Hunting with my 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by luke13, Oct 14, 2012.

1. luke13

luke13 New Member

Know here in Florida where the big game only gets so big my 1911 can bring down pretty much whatever I decide to shoot with no issues. Me and a couple of my friends plan on going moose hunting on some property in main some time soon. I was wondering if anyone has input as to wether a .45acp could bring one down?

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Why in the Hell would you even consider shooting a majistic moose with a .45 ACP? Moose live on my property and we hunt moose for meat. That said we harvest these big animals in the most human ways. I doubt that shooting moose in Maine is legal with the .45 ACP any way.:(

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Perhaps you have some misconceptions about 45ACP.

Even with FMJ, the penetration and speed of .45ACP

is surprisingly light and slow. That's what makes it so effective

against weak skinned humans, for SD. But for anything with a thick hide,

you very well may not penetrate.

Do some penetration ballistics tests for yourself.

You may be surprised.

4. luke13

luke13 New Member

To night stalker I was only asking from pure curiosity I cary it as protection I'll be hunting with a .303 British not primarily the .45. Wasn't after causing hard feelings

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I imagine if you were to empty a 1911 into a moose, it'll probably go down... Eventually.

Stick with the 303 man. It just wouldn't be right to use the 1911, for at least the reason it would likely be a very inhumane kill.

6. luke13

luke13 New Member

I know how little a 45 penetrates it's a pathetically slow round I shoot both the .45 and a 9mm and the penetration difference is ridiculous. But like I said a carry a 1911 as protection due to being charged by wild boars (I primarily hunt), and it is very effective in that type of situation. I was more or less curious to find out its effectiveness in that type of situation

7. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

What about a light .45 acp round say 90gr that is traveling above 2000 fps with 850 foot pounds of energy? Think that will help?

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A 90 grs. .452 Bullet? Who makes a 90 grs. .452 ? Loaded to 2,000 FPS in a 5" 1911 pistol with 850 Ft lbs of energy? Wow who has loads for the 1911 that reach 50,000 CUPS? What powder are you using ? What weight recoil spring are you using for this load? Is this load for a standard 1911 or .460 Rowland or?:confused:

9. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

RBCD and its in a standard 1911. Recoil is lighter to me and standard spring.

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Dude, if you go Moose hunting in Florida, you will be at a zoo. (that is generally frowened upon)

I am fairly good with a 1911, and I have never considered hunting "deer" with it. However if a deer ever gets close enough to pull a knife on me, I will blast his or her ***.

11. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Hey watch out for the antlers..............

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

What in the world is RBCD?:confused: Please just post your loads and bullet number. I am a very dedicated handloader. I would like your help on this .452 90grs. bullet load. If it is cast what alloy and BHN can take this velocity from a 1911 barrel. Ifo. Please Thx much.:)

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think that if a person needed or wanted a pistol for using when moose hunting, that there would be much better choices that a 1911 in 45 acp. personally i am thinking a 44 magnum or a 357 magnum would be better suited.

14. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

RBCD is the brand or the company that produces these bullets. I'm not sure what .452 is but the ones I have are 45 acp and 90gr. I also have some for my LWRC M6 in .223. If you Google RBCD you should be able to find the company. There are some good comments on it on the web as well as some negatives but that can be said about any round. They are expensive but that can be expected if they live up to what they claim they can do.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Gunrunner, those are fragmentation rounds for SD use not for very large thick skinned animals. not in any way an optimum round for moose!:rolleyes:

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Maybe RCBS?

Yeah, I go with .44 Rem Mag, because with the same size projectile,

there is 4 or 5 times the powder driving it. Ballistic tests bear this out.

It's mulish recoil, but at least 3X the penetration of the .45.

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Compared to a Florida swamp deer or whitetail a moose is a huge beast. Pretty sure Maine doesn't allow handguns as weak as a .45 ACP on moose. Muzzle energy is one thing but remember a fat short projectile losses speed pretty fast, and a lightweight bullet like a 90 grainier would definitely break up on a moose hide and begin to fragment leaving a messy but very shallow wound track. You need a long heavy bullet that will retain weight to achieve enough penetration to get into the boiler room of a moose. In .45 cal I'd be thinking along the lines if a .45-70 bullet.

Also just something to keep in mind is that moose are actually pretty territorial and they can get mean. A mean and pissed off moose at a height of 4 foot 6 inches on up to 6 foot 9 inches at the shoulder and weighing between 800 and 1500 lbs is not what I put down as an animal I want to take on with any handgun let alone one that doesn't say Magnum after the caliber.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Bullets made for the 45 ACP have a nominal diameter of .452. A Moose weighing in at 1,000 lbs can charge at 35 MPH these are not white tail deer. They are around my house all the time they are tough critters. I have posted this before. A young 2 year old bull maybe 600 lb. He visits the back yard about every day. His dad is over 1,000 lbs with a bad attitude he stops by often as well. This one is covered with thistle burrs.:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  19. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

if i had no other choice and the moose was 5 feet away i suppose i would use a .45. as a last resort to being run over. but if you are looking for a a true backup gun you need to invest a nice revolver in .44 mag or higher! .44 being the smallest. a moose is a huge animal and if you have the luck of not bringing it down with your rifle i pray for you.

20. PeterLuger

PeterLuger New Member

Look, you will probably think this is childish, but might I interest you in a .50 Desert Eagle AE? If you have the recoil control, one well placed round would probably get you some dinner :)