Hyperstatic shock ammunition

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by tderrick, Jul 20, 2012.

1. tderrick

tderrick New Member

3700-beyond fps makes for a bullet that can create hyper static shock. Is a .257 weatherby a good caliber for deer, hogs, and black buck antelope.

2. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

That is incorrect.

Wikipedia: Hydrostatic shock; Physics of ballistic pressure waves

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Great link. I think this would be the main part of interest and I'm happy to say my 10mm is well in the range even at 50 yards.
    Even though Wang et al. document remote neural damage for low levels of energy transfer, roughly 100 ft·lbf (140 J), these levels of neural damage are probably too small to contribute to rapid incapacitation. Courtney and Courtney believe that remote neural effects only begin to make significant contributions to rapid incapacitation for ballistic pressure wave levels above 500 psi (3,400 kPa) (corresponds to transferring roughly 300 ft·lbf (410 J) in 12 inches (30 cm) of penetration) and become easily observable above 1,000 psi (6,900 kPa) (corresponds to transferring roughly 600 ft·lbf (810 J) in 12 inches (0.30 m) of penetration). [41] Incapacitating effects in this range of energy transfer are consistent with observations of remote spinal injuries, [26] observations of suppressed EEGs and apnea in pigs [37][45] and with observations of incapacitating effects of ballistic pressure waves without a wound channel.

4. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Yeah, I probably didn't quote the best line, but their is a lot of information on hydrostatic shock pertaining to handguns in that link.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah great link. Glad you found it.

6. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Not scientific but may be of interest...

Yesterday before I read this post I shot a gallon jug with my 45acp; I wasn't impressed. The two different cartridges I shot, 230gr FMJ at 860fps and 185gr HP-XTP at 930fps, produced similar results.

Today I tried it with my 357mag and found the 125gr HP-XTP traveling at 1400fps did extremely well, and the 180gr HP-XTP traveling at 1050fps produced acceptable results.

Here is the 45 with a hollow point.
    [​IMG]

Here is the 180gr hollow point 357mag.
    [​IMG]

Here is the 125gr 357mag.
    [​IMG]
    Another pic as the splash grew.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice pics, kid.

8. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Thank you!

9. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

I've shot a gallon jug with my 45 acp and it produced a bigger splash than that. Must just be different shot placement on the jug.

10. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I would venture to guess that your projectiles were traveling faster. These loads I am using are slow; I didn't find an accuracy node faster than those speeds. I'm sure factory loads are much faster.

The shot we see impacted 2 inches above center, a bit right; that was the largest splash of two hits with a hollow point. The other hit was center height wise and a bit right; which popped the cap off.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKaXbVRbgVQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKaXbVRbgVQ[/ame]

11. 1hole

1hole New Member

There is no "hyperstatic" in my dictionary. There is

1. hyper- pref. 1. Over; above; beyond. 2. Excessive; excessively.

2. stat·ic (st²t“¹k) adj. 1.a. Having no motion; being at rest; quiescent. b. Fixed; stationary. 2. Physics. Of or relating to bodies at rest or forces that balance each other.

3. hy·dro·stat·ics (hº”dr…-st²t“¹ks) n. (used with a sing. verb). Abbr. hyd. The branch of physics that deals with fluids at rest and under pressure.

So there is no 'hyperstatic pressure" and hyrostatic effect is primarily what liquids under pressure do in a fixed -static- state. Meaning I haven't a clue what the question is about as it applies to bullets at 3,700 fps when they hit game. ??

12. Model70

Model70 Member

I think your meaning "hydrostatic shock."

It's the tissue damage caused by a high velocity object (bullet) passing through a liquid (animal flesh.) There are some cool videos that demonstrate it on Barnes Bullets website.

As far as I know it's killing power is more theory than fact, although Roy Weatherby demonstrated it pretty effectively.

But to answer the question, a .257 Weatherby is plenty of gun. Roy Weatherby even killed Cape Buffalo with one, but I wouldn't recommend that. Deer and hogs? I think you'll be impressed.

13. 1hole

1hole New Member

"Hydrostatic" is the term Roy W. used and it's kinda gotten in the langage so deeply we're stuck with it but the correct term would be hydraulic shock. Hydro-static means a liquid under a non-changing (static) pressure and that sure isn't what happens when a bullet hits flesh. The impact pressure changes much faster than living cells can withstand so tissue cell walls in the immediate area shatters into a sort of mush. High velocity and the resulting sudden tissue destruction may result in such a massive nervous system shock that it can kill all out of proportion to what we might expect. But it can also create huge surface crater wounds that are NOT quick kills so high speed bullets should be chosen for the ability to hold together for deep penatration.