Hunting with pellet gun

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by longunner, Nov 8, 2012.

1. longunner

longunner New Member

I just bought one of those ruger break barrel pellet rifles because I have a huge squirrel problem at work...so far I've killed three of the bastards. If someone is thinking about buying one for hunting small game I recommend it but i have yet to try it at long distance.

2. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i use an older pellet gun that i got probly 15yrs ago... killed three woodchucks with it this summer from 10 to 25 yards. pellet guns are pretty impressive little monsters

4. longunner

longunner New Member

Pics of the rifle or the kills?

5. longunner

longunner New Member

I use those .177 destroyer pellets...scary stuff

6. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have a 177 Crosman Phantom. It was checked with a chrono right at 1040 FPS every shot. As long you keep it close range you will be just fine. Don't buy the expensive 22 cal pellet rifles. I bought a Benjamin nitro. After about 1000 rounds the thing fell apart. I took it back to Walmart and got my money back. Just about all pellet rifles have one of a few power plants. They all are the same thing with different furniture.

7. tri70

tri70 New Member

I want one, I used to work with a guy that was on an air gun forum. One of the guys on the forum used the air rifle for blasting prairie dogs in Lubbock, TX.

8. longunner

longunner New Member

How could I check my fps?

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

chronograph

10. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Both. Any and all :) im interested in seeing the gun and what it can do.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have a Sheridan Blue Streak in 5mm- in between .77 and .22 Have had it for ages. There is a polymer tipped pellet that will kill a squirrel deader'n 4 o'clock at 50 yards. Extremely accurate rifle.

12. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Are the pellets hard to get ?

13. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

I've got a qb36 rifle from shanghai air rifles I got about 14 yrs ago and it shoots great

14. longunner

longunner New Member

I'll post up pics on Monday of the rifle...as for the kills I'll see if I can pop another of the bastards because the squirrels are already gutted and soon to be put in the smoker :)

15. 207driver

207driver New Member

I have sent many 'dog-rats' (prairie dogs) to dog hell at 75-100 yards with my trusty lil 5mm Sheridan. I don't remember when my dad first bought it, maybe mid to late '70s. and I had to rebuild the seals once already. It is a tack driver and 8-10 pumps will reach out to 75-80 yards with about 12" or so of drop.

Fashioned a clamp-on mount for a 1.3X Bushnell, and built an acurasizer for the cylindrical pellets to keep the velocity more constant. The waisted pellets work much better, but are not as hard hitting.

16. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I use the crosman premiere pellets they are more accurate in my gun than the destroyers. Both pellets weigh the same. My .177 pellet gun will punch a hole in a squirrel at about 35/40 yards. Much further than 35 yards it drops off quick. People might make longer kills but I limit my shots to ranges were the pellet goes through the squirrel. I do my best to keep my hunting ethical and humane.

17. longunner

longunner New Member

I use the premier hollow points too.

18. longunner

longunner New Member

I took some pics at work today with my NEW iPhone 5 today. Great phone I have to say :cool:. Anyway I did sort of a range report at what I think was 20 and 25 yards. I took a couple pot shots at a maple syrup bucket, which isn't really the thickest steel but I have to say it did an impressive amount of damage. I also really like the sights (which you can't really see in the pics but its real bright) and the trigger on it. It came with a 2 stage trigger. I cant really tell if the trigger really is two stage because I've never actually shot one but I do really like it.

Attached Files:

19. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

I've got a BSA Meteor Super in .177 that I've had since I was 14. I've put probably 5 or more main springs and kits in it with the last 1 about 3 years ago and it's killed quite a few Sparrows,Starlings,a few rabbits with head shots and a few feral cats,regards

Attached Files:

• bsa1.jpg
      bsa1.jpg
      File size:
      32.2 KB
      Views:
  20. 207driver

207driver New Member

I know it's not a pellet rifle, but back in the '50's, my brother and I (each with a Red Ryder) would pick Sparrows off the peak of the 3 story barn like it was an arcade. It had to be 18-20 yards, and I don't recall missing that many shots, 'cause back then BB's were scarce, at least for us. I picked up another Red Ryder a few years ago, and at 4-5 yards it groups at about 9 inches. It looks the same, but is nowhere near the same precision.