Husqvarna Model 648 8x57

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cottontop, Oct 4, 2012.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

DSCN0005.jpg

I just got this Huaqvarna 648 in 8x78 Mauser. It is a neat old rifle with a perfect bore. I can't believe how light it is; probably because it is made on the Swedish Model 96 action. The action is not military, but made for the commercial market. Notice there is no thumb cut out on the left side of the receiver. The scope is an old Weaver 2.5 to 7 variable. The perfect companion for this rifle. I am taking it to the range tomorrow.
    cottontop

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Your bolt is missing some parts!! The safety!!! Great rifles!! Just don't hot rod ammo.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

3. cottontop

cottontop Guest

jpattersonnh,
    Please take a close look. An inch or so behind the bolt handle is a sliding thumb safety. It works great. I'll post a range report tomorrow.
    cottontop

4. jpattersonnh

You've just started down a slippery slope, Swedes!! They are more addicting then any rifle I've ever owned. The Commercial ones are even nicer then the military ones. I'm also going out shooting tomorrow, w/ Swede's.

5. jpattersonnh

Ahhh, Now I see! There is a rubberised plug that fits the hole in the shroud!

6. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I took the Husqvarna 8x57 to the range today. Everything I shot through it was pretty accurate. The groups were about 1" or slightly larger. That's pretty good for me with an older light rifle. Remington factory 170 grain loads shot well. My reloads w/ 170 and 200 grain bullets shot well and accurate, but middle of the road, between minimum and maximum (at least according to the manuals) were flatening out primers pretty badly and causing the bolt to get a little sticky. I will have to stick to starting loads w/ this gun, but that's ok. I will give up velocity for accuracy any day. Those starting loads were the most accurate for this rifle. I have a M98 that will handle the higher velocity stuff, though I don't think higher velocity is really needed anyway. This old Husky is a fun rifle to shoot.
    cottontop

7. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Cool gun. Do you know when it was manufactured?

8. longunner

longunner New Member

Husqvarna AKA the makers of lawn mowers and chain saws????

9. jpattersonnh

Husqvarna started as a Military arsenal in 1689. Carl Gustav was the other arsenal. In the early 1960's CG purchased Husqvarna and then sold it all to Berretta. These are all CG or Husqvarna rifles.

1955 640 large ring FN action Husqvarna '98, 8x57, restocked w/ Boyd laminate.
    [​IMG]

1942 Husqvarna M38 sported, 6.5x55
    [​IMG]

1962 Small ring '98 Model 1600, 6.5x55
    [​IMG]

1943 M46b 9.3x57
    [​IMG]

1907 CG M96, 6.5x55
    [​IMG]

10. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I believe my rifle was made in the mid 1940's but I am not 100% sure.
    cottontop

11. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I didn't know Husqvarna made guns either. Those are some good looking guns, are they expensive?

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Ja, doze r nize svedes. Ja.

13. jpattersonnh

Can be! I had my dates incorrect, The 2000 series was made in the early 1970's. They are some of the highest quality firearms period. Swedish arms always were of very high quality. The term Swedish steel refers to the very high quality of their steel, which was just coincidence as the ore contains high amounts of carbon. When I had the 1942 M38 sportered the smith broke 1 drill bit and 2 taps drilling and tapping 4 holes. He said that is the hardest steel he has ever seen. If you find a Swede you can figure on $400.00+. If the seller has a clue, well above that. Cottontop did really well. Cotton, try just neck sizing your brass for that rifle. If you still have an issue try a new bolt body or head. I do have a spare strait handle bolt that is arsenal new (1940's still in paper) that I bought to help me w/ '96 action issues. Make sure the recess for the lugs are really clean, it may be not quite engaging fully.

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

jpattersonnh,
    I'm thinking that the chamber might need a good cleaning as even unfired factory new cartridges seem to stick a little when trying to extract them. I know the gun hasn't been fired in a while so I think a little steel wool on a copper brush is in order. Also, the extracted brass has lots of small scratches running length wise as if the chamber might be a little rough.
    cottontop

15. jpattersonnh

Your right, the cartridge may not be seating correctly. I like the green scrub pads over steel wool though.