hunting with handguns

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by rem870forever, Aug 14, 2013.

1. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

I'm going to hunt with a handgun, hog, deer. Should I get a 9mm,.40cal, or 357 mag.Btw I'm a cheap ass when it comes to ammo

2. michael80

michael80 New Member

Check with your state for requirements for restrictions before you buy a handgun.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

With the correct ammo, the .357.

4. 1turkeyhunter

1turkeyhunter New Member

Here in Ky.

EQUIPMENT
    • Any caliber centerfire rifle or centerfire handgun.
    • Rifle or handgun magazines may not be capable of holding more than 10 rounds.
    • Rifles or handguns may not be fully-automatic (capable of fir- ing more than one round with one trigger pull).
    • Full metal jacketed or tracer bullet ammunition is prohibited
    • Shotguns, no larger than 10-gauge, shooting slug ammu- nition (includes saboted bullets) only.
    • Muzzleloading rifles, hand- guns, or shotguns shooting round balls, conical bullets, or saboted bullets.

LEGAL EQUIPMENT FOR ELK SEASON
    • A modern rifle of .270 caliber or larger, with a magazine ca- pable of holding no more than 10 rounds.
    • A muzzleloading rifle of .50 caliber or larger.
    • A muzzleloading or breech- loading shotgun no larger than 10-gauge, and no smaller than 20-gauge, firing a single pro- jectile (slug, round ball, conical bullet or saboted bullet) only.
    • A handgun with a barrel length of six (6) inches, or longer, with a bore diameter of .270 inches or larger, when firing a bullet, producing at least 550 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards.
    • Firearms may not be fully-au- tomatic (capable of firing more than one round with one trigger pull).
    • Full metal jacketed or tracer bullet ammunition is prohibited
    • Archery and crossbow equip- ment that is legal for deer hunt- ing. Hunters under 16 years of age and over 65 years of age may use a crossbow during all crossbow and archery season

5. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Personally, I consider the 9mm and the .40 S&W to be unsuitable choices and the .357 mag to be marginal. I know hunters have harvested deer and hogs with all three but none of the would be my first choice.

I'd really consider using a .41 or .44 magnum if you want to go hunting with a handgun. If you are limited to the three you mentioned, go with the .357 with heavy bullets and limit your range.

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

+1 spot on.

Go with a 6" .44 Magnum.

If you have to have a .357 Magnum don't cheap out on ammo. Get the good stuff. Do that regardless, actually.

7. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

If I was to get a 9 or 40 what ammo should I get for hunting. Could I use 357 ammo that's about $20 a box

8. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

9mm and .40 S&W are not acceptable rounds for hunting.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

I've just looked through the threads you've started. You keep asking the same questions and disregarding the sound advice that has been given to you.

I for be am not going to be giving you any more advice. I suggest to the others the same thing.

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Are you kidding me? Please tell me you are joking. Right? You have any idea how cruel it is to use lower calibers to kill deer and hogs? A 9mm? Really? They would suffer unnecessarily, and the woods would have injured game running around. Not cool dude. Not cool at all. Just asking question makes me wonder if you are a hunter, or just a shooter. A big difference. Sorry to be mean, but I do not ***** foot on such matters.

12. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

I've seen people hog hunt with 9mm and .40 . But your probably right I haven't ever went hunting with a pistol cal before

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Awesome answer. Thank you, Sir. I really am trying to help. Thank you for understanding. I wish to take back "Just asking question makes me wonder if you are a hunter, or just a shooter." A 41 or 44 magum is a good round for short range shots. Go for the heart chamber. Will take them down. A .357 magnum is used over here to make a final shot to the head if a rifle cartridge does not kill on first shot. I carry a .40 in case of a final shot to the back of the head (and for self-defense from two and four legged animals), but never had to use it. We are big on not letting the animal suffer. It is illegal to hunt with handguns minus the mercy shot. We have great respect for wild life like most hunters in the US. A German hunter who is cruel or a shooter will be shunned.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I hand load for it. That in my opinion is what I would get for handgun hunting. That is why I bought it. I will be carrying a 30-06 this Elk season. But that 44 will be on my hip. If I can get a shot within say 65 yards I will use the 44. It does not have a scope. While a .357 may have the power to drop a deer...(my friend has taken a couple with his) I would not want a pissed off hog turning on me because I was too cheap to buy a 44 mag. My Super Blackhawk was only $399.00 at a pawn shop. I even got them to pay the taxes on it. 44 mag is expensive ammo. But you could get set up to reload it for about $100 if you shop around. I started with a Lee hand press, the plastic dippers for measuring powder, and a Lee set of dies. You could pay more than that for a couple boxes of good 44 mag ammo.

15. lucznik

lucznik New Member

I know of no State where the 9mm or the .40 S&W (or even the .45 ACP for that matter) would be legal for any big game hunting. I don't know much about hogs but, none of these cartridges would be on my list of choices.

I have killed three pronghorn antelope with my 4" .357 Mag. The shortest shot was just shy of 50 yds and the longest was right at 76 yds. No animal made it more than 20 yds after being hit. The .357 Mag is, therefore, perfectly adequate in my experience. I would even be very happy to use it on hogs.

However, I feel compelled to point out that, in the states where I've hunted, no factory load is capable of meeting the legally-mandated energy requirements (usually something like 500 ft lbs @ 100 yds) necessary to make the .357 acceptable for big game hunting Hand loading ends up being the only option to overcome this problem and you need pretty stiff charges and heavy-for-caliber (180+ gr.) bullets to make it work too.

Even so, in my home State, and despite the fact that my .357 hand loads do meet the published energy requirements, the .357 Mag is still not legal for big game hunting. So, I've had to purchase a bigger gun. I went with a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag with a 7" barrel and then topped it off with a 2x Leupold scope. I'm planning on taking at least a couple more pronghorn with that gun this year. Given the chance, I might even use it on an elk...

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You have to know your state rules and work with in them . But a 45super from a 1911 or glock 21 with the right bullets would also make a good hog cartridge for closer shots. I grew up hunting with a 357 in south florida for hogs. Over a 20 years period I took close to 200 hogs with it hunting free time year round. I had red dot on it and 8" barrel. I did learn early on what worked , and what did not. Even when to much was to much as with a 180gr hc at 1450fps. Follow up shots one handed was not practical. A 180gr hardcast at 1200fps will take a hog in the 180lb 200lb range thru bother shoulders or head to tail or go to ground in the rear half . On a 350lb it will brake down a shoulder and drop a hog for a second shot if needed. We did catch and cut bores for later on so they did grow bigger. I did not shoot for heart lung shots as the bullets I used were not designed for that. My shots were kept at a distance I could shot one handed and keep rounds in a 4" to 5" area. Back then that was 40 yards free hand , no support for a quicker shot.

I would use a 9mm or a 40 but only as a finisher where legal or as a CC and have but my new handgun is a 40 cal, load is a 155gr unicor bonded gd at 1300fps in a light weight pistol and will go to the woods with me this year during bow season. I have no doubt at 20 yards it will work with a shot well placed.

To much bull about whats big enough and what ain't. An old man that use to fly in to his camp back in florida used one rifle for his so many years of hunting. A 22 hornet. It was legal. He killed bear, deer and some wopper hogs with that rifle letting some go by when he did not have the best chance of a good shot. Largest hog he killed was a 412lber piney wood rooter / domestic mix. Who was it that said , "You got to know your limitations".