hurt at work

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by rurak, Aug 2, 2013.

1. rurak

rurak New Member

So I was bending over to pick something up, I felt a pop in my lower back and collapsed instantly due to pain. Took 5 minutes to get up and I'm at the chiropractors office right now ... my back has hurt before but this was dam intense ..... wtf. I'm kinda scared. I wasn't even lifting anything ..... and I have to work all weekend

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Did it happen at work?
    If so, then get with supervisor.
    Workman's comp.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Did you have your feet together, when you bent over?

The last time I did that was 6 months of back agony.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

May be time to invest in one of those lifting belts; I have considered it myself. My chiropractor did help with my back pain, very significantly.

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Ouch! Happened to me too. Had a slipped disk. Looks like a few months of being on the bottom.:D

6. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

If you have to end up dealing with work comp. doctors be careful. They can be difficult. There job is to get you back to work as soon as possible. Ready or not.

7. tri70

tri70 New Member

I get on a heating pad ASAP when my back does this, once in a great while. The hp is the only thing that worked for me.

8. string1946

string1946 New Member

When you have back problems it can make life miserable. I have had back pains over the years and usually a trip to the Dr. and a few muscle relaxers, pain pills and anti-inflammatory drugs and a couple week and everything would be fine. A year and a half ago my back went out and nothing would help. Ended up going to a neurosurgeon and having something called Lumbar Fusion. Now its not 100% but at least I can do all the things I like. I have had people tell me they would never have back surgery. My response is "Its just not hurting bad enough yet. When it does, you will".

9. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I feel for ya!! Few years ago I was standing on top of a piece of equipment and went to pull a piece of plywood out of a hole. Before I even pulled on it good it was like everything in my lower back came apart. I knew I had to get off the piece of equipment or I was going to fall off so I jumped down. I was leaning over a barrel thinking how hot my legs felt one minute and the next someone was saying lets get him up. Only time in my life I passed out. It still goes out from time to time but I have gotten use to it and better able to manage it when it does. Rest is about the only thing that helps me get it back together. Its no fun and once it starts it doesn't stop. Good luck.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I hurt mine recently at work, bending over to collect a 10ml water sample from a tap. Because of the discomfort distracting me and contorting my posture, I ended up having another accident, the nature of which I will not disclose here.

Be careful. I've just recently gotten over both injuries, and they both made me absolutely miserable. I couldn't tell you which one was worse either, it was a pretty close contest.

11. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter New Member

I feel for you,I've had back problems for over 30 years.A short leg caused curvature of the spine.The chiropractor and a shoe lift got it straightened out but now I have 5 bulging disc,degenerative disc disease and arthritis all the way down my spine.Things go out sometimes when I'm really not doing anything at all,just getting out of my chair or turning or something. Back pain is NO FUN at all.

12. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Rurak, and anyone else in a physical job, those back braces may look stupid, but they can give you DECADES of pain-free life! It doesn't take much to cause an injury that you will feel for the rest of your life. Back braces are cheap compared to what the alternatives are.

Rurak, the worst thing you can do is let someone, even a doctor, tell you how you feel. DO NOT let anyone tell you that "there's nothing showing on the X-ray" or any other such crap. DO NOT "man up" and not complain. If you hurt, or are unable to do something, complain like a wet cat! I have been a patient advocate before and men are the worst about communicating their injuries and pain. If you don't care about yourself, NO ONE else will. Stand your ground for your health as well as your life! :)

13. rurak

rurak New Member

I basically crawled into the chiro today. I came out walking upright. It hurts like hell still but is bettter. I'm going to rest it tomorrow. Thanks for all the stories and advice!!! Friggin back pain is the worst

14. orangello

orangello New Member

I found that walking (not running) worked out some of my lingering pain.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Been there and done that. It hurts a lot. Get a good back brace and get an exercise regimen from the Chiropractor. You will need to strengthen your core muscles to keep it in place. Workmans comp will pay for treatment and therapy in most cases.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Remember, cold is used to reduce swelling, warm is to relax muscles.

If you have a bulging area, put cold on it.
    If the muscles are tight, warm.

The last chiropractor I saw tried to twist me and tore a disk worse than it originally was. Now I have a fusion in place of it.

Shots, physical therapy, etc does not help me anymore. The last time I got shots (6, 3 on each side of spine), the doc had me stand up while I was still feeling good, and had me bend. Even with the effects of anisthesia, I still had pain.

There is no fun when in constant pain, so get fixed correctly.

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

A few years ago I had a back injury that sounded exactly like yours. A pop and I went down like an anvil it took 15 minutes to get up, to get in a car to go to the hospital. I thought I had worked my last. As it turned out, it was a muscular issue and I really didn't blow out my back like I thought. Muscle relaxers took care of the issue after a few days.

I probably deserved the injury as I was lifting stupid, and I knew better.

18. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Congrats, Chainfire, sounds like you got off easy. Those little reminders are appreciated when they don't do permanent damage.

19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Kind of feel like one of those old thumb toys? The one that looks like a man or an animal with a string holding all the pieces together. You push a button on the bottom and the whole thing collapses.
    That happened to me twice. The first time was ignorance. The second was stupidity.
    Get a weight lifting belt and strap it on as tight as you can tolerate.

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

What Dan Said,..except for the Chiro part. I have been lucky that since i started with Chiro almost 20 years ago at least I get a little relief. I have had three Great ones, two back east and now for the last year+ one here. When they really know what they are doing and they "Listen" to you they tend to help more.