cheaper in the US, :confused:

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

The Polish Beryl Archer. New ones are North of $800 tho....

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm looking on armslist right now. You appear to be correct. If only my LGS had one... I'd rather buy locally.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

556/223 is an ar15 thing. No realistic getting around it. If your going something other than ar15 pick a better round especially in a bolt gun. Why gimp yourself

12. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Get a 243 or a 22-250 or a 204.
    223 is a good caliber but there are better ones out there for hunting coyotes.

13. GunsGodAndCountry

GunsGodAndCountry New Member

We also are concerned about availability and cost of ammo. Though there is a rifle we're considering in 22-250.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Check Savage. They should have multiple guns within your criteria.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the MVP 20" and it is accurate. The bolt is not real smooth as it is modified to use the AR mags. Trigger is good. It is chambered for the 5.56x45 and has a 1:9 twist. I wanted a walking gun so I stayed away from the heavy varmint model.

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend an AK type. Triggers aren't as nice, and I prefer the extra precision if I could only get a yote into the 300 yd range.

Savage and the Mossberg MPV would be fine as bolt guns. I built up an AR specifically for Coyotes. 16" floated barrel, to keep weight down, for moving from calling location to location. Nikon 3-9 scope. RRA trigger.

17. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Talk with your LGS and see if they can locate a deal for you. Their involvement might help you a bit with the price...maybe?

18. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

if you reload, you can make the .223 a very versatile round. and for very cheap too.

Savage has a bunch of good options for what you're asking, model 10, 12, 110, Axis....all available in left hand.

I really loved my Axis in .223, shot better than it should for the price. 1 inch groups at 100 yards weren't a problem. they have a 5+1 capacity & they're popular enough now that there's some nice aftermarket stuff for them, boyd's makes a laminate stock for them now and adjustable triggers are available.

they sell for around $300 new here which leaves plenty of budget for accessories

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

And on top of that,..many of the makers that will ship directly to Your LGS will knock some off the Price because they know the Dealer needs to make some $ as well...so you will still see it at a lesser then MSRP...

20. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

So your wanting a LH bolt action for coyotes?

Other than my RRA Varminter AR15,my Savage 12 FLVSS is what I love to use.

[​IMG]

And it doesn't shoot to shabby either!

[​IMG]

Savage offers several different models in LH. The only negative I have with most Savages are the factory composite stocks. I change everyone I buy.
    Tikka also makes some really nice LH models,but Beretta,USA will only import the T3 Lite model in the LH versions to the U.S.
    Remington sells a couple LH heavy barreled models,but the SPS line is like the Savage,and the factory stocks suck,and need to be swapped out for optimum accuracy.