Hypothetical Home Invasion/Burglary

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Mapnapkin, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Mapnapkin

Mapnapkin New Member

Since you can't really train for different situations, I have a situation and was wondering everyone's thoughts. If there are any Police Officers here that would be a big bonus.

So, lets say I am woken up by some noises, grab my shotgun and go into my front room and find two guys holding my big ol' LCD TV.
    With the mounted flash light turned on them, I rack a shell and say, with my meanest sounding voice, "Put the TV down and get on your stomach" as my wife/girlfriend calls 911.

I have a pair of handcuffs and cuff one guys right arm to the other guys right ankle and wait for the police to arrive.
    That is, if everything goes right...

Now, what are your thoughts of this?
    I don't want to shoot them especially if they are holding my big ass TV.
    Am I stupid for thinking this way.
    What would you do differently?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

SHOTGUN!! :eek: Big mess, ruined LCD, ringing ears, too much explaining how they were threatening you with the big screen.

Assuming all goes well and you hold them for the police it sounds good, but as you know; things never go the way you think. Taking on two perps alone and trying to keep them both under control while you manipulate a pair of cuffs makes my hair stand up.

Hold them at gunpoint, have the wife/girlfriend state they are being held at gunpoint. Good luck, because at this point they may figure you aren't going to shoot if they get up and run!!

It's never easy when it's you against two!! Have them both lie on their faces and put the shotty to the back of ones head and have him cuff the others wrist to his ankle!!

That might work!!

3. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

DO NOT try to 'cuff them.

Unless you are trained in the proper way of effectively/quickly 'cuffing someone, don't try to do it.

There are 2 of them and 1 of you. You will have to put the shotgun down in order to do it. Don't give them a opening.

Get them both on the ground, take a position of dominance, and tell them not to move. Once the LEOs get there, they will take care of the 'cuffing.

4. Mapnapkin

Mapnapkin New Member

Good advice, thanks for playing along.
    "threatening you with the big screen" :) thats good.

The handcuffing part would be the tricky step.
    I have not been trained for handcuffing but I do own a pair. I thought that would be the best way to secure them for everyone's safety.. theirs and mine.
    However, if it was necessary, shotgun in the back of the head and have the guy handcuff himself seems to be the best solution.

I also thought my girlfriend could do it but I wouldn't want her that close the the bad guys.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Stand back a safe distance and keep them covered until the cavalry arrives. There's way too many variables that come into play with anything else. Simple is always better. ;)

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Do not involve another party who would be within the grasp of the perps unless they (the perps) are under the muzzle of a gun....that takes three of you, two with weapons and control over the perpetrators!!

7. Mapnapkin

Mapnapkin New Member

I Agree.

ok.. So keep the lights off with them under a flash. That way they can't see around them to well.. or turn the lights on

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Dark is good...better be sure there are only two!!!

9. Mapnapkin

Mapnapkin New Member

ah, didn't think of that.
    thanks

10. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

I'm with SGT-Miller on this one... DO NOT attempt to cuff 'em.

Even with training, I wouldn't attempt to cuff anybody unless I had someone covering them at gunpoint.

The only reason I could see having cuffs if you're not in the profession is for use in the bedroom... <evil grin>

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I don't think any self respecting perp would allow you to cuff them with a pair of these!!

handcuffs_pink.jpg

12. Mapnapkin

Mapnapkin New Member

Those are awesome.. I can see it now.. "Put 'em ON!", perp says "ah.. Im not putt'n those on". "PUT THEM ON".. then wait for the police to see them.

Don't rob my house.. I'll embarrass the sh!t out of you.
    Video you and post it on youtube.

13. Mapnapkin

Mapnapkin New Member

On a serious note, thank you everyone for the advice/comments.
    I can't fight, don't know how to fight.. never been in a fight and would probably lose a fight so it seems best to keep a safe distance.

Its good to mentally prepare for the worst and hope for the best I guess.
    Maybe I'll think of some different situations later.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

15. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Great idea. :rolleyes:

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'm going with Tango on this one. If you're in my house, uninvited, in the middle of the night - I'm going to engage. I have no idea if you're armed or what your true intentions are - I do know that you broke into my house and that's all the knowledge I need.

Most of the recent home invasions in my neck of the woods have been multiple BGs and at least one is generally armed...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

If they drop the tv and run, better let them run. Atleast here in Arkansas shooting an intruder who has not threatened you somehow will get you thrown in jail for a long time. If they run AT you, shoot them in the back of the face.

18. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

19. OC357

OC357 New Member

I am prepared. I got a brown paper bag full of .357 "flash bangs" around here somewheres.....if I could just find em........:D

OC

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

goju Why are you letting perps run off? Shot first answer questions later.

If the perp is dead all you have to do is say he threatened to kill you. That coupled with the fact that he is in my house uninvited in the middle of the night I highly doubt anyone will look into too much.