Hunting with SKS or AK47

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by mightymouse, Jun 1, 2007.

1. mightymouse

mightymouse New Member

Does anyone hunt anything with an SKS or AK-47? I was thinking about taking my SKS out to hunt deer here in Georgia this year. It's pretty thick wooded cover around here, I think it would make a pretty good brush gun. Just curious if anyone ever hunts deer or anything else with these rifles?

2. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Hunting with SKS or AK-47

Mouse/ALL

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Here in WV, the 30/30 has been mostly replaced with folks that Use the SKS, Balistics between the 30/30 and the 7.62X39 are pretty close and it works as a brush gun well! My Dad kept one behind his seat after replacing a Model 94 and a marlin 336 with a Norenco SKS! The AK, not near as many, I did see one fellow Hunting PIG on his Property with an Chinese Mac-90! WV has no Magazine requirement, but lots of folks think they do and insert a 10 round mag into the AK, the 10 round mag in the SKS is fine and works well! Not sure whats legal in other states, but I'm sure many others follow the WV model?

3. Declaration Day

Declaration Day New Member Supporter

I don't own either firearm, but have heard that thier accuracy is a bit lacking.

However, if you can hit your deer with it, he won't know the difference.

4. RONSERESURPLUS

Hunting with SKS OR AK-47

Declaration day/All

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Yes, althought not MOA type of rifles, a deer can easly be fetched with either rifle, happens here inWV all the time! Remember in Viet nam and other wars the AK or SKS got Pleanty of our soldiers, if you7 can hit a Man, you can hit a deer, just that simple? LOL

5. Gearguy10

Gearguy10 New Member

Just take the bayonet off, please!:D

6. RED

RED New Member

My son hunts with his MAC90

He is quite a character, he doesn't care that much about hunting but LOVES to eat venison. He spends a lot of money at the local meat packer on sausage, jerky, spice sticks, etc.

Two years ago he couldn't get off work for the season but he shows up opening day at 3:30 PM. Tells me he is going to stroll down to the woods with his MAC90. About 3:45 we hear Blam, Blam, and 30 seconds later, Blam again. in less than a minute he fired 3, 7.62X39 Win. factory rounds and filled 3 tags, a nice 8 point and 2 does. All one shot clean kills.

I like the 7.62X.39 cartridge so much I am having a a Rem. #7 rebarreled for it. Personally I believe a good Chicom SKS makes an outstanding woods gun for whitetail.;)

7. Travis White

Travis White New Member

A stock SKS will work for hunting but you can do better than that. All the ones I've shot have had terrible accuracy.

8. GUNGIRL

GUNGIRL New Member

and remember most states will only allow 5 rd mags for hunting.

9. stlucian

stlucian New Member

Don't ask Zumbo! LOL

10. jtoddellis

jtoddellis New Member

I guess you could say I deer hunt with an AK. Sort of. I use a Saiga .308 and it is deadly accurate. Mine has wood furniture. It is a bit heavy though. I have carried my 7.62x39 a few times but havent shot anything with it. The saigas are a lot more accurate than most AK's. I guess its because they are russian quality instead of romanian junk. For those who say a saiga is not an AK I will post pics later. Mine has AK upper and lower handguards, bayonet lug, threaded front sight base, AK-74 flash hider and ACE folding stock. I would love to kill a big deer with it so I could get a picture of the deer, myself, and my AK in the local newspaper.

11. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 New Member

Never hunted with an AK or SKS. Don't own one, but I have hunted with my M1A.

And yes the 7.62x39 is a heck of a deer round. Planned on getting a Mini-30 just for that reason but it hasn't made it to the top of my got to have list. Yet.

12. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I and my son have shot deer with my SKS. It'll do the job at close (100yards or less) range but not real accurate. Fun guns to shoot though.

13. mossberg kid

mossberg kid New Member

i agree with gearguy10 take the bayonet off first. it would look pretty bad to be caught in the woods by some anti-hunting people with a bayonet on your rifle. But it should work great as a bush rifle. i have a yugo sks but never thought to use it as a bush rifle. thanks for the idea. And it works great on coyotes if you get the chance.

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I hunted deer in Kentucky last year with my Yugo SKS, does make a good brush gun, but be careful of the effective range. I didn't get the opportunity to use it though. I have shot coyotes with it though and I will tell you from experience that it makes a damn good coyote gun.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Check your state game laws for mag capacity- Colorado has a 5 rd max, VA has none- your mileage may vary. Use something besides military FMJ (civilian softpoint) and it should do fine for Eastern Whitetail. Keep your shots to the distance you can consistently hit a 5" paper plate, standing offhand, and you are OK. Back East we don't have many 500 yd shots- and the SKS should be appropriate to 150 yds or so. I have one with good bore than shoots 2" at 100.

16. h&k bigdaddydieseldan

h&k bigdaddydieseldan New Member

I don't see no reason why you couldn't hunt with either of them they both go bang bang bang :eek::eek::D:cool:

17. RONSERESURPLUS

Sks Or Ak Hunting Tool?

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

SKS Or AK for HUNTING? Why not? Here in WV, the SKS has replaced many a Model 94 or marlin 336 30/30? Yes, some states limit the magazine capacity, Not here in WV! I seen a few Nice Does taken last year with Both SKS and AK! Check your local laws and do it up?

18. 4rum

4rum New Member

I'm new to the SKS scene. I've acquired one recently. I honed and polished the trigger and now can get an honest inch group at 50 yards from a bench rest. (Wolf, 122 gr. HP) ((Black box))

I have dies ordered, as I'm not too familiar with most of the ammo available. I plan to load Sierra's 125 gr. HP #2020. It was designed especially for the .30-30 Win. and should perform well at the velocities I hope to generate from my Yugo 59/66.

Shooting the Yugo is just plain FUN ! If I never get to hunt with it, the experience has been worth it.

19. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

If you want accuracy don't buy .308 dia 30-30 bullets. The 7.62 x 39 actually uses .311 dia. bullets.
    I'm thinking of trying my Yugo 59/66 SKS this season - but I will be reloading for it since the accuracy sucks with Wolf ammo. Hell, if the accuracy doesn't improve with my handloads I'll just pop a grenade on the launcher....

20. 4rum

4rum New Member

The Yugo I purchased was 'rearsenaled' to like new condition. The bore is very good. The Wolf is loaded with .308 diameter bullets. The range at my gun club has hanging 'gongs' at 100, 200 and 300 yards. All are deer sized or thereabouts. From a bench rest, I can ring them all... every time.

I put any gun, load and bullet through some pretty rigorous range time before I take anything hunting. Once I am confident in the capability of the hardware, depending on my ability to get within the acceptable parameters of the game I am hunting, I'll usually be comfortable in trying a reasonable shot.

I've read that some SKS's shoot respectably with .308 diameter bullets. Mine certainly shoots well enough at moderate ranges to put one in the boiler room of a white tail.

I have some crop damage permits coming, that should give me a chance to get off paper and onto meat.

Venison recipes anyone? :D