Firearms Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to have a .357 Hy Hunter Six Shooter refinished/reblued for a reasonable price. It's a terrific six shooter that I would like to keep a long, long time but the finish is wearing thin. any suggestions or referrals?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm looking to have a .357 Hy Hunter Six Shooter refinished/reblued for a reasonable price. It's a terrific six shooter that I would like to keep a long, long time but the finish is wearing thin. any suggestions or referrals?
I'd look around my home turf if I were you. You should have a gunsmith locally who can do decent blue jobs. Sending it out of town is going to add about $70 or so to the price to cover shipping.

While I'm here, here's a photo of one I've been working on:

The brass trigger guard is Uberti, the grips are home made.

Bob Wright

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd look around my home turf if I were you. You should have a gunsmith locally who can do decent blue jobs. Sending it out of town is going to add about $70 or so to the price to cover shipping.

While I'm here, here's a photo of one I've been working on:

The brass trigger guard is Uberti, the grips are home made.

Bob Wright
Are alot of SAA grip frame screw patterns a universal fit? Colt to Uberti to Ruger to Cimarron to.........?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Are alot of SAA grip frame screw patterns a universal fit? Colt to Uberti to Ruger to Cimarron to.........?
From what I know, Uberti fits Colts and the Hy Hunter. (Cimarron is Uberti) In the case of my Hy Hunter, the trigger guard was Uberti, the backstrap for a Hy Hunter.

Since the trigger guard was Uberti, I had to fit a Uberti mainspring screw, since I couldn't use the Hy Hunter screw. All the screws into the frame were Hy Hunter. And for the most part, Hy Hunter and Hawes parts are interchangeable.

I had to chase the threads for the mainspring screw, and was surprised to find they were 10-24 UNC.

I had the Uberti trigger guard in my parts box, and I tried it with the original backstrap first, before ordering the brass backstrap. Not too, that the screw at the butt has to be a Uberti part:

The parts were not a perfect match, had to do a little filing.
Before:

And, after a little fitting:

Bob Wright

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.