Hurts to shoot

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NGIB, Aug 26, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

We've all had that experience, a handgun that is just plain uncomfortable to shoot. What's it been for you?

Mine was a Kahr PM40, their pocket model. I shot about 25 rounds of range fodder and it wasn't pleasant but not to bad. I then loaded up a mag of hot SD ammo, Hornady TAP I think, and that little beast flat hurt to shoot. I sold it not to long after and found something a bit less obnoxious...

2. meek

meek New Member

I have a Rossi .44 mag lever action that digs into your shoulder worse than anything else I've owned. It's butt is just thin enough to work it's way into the bone. The metal butt plate doesn't help either. I've never really shot an uncomfortable hand gun but most revolver get so far of point that it's almost not worth buying larger gages.

3. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

The PA-63 I had with stock springs. Tends to sting a little after awhile.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The cure is wax paper.

It keeps your candy az from sticking to the seat. Pain is weakness leaving the body.

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Never met a handgun I didn't like.

But then I've never shot anything real small. My Star 9mm is the most compact I've ever shot. It twists a bit but is still a nice shooter.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Ahhh, OK :confused:

7. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

My Smith & Wesson AirLite 329PD is down right painful to shoot with Magnums. It peeled the hide off my thumb on the second shot.

I put 500 Magnum grips on it, and it's a little better... now its 12 shots before skin is peeled off.

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

What's a gage?

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Large bore derringers....ouch!

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

If it hurts to shoot it, it does not belong in my stable. I will only train and shoot on a firearm that I can control, not the other way around. That being said, it would have to be the .600 Nitro Expressor or.458 Winchester Magnum. I fired it a few times at an exhibition at one of the ranges here. Never would own one, even just for a collection piece.

Jack

11. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

I bought my S&W 629 back in 1980. It came with nice deeply checkered wood grips. I bought a box of factory .44 Mag loads at the range and fired the first five rounds. I then set it back down on the shooting bench, and went straight back into the gun shop at the range to buy a set of Pachmyers. I then managed to shoot the rest of thebx, but the palm of my hand was pretty well tore up.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I shot a Thompson Contender one time that was chambered in, I think, .45-70 ( which used to be like a buffalo cartridge, or a big game cartridge ).

If I remember right, Lance Hendricksen had a very similiar model in a Jean Claude Van Damme movie called Hard Target.

That thing was just 100% not necessary under any circumstances. :eek:

Damn near tore my arms off ( I was like 15 at the time and working at a pistol/rifle club where a guy was shooting big bore ) and my hands hurt for like an hour or two.

No doubt about it, that was a pistol I did not want to shoot a second time....

JD

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I watched the Lock & Load episode about pistols. The slo-mo shot of Ermey firing the S&W 500 was great - looked like his arm would come off.

I love wood stocks on revolvers - for pictures only. Very hard to shoot these big bore beasts without the cushion of rubber grips. I had a 3 inch S&W 625 in .45 and it was a beast to shoot with full power loads...

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

The .45-70 Gov't is called the 'brush buster'. It was obvious that the round easily tore down most brush no hunter would attempt to shoot through at game. You can still get firearms for that round. :D

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I saw that. He was shooting from a squat position and it almost knocked him onto his arse. Good stuff. :)

16. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

No that was the .44Mag that almost knocked him on his a$$. The 44 Mag knocked the ballistics gel block off the table. He shot the .500 at the outdoor range, and by the looks of the shock wave that travelled up his arm, if he had shot THAT gun from a kneeling position, he WOULD definately have been knocked on his a$$!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  17. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

The only thing that comes to mind is...years ago I was at the gun range with a friend and we traded 40 cals for a few rounds. I was shooting his Glock .40, after we traded back I noticed some light cuts in my hand w/ some very very minor bleeding. Firing the weapon never hurt, I always have a firm grip when firing any firearm, the only thing I could think of is that the gun didn't fit right in my hand and would squirm when fired leaving the small light cuts. But because of this I have never considered Glocks when I'm interested in a new handgun purchase.

18. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Nah that's funny. I don't care who ya' are!

19. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I have a very small .380 which is to shooting as scraping one's fingernails on a chalkboard is to music. Aside from the web of my thumb, it only takes a few mags to raise blisters on your trigger finger.

20. russ

russ New Member

I was out shooting earlier tonight and met some nice people at the range. One of them had a Ruger LCP .380. It was like that scene in Austin Powers 2 where Fat Bastard meets Mini-me, "Christ he's tiny!" Anyway, shot 6 through it and gave it back, pretty uncomfortable (not to mention the mile-long trigger pull).