Hydrostatic Shock... The Real Reason For Practice

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by SlightlyAddicted0311, Mar 7, 2012.

1. SlightlyAddicted0311

SlightlyAddicted0311 New Member

This was taught to us in the Marine Corps infantry... i just couldn't put a finger on what exactly it was called when i was trying to think of it. Basically the thoery was explained as putting two rounds into a target with sufficient speed and accuracy to disrupt the vital organs and essentially shut down someones nervous system causing their body to go into shock. This doesn't mean put two bullets 1/4 of an inch apart... this means putting two rounds atleast into someones torso at almost the same time ( double tap ). So all of you who are feeling rough about your shot groups at the range, keep at it... and actually practice double taps... because there's a reason behind them.

http://www.scopedin.com/articles/editorials/the-fascinating-topic-of-hydrostatic-shock/

2. northhike

northhike New Member

These things always come back to the fundamentals don't they? Right tool for the job and accurate shot placement. An interesting article....thanks for sharing.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Two wounds bleed twice as much. Loss of blood incapacitates. Two wounds at the exact same time (buckshot) tend to shut the system down almost w/o regard to placement. This cannot be replicated by one shooter with a single projectile weapon.

4. SlightlyAddicted0311

SlightlyAddicted0311 New Member

Have a nice time out

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
  5. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I'm confused?

Why couldn't this be replicated?

6. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

That article doesn't support that notion.

One part of the article suggests a "shut down someones nervous system" from shock to the spinal cord...
    ...but doesn't promote faith in the idea.

The article's point is to cause extreme damage to blood vessels.
    The bottom line says it all.
    The proper equipment, knowing where to hit the animal, and the ability to hit that spot, is what counts... and he doesn't mention "double taps."

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Because you can't shoot two bullets out of a handgun at the exact same time. Buckshot is more than one projectile hitting the BG at the exact same time as more than one projectile is exiting the gun at once. I would imagine at best, if the BG isn't moving and lets you just shoot at him, you can get two rounds into him within a second or so from a handgun.

What does that mean? I see nothing there to warrant a 'time out'. :confused:

8. robocop10mm

A "double tap" only doubles your chances of hiting a vital organ.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  9. robocop10mm

That is because the offensive content was deleted and replaced by my quote.

10. GY6

GY6 New Member

Practice makes perfect

I think people spend to much time trying to shoot head shots or perfect 1/4 in spreads, and not enough reactive shooting practice! People need practice at what they want to be good at.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Darn it! I miss all the fun!

12. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I'm simply pointing out that none of what the OP has suggested, is in the article.

13. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I have some 38spl rounds with multiple projectiles lol

But that's besides the point

That's what I was wondering if it was the time lapsed between shots that would make it unable to be replicated.

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

...or doubles your chances of missing completely?

This is in no way a comment on ROBO's proficiency but...

I see lots of guys at my gun club working on the double tap. Only ever seen 1 that compelled me to ask hey, how'd you do THAT?

Most seemed to be all overr the place, even at 7'.

Most who've shot with me would say I'm "pretty good" and 1 round per second is about as fast as I can shoot and KNOW that ALL my rounds are impacting my target.

I'm not downplaying the effect of rapidly putting rounds into a threat but I wish more shooters would focus on accuracy first and allow speed to follow. Especially us non LEO CCW folks. Situation will always dictate but we don't get to choose where and when we may need our gun.

All that we can control is WHERE our rounds go, and every one of them WILL have a lawyer attached to it.

Here is to shooting straight and hoping we never need to do it for real.

Tack

15. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Hydrostatic Shock Explained...

Hydrostatic shock or hydraulic shock describes the observation that a penetrating projectile can produce remote wounding and incapacitating effects in living targets through a hydraulic effect in their liquid-filled tissues, in addition to local effects in tissue caused by direct impact. There is scientific evidence that hydrostatic shock can produce remote neural damage and produce incapacitation more quickly than blood loss effects. Proponents of cartridges that are "light and fast" such as the 9x19mm Parabellum versus cartridges that are "slow and heavy" such as the .45 ACP round often refer to this phenomenon.

Human autopsy results have demonstrated brain hemorrhaging from fatal hits to the chest, including cases with handgun bullets. Thirty-three cases of fatal penetrating chest wounds by a single bullet were selected from a much larger set by excluding all other traumatic factors, including past history.

In such meticulously selected cases brain tissue was examined histologically; samples were taken from brain hemispheres, basal ganglia, the pons, the oblongate and from the cerebellum. Cufflike pattern haemorrhages around small brain vessels were found in all specimens. These haemorrhages are caused by sudden changes of the intravascular blood pressure as a result of a compression of intrathoracic great vessels by a shock wave caused by a penetrating bullet.

It has often been asserted that hydrostatic shock and other descriptions of remote wounding effects are nothing but myths. A recent article in the journal, Neurosurgery, reviews the published evidence and concludes that the phenomenon is well-established.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

First off, I saw a video of a guy shooting a SA revolver that could draw & shoot two balloons, several feet apart, so fast that it sounded like he only fired one shot.

Secondly, from what I've read from different sources, including from medical professionals, the only sure way to immediately stop a threat is by a paralizing shot to the spine. Even a catastrophic hit to heart/lungs leaves the brain with about 15 seconds of oxygen & enough time for them to still kill you even though they are technically dead.

Of course some will just quit with the first hit, whether it is a disabling one or not.

17. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

A shot to the head from a .50 BMG ... Pretty much an immediate stop. But then any headshot should suffice;) Wife always wants to know that in movies why they never shoot the BG's in the head but always seem to shoot at the torso even when they're wearing body armor... I just tell her it's the movies and just roll with it:D

Gotta say though, it sure would be nice to have some of those movie guns that never seem to run out of ammo ... LOL

18. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Yeah, ya ever wonder why the shots that go all the way through & splatter blood on a glass or mirror behind them, but the bullet doesn't break the glass or mirror?:confused:

19. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

LOL... That's Hollywood for ya ..

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Depends on how doped up they are and what they are on at the time also . I think this is where a larger caliber has benefits sometimes, Knockdown K/E and letting the air out helps keep them from getting back up quickly