Hyped on P238 and P938...then not-so-much

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by Sonic82, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I've been thinking about a CC pistol and for a number of reasons, I'm limited on my choices. These two SIGS were in the back of my mind and JTJ kind of had me focus a little more on them. I began reading about them and watched some videos and discovered this two pistols have had alot of problems. FTE mainly, but other things as well. I'm really down about this as I was actually getting hyped up on the idea of having one. Anyone have experience with them?

2. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I have both, with hundreds of rounds through them. 0 problems with the 238 and only 1 failure to load from the 938. That one failure happened in the first 30 rounds, so I right that off to not broken in yet. I bet that many more people have no problems with theirs, than do . It's just seems the ones that have problems seem to be loader and want to tell the world. JMO.

3. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

How old are they truevil? Early or are they recent versions?

4. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

They are both recent versions.

5. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

On my first range trip with my 938 I ran 100 rds of cheepo dirty tulammo through it with no problems. Then on my next mag with cheepo monarch jhp I had a failure to feed on the second or third round. Im putting that failure on the dirty ammo and it not being broken in yet. Havnt had a problem in the 700ish rounds since then.

6. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

My 938, an early release model had a FTE rate ~20%. I sent it back to Sig for warranty repair and had it back two weeks later. Problem solved!

Not the ideal situation, but the same things happen with first model year cars.

7. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

My 938 had 1 FTE on the 9th or so round. I'm not so sure I didn't limp wrist it. It has run through the next 150 rounds without a single hitch. I shoot 124gr 9mm NATO Winchester rounds. Lots of people that say they have issues are 1) limp wristing 2) firing absolute crap ammo There were some concerns with the early models, but those seem to have been worked out.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have not had any failures with my 238. Several different HP's and FMJ's. I didn't keep track but several hundred rounds.

9. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Also no problem with either the P238 or P938, both recent models.
    Wife's P238 is good also.

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I like my 938. Not to many rounds thru it yet, but it shoots real nice. It does do this weird thing when you unload it with out firing any rounds. It does not drop the mag, because the 2nd round down gets partially stripped out of the mag, and it hangs it up, so when you pull the mag, the partially stripped round comes out of the mag, and tumbles out the mag well. Not the end of the world......

11. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Since I bought my p938 (when they first came out) I've put over 350 rounds through it. The only FTE happened when a friend was shooting it. It's had zero malfunctions in my hands.

12. kyplow

kyplow New Member

You guys talk about early model and recent model P938's. I'm looking to buy one, how can I tell if it's early or recent?

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

If you buy a new one, I'm guessing it's recent. I think you'd have to buy a used one to get an earlier one.

I have a P238. The first time I took it out I had a few FTF's. It seems like it was on the last round of the mag. I possibly might have been limp wristing it. It's done pretty well for me since. I really like my P238.

14. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Thanks for the info everyone...I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I have some guns to sell first :)

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, just buy a new one. From what I understand, they released a FEW early last year, and then they dried up till very late in the year. I waited 8 months for mine. Good luck finding one now......