Hws battery failure

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by leam23, May 23, 2013.

1. leam23

leam23 New Member

This has probably been coverd a number of times and I apologize. I have had my rra for 2 years. I love the features of eotech xps 2. I also love the feature of the Burris ar 332 because of the default " to black reticle" during battery failure. However I hate the "busyness" of the ar 332 reticle. Anyone know of any optics that have the best of both worlds? I want a simple reticle with illumination capability for the reticle but also a default reticle "black" when the bAtteries have crapped the bed. Around 500$. Thanks guys

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

used acog. no batteries needed. getting the tritium recharged isnt that pricey and trijicon sends em back in a like new condition.

but buying a acog off ebay or gunbroker is very much buyer beware. lots of fakes.

3. PathfinderAFW

PathfinderAFW New Member

I believe leupold makes a prism sight. Pricy though. The reticle is much less busy than the burris. Still has the illumination option with black etched reticle.

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Vortex viper PST 1-4x.

5. leam23

leam23 New Member

Thanks for the input guys. While I appreciate everything I think I should have bees more specific in stating I also love the compact design of the eotech

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Just get an aimpoint. 4+ years battery life. Change it every 3 years. Leave it on all the time. I have one on for over 2 years right now. Gonna change it at the end of the year. Legendary durability.

You want compact, get the micro h1 or t1. 4 or 2 moa dot.

Can't beat that.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

And as much as people like a lower 1/3 co-witness, if you did an absolute co-witness with one of the micro Aimpoints, it would work in a real emergency as a ghost ring to get your rounds close if the battery failed.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

True but, if you had backup sights, couldn't, wouldn't you just use them? :confused:

I do see your point tho doc, with absolute cowitness, you could use the aimpoint as one big@ss peephole rear sight aperature. Maybe even preferable to using a standard rear sight if you have a super shorty pistol setup. :rolleyes:

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yes, the BUIS would be preferred. I saw a guy at a three gun match have his battery fail in a relay. It saved him a few seconds to not have to stop and flip up his rear sight. In that case it was about seconds and points. It would likely never be an issue, but IF the worst case happened at the worst time it might be important.

The irons sight would definitely give more precision. The method worked well enough inside 25 yds though.