Hunting with an AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by KY1911, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

Why...do I keep hearing from people that "people don't hunt with AR's", "you can't hunt with an AR"??

I disagree myself, I've seen too many posts with deer, coyote..taken with what? Yeah that's right.. an AR...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

If I'm correct the AR is the most common deer rifle in America

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

are you seriously for real, making such an ignorant statement as that?

are you so young as to not know about bolt action and lever action rifles?

you have made some really lame comments and remarks on this forum, but this one has got to be at the top!

4. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

I have to agree Axe...that is a seriously inaccurate statement!!

5. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

. Ain't no way anybody is that brick headed he's kidding right?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  6. Axxe55

it's not his first one.

the AR manufacturers are trying to expand the market into building AR platformed hunting rifles. many people build an AR with hunting in mind for it's primary usage. IMO, i believe that more people will start using an AR platformed rifle for hunting in the future.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

AR's are great hunting rifles.
    are they the most common? no, but they do serve a credible hunting purpose.

8. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

I have a buddy in my deer camp that's a ex-navy seal and he always bashed the Ar for one reason or another mainly for accuracy . I took my cheap Del-ton and my H335load and a 50 g nosler and showed him what these Ar's are capable of after I shot a 3 rd group at 100 at .48MOA He brought me his and said make me a load . I loaded him up some 77 gr Hp with some Varget . Now He will take it when he goes on what he calls a walkabout for deer . He's nuts . I think u must be to qualify for the seals . So anyways yea you can kill a deer with a 223 no problem it's just that. Most serious deer hunters don't hunt with them.Peace

9. BUCKSLAYERR78

BUCKSLAYERR78 New Member

The .223 would not be very effective on large game such as deer. Not saying it would not kill one but surely larger caliber rifles would be better suited. But it is great for smaller game such as coyote or groundhogs. So yes people can and do hunt with them, but to say its the most used deer weapon has to one of the most foolish things I've ever heard.

10. Axxe55

i will be the first to say the 223 isn't the best choice for deer hunting. but, there are many different calibers that are available in AR uppers.

just a few i can think of off hand at the moment. 308, 243, 6.8 SPC, ect.,,, there are many different calibers much better than the 223.

some people make statements without knowing what they are talking about. ain't the first time here.

11. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

I can confirm the MOA. I've been breaking mine in and have about a .38 group @ 100 yards.

12. BUCKSLAYERR78

BUCKSLAYERR78 New Member

I completely agree that with a different upper it would not just possible but practical to use an AR build for deer. I specified the .223 because I foreseen the replies that a larger caliber could be used. I'm not trying to get in a pissing contest with anyone. Simply stating the obvious that .223 is not the most efficient deer caliber and in many states it isn't legal to use for hunting. But really who cares what they are used for. We need no provide an animal we hunt or a reason to need an AR. Any law abiding citizen has the right to any gun he wants. Obama would have the general public believe otherwise but we all know better. So instead of bickering amongst ourselves lets defend our constitutional right to bear arms to those trying to rob us of that right.

13. Axxe55

personally i have nothing against people hunting with an AR. and the manufacterers are gearing towards more people wanting to us an AR platformed rifle for hunting.

i just thought it rediculous that someone would say that there are more AR's used for deer hunting than other types! considering the fact, the only firearm he owns is a pellet rifle.

14. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Most common deer hunting MSR not most common deer rifle, my mistake, I would assume the most common would be the Remington 700

15. eastby

eastby New Member

The minimum cartridge size in Washington state to hunt deer,elk, and bear is .24 caliber (6mm), so .223/5.56 is out. Starting to see more AR uppers in 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, and .300 AAC Blackout, so those would all work. WA also no longer has a capacity limit on AR magazines when hunting big game. All that said, I still hunt with my Savage 111 in 30-06. If I need more than four rounds to take down an animal, I should just hang it up.

16. Axxe55

i agree with your statement about the Savage 111! very well said.

there are more people now starting to use an AR platformed rifle for varmint and hog hunting. these i can see using larger than 5 shot mags when hunting. but again these are not game animals and in most states, they don't always have a season nor limits on the them.

some states do have caliber restrictions when hunting game animals. i just don't think the 223 is the best choice. yes it can kill a deer if used with the proper ammo, and used within reasonable distances with proper shot placement. but i feel there are much better choices than the 223.

17. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'm a firm believer that .223 is a great cartridge for white tail deer. Is it the best cartridge? No, but if you are a good shot, it WILL get the job done.

18. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I have known a few guys around here to hunt with the 223 or the 22-250 for whitetails, they definitely aren't a brush gun but for shooting in the open they are sufficient to kill deer, but for obvious reasons they aren't all that popular for deer hunting.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

What gets me are the guys from my original neck of the woods in Mississippi, hunting white tail (the guys that are never going to go big game hunting), and they swear they'll never use anything smaller than a 7mm mag. Many use 300 RUM, Weatherby mag, or WSM, and one local bass turd uses that "Nitro Express" (I forget the actual caliber). Isn't that a freaking elephant rifle?

There is no game I repeat, absolutely NO GAME in Mississippi, the really needs anything bigger than a .30-06. Luckily, you find more sense than money in most of the places I frequent, and the most common in those areas are .243, .30-30, 7.62X39 (because the SKS is a common deer rifle around those parts) and .308, with a smattering of .270 and .30-06.

20. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I think most would say that the Winchester Model 1894 30-30 has taken more deer than any other rifle. I sold my flat band '94 30-30 several ears ago to a friend, but kep't my old 38-55 SRC. There's just something I love about those lever actions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.