Hypothetical AR transfer from NY to FL

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by K305, Jun 25, 2013.

  1. K305

    K305 New Member

    I live in FL and I have a friend who lives in NY that may still have a NIB Smith & Wesson M&P15. I have heard AR are outlawed in NY can anyone shed some light on what exactly that means. Are ATF agents seizing civilians semiautos that don't register them, does it only refer to class 3's, are there "grandfathering exceptions? If my friend does still possess their AR legally would there be a legal way to ship FFL to FFL out of state to FL? Any insight?
  2. JonM

    JonM Moderator

    you dont need a ffl to ship to an ffl. just box it up and ship it out to the ffl by common carrier not the post office. enclose a copy of the current owner's driver's license and contact the recieving ffl so they know it is coming and who it is going to.

    it does need to be in a hard case inside the box

  3. c3shooter

    c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

    What he said right up there. DO be sure that the receiving FFL is willing to receive a firearm for transfer for a non-FFL- perfectly legal, some won't. If you do not know how to find one, give me the zip code of the recipient, and I can show you.

    And no, the ATF is not running around enforcing STATE law. They are Feds. And you need to read the NY STATE law on this. That will govern whether there is a grandfathering of anything (except grandmas)
  4. pawjr74

    pawjr74 New Member

    He might want to send the lower receiver through the FFL and ship the upper directly to you.
  5. K305

    K305 New Member

    Cool, thanks now I just gotta hope they didn't offload it already for fear of becoming a criminal.