Firearms Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first one today. Looks like an oven thermometer. "Lockdown" brand for $9.99. Never used one before in any of my gun safes. At the price, considering buying one for each safe. Curious as to whether others use these things to judge humidity. Seems awfully cheap.

·
Administrator
26,319 Posts
Have one with a barometer and thermometer, and one in the humidor for cegars. Yes, they work, but they are not "real time" instruments- there is a lag of minutes when changing.

In the Batcave I have a number of.... storage containers. And a portable dehumidifier. Set on a timer to run 2 hours a day, sealed room, does a good job. Found the dehumidifier on Craigs list for $30. Tank holds 3 gallons of water.

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use them, they work. Not much you can do though unless the safe is airtight.
So, what's an acceptable humidity level for firearms storage ? I'm pretty good at using Remoil and gun grease on most things but some don't get out much and, of course, don't get inspected very often. Thanks for the reply, btw.

·
Registered
174 Posts
From what I’ve found, as long as firearms are cleaned and put away inside a well insulated indoor environment (not the garage) rust shouldn’t be a problem.

Just my 2€

·
Premium Member
12,591 Posts
From what I’ve found, as long as firearms are cleaned and put away inside a well insulated indoor environment (not the garage) rust shouldn’t be a problem.

Just my 2€
I keep my house a constant 71 degrees and about 55% humidity year round and will still get some fine powdering of rust that needs wiped down about once a year.

Reactions: sheriffjohn

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now I have three safes and three "gunlockers" scattered about. Rechargeable dessicant goes about a week before it's full in the 50 gun locker. Considering a golden rod or similar but concerned about those perhaps actually causing condensation as that one's in the garage where temps vary widely. Others are on two floors (attic and closets). From what I understand the golden rod types simply provide a bit of heat and don't draw moisture out (I may be totally wrong). Gonna put the hygrometer in the big one today to try it out.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
So, what's an acceptable humidity level for firearms storage ? I'm pretty good at using Remoil and gun grease on most things but some don't get out much and, of course, don't get inspected very often. Thanks for the reply, btw.
I’ve seen 50% stated as acceptable. Is that science or “playing by ear”, is hard to tell. In my safe it can drop below 30 in the winter and go above 70 in the summer. All my modern guns are okay with regular shooting and maintenance.

·
Supporting Member
12,183 Posts
Sheriff
"Humidity Rod"
Here is the one I have in one of my Safes! But it was around $33.00.
But works great! It plugs into the wall outlet behind the Safe.
humidity rod.jpg

In the other Safe I have two Desiccant Canisters that when the Center of the Cap turns Pink. They can be recharged in the Oven for 3 hours at 240 degrees then the Center of the Cap turns Blue. $15.99 each on Amazon.
Desicant for the Safe.png

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, after a few days the Hygrometer reads "55" so that's not too bad if it's accurate. Overdue checking/oiling stuff anyway. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts