Hunting With Hornady A-Max Projectiles

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Bayou, May 11, 2014.

1. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

Does anyone have any experience using Hornady A-Max projectiles on bagging game? How effective are these projectiles on bringing down game?

Thanks....

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The A-Max line of bullets are a match grade target bullet,not a hunting bullet. They do not expand like a bullet designed for hunting.
    There are many other bullets that shoot very well,and are designed for hunting.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

they are brutal on deer so much so that you shouldnt use them on a shoulder shot you will lose both quarters.

ive shot three deer with them, 308win, all three dropped where they stood. first was a shoulder shot as above, second one was a heart lungs and it liquified the heart and lungs. third was a neck shot completely destroyed the vertabrae turned it into shrapnel for all intents decapitating the deer.

each bullet was a complete pass through the first going through two shoulder bones. there was no deflection on bone hits

effective on deer?? yes very, in 150grain loading.

would i use it on deer again?? only for neck shots.

this deer season i will be using nosler partitions.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I like the Hornady SST's for deer, excellent expansion and weight retention.

Nosler Accubond's are also very effective.

5. mike1-505PIR

mike1-505PIR New Member

I dropped a hog with the 168 grain a-max in my 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

Thanks. How much damage did the bullet do to the internals of the hog? Could you describe the exit wound as well?

7. mike1-505PIR

mike1-505PIR New Member

It's been over a year since I killed that hog. I did not cut him open to look at how the bullet preformed on the internals. The exit wound looked like the bullet had broken up and shredded on the way out.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1400770646.000602.jpg
    You can see where I hit him and the exit on his throat. I hit him again in the belly and it went out his back.

A friend of mine killed a deer with the A-max. Hit it in the lungs and the deer ran about 50 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I like the A-Max on deer. As Jon said it will blow up a shoulder but with the small size of the deer here in NC the meat loss in minimal. I use a high shoulder shot and with a 162 gr A-max all the deer I shot were DRT. I will take a bit of meat loss to drop them and not have to track. That said I scaled back and use a .243 with 100 gr Core-Lokts and high shoulder shots kill them just as dead.