Hy Hunter

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jackrich3, Jan 12, 2013.

1. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

I'm looking to have a .357 Hy Hunter Six Shooter refinished/reblued for a reasonable price. It's a terrific six shooter that I would like to keep a long, long time but the finish is wearing thin. any suggestions or referrals?

2. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I'd look around my home turf if I were you. You should have a gunsmith locally who can do decent blue jobs. Sending it out of town is going to add about $70 or so to the price to cover shipping.

While I'm here, here's a photo of one I've been working on:

[​IMG]

The brass trigger guard is Uberti, the grips are home made.

Bob Wright

3. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

Are alot of SAA grip frame screw patterns a universal fit? Colt to Uberti to Ruger to Cimarron to.........?

4. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

From what I know, Uberti fits Colts and the Hy Hunter. (Cimarron is Uberti) In the case of my Hy Hunter, the trigger guard was Uberti, the backstrap for a Hy Hunter.

Since the trigger guard was Uberti, I had to fit a Uberti mainspring screw, since I couldn't use the Hy Hunter screw. All the screws into the frame were Hy Hunter. And for the most part, Hy Hunter and Hawes parts are interchangeable.

I had to chase the threads for the mainspring screw, and was surprised to find they were 10-24 UNC.

I had the Uberti trigger guard in my parts box, and I tried it with the original backstrap first, before ordering the brass backstrap. Not too, that the screw at the butt has to be a Uberti part:

[​IMG]

The parts were not a perfect match, had to do a little filing.
    Before:

[​IMG]

And, after a little fitting:

[​IMG]

Bob Wright

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  5. atilla46

atilla46 New Member

does anyone have a manual for the Hy Hunter frontier model SLLR 22lr pistol? Have lost mine in move . Thanks