Hunting With a mosion nagant

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by akm47nagiont, Feb 25, 2012.

1. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

What would you hunt with it and what ammo you would you buy

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

When I used to hunt with my old m44 nagant I just put any soft point I had in it. The 7.62x54mmR is a powerful round that sports a lot of lead and it expands pretty well so any SP is fine.

I ended up trading my m44 for an old lee enfield a few years ago tho.

3. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

No, there are literally millions of good guns and calibers out there, mosins are trash.

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Mosin aren't trash... everyone has a gun they swear by my old man swears by his 7mm rem mag if it walks this earth (at least north america) he thinks he can take anything with it. Mosin are good rifles, simple, reliable, and easy to fix if anything does go wrong with them. A 7.62x54R soft point has enough power and metal to it that you can hunt pretty much anything with it. I took a hog at 120 yards give or take with it put him down one shot, white tale no problem take them down no problem, bigger game might be a problem just depending I've never hunted moose or elk or brown bear or anything like that really but from my experience you should have no problems with it.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

*sniff* is that crack I smell?
    Mosins very much are NOT trash, gun snob. They are damn good rifles, reasonably accurate considering probably over 90% on the market have survived at least one world war while being used by Russian conscripts who probably rarely cleaned them. Built like tanks. Still in use today against our forces in Afghanistan. They have been used to take almost every large animal on the North American continent, including polar bear. Mine has such a dark and pitted bore it's unbelievable, yet still holds minute of soda can groups at 100 yards

With a soft point bullet, they will take anything. I wouldn't use milsurp ammo, just because of it's lack of expanding capabilities.

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey troll- you willing to run across a field while some one shoots "trash" at ya? ( no, this is not a threat, just making a point)

7. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

Instead of calling a mosin trash a more accurate discription would be to say a mosin was a Russian military bolt action rifle mass produced for their military. In original military configuration they do not make the best deer rifle but the fact is at a 100 yards they could easily take down a deer. I dont own a mosin but if it was going to be my primary hunting rifle I would change the trigger on it ,reload my own ammunition for it and install a scope on it and I bet I would have a pretty decent hunting rifle. I think people who call old surplus rifles trash show that they just are not very informed about what they are talking about. I own 4 8mm mausers and I can tell you that at a hundred yards whatever Im shooting at is one dead f##$er. Ive had many a day at the 100 yard rifle range where I have out shot newbies with scoped rifles with my k 98 mauser with iron sights. I think Ill purchase a mosin just to see what i can see how it shoots.

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You stand 400 yards from me. I'll use 1 182gr cartridge. Afterwards we can talk. 500,000 Germans can't be wrong. :rolleyes:
    My 1st hunter was a sportered 1916 GEW '98. I would get looks and chuckles from the less wise. I out shot a guy w/ a .30-06 700 and a leupold scope w/ an everything original rifle w/ a cut stock and a Lyman receiver sight.

You are incorrect sir. Every firearm has merit. To degrade one is just ignorant.

BTW, They are rifles.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Vermin, Deer, hogs, Elk, Moose. Very capable round. For deer sized game, 180..203gr sp ammo.

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

WEll! humph! If it isn't bright, shinny, with a hi-tech plastic stock, and hasn't got electronic gadgets hanging off of it, and doesn't cost $3000.00, it must be junk.....(at least that is what I read on the internet)

Over 20,000,000 made, over 60 years of production, over one hundred years of service. Someone should have told Mr. Mosin and Mr. Nagant, before, that their rifle was Junk in 1891 and all of that wasted production could have been avoided.

11. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

I'm more have it for coyote and havalina hunting but would it be good for coyote hunting with out a scope or would it be just too much of a hassle

12. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

I like the mosion its fun and being that I can't afford a more accurate rifle I chose it because of the history in the price range out of all the other rifles I looked at for my price range and before I bought it I thought it was a piece a crap and really hesitant to buy 1 now I'm glad I did because even though it's not the most accurate rifle or the most expensive it is quite a lot of fun to shoot most of the time accuracy comes from the shooter even with the most accurate rifle if I jerk the trigger it's gonna be off target

13. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

So you think I'm wrong? That gun is trash, made by communists to hand to cannon fodder. They didn't want a great gun to hand to the masses of subjects that were going to die anyway. There are plenty of inexpensive rifles out there they are exponentially better for hunting and target shooting. Ever hear of an H&R topper or a stevens 200? Cheap, more accurate, and a much wider/better selection of ammo.

14. unclebear

unclebear New Member

actually I would like to point out that those cannon fodder rifles (at least mine) is accurate esp with the bayonet, I've had sub MOA groups with iron sights at 100 yards no problem. The triggers may not be as good as the 700 or other rifles but for the money it really can't be beat, the mauser was handed over to cannon fodder as well as the Enfield. Great for them I really couldn't give a flying rats ass about H&R or Stevens, I use a mosin because it's a high powered rifle, ammo is cheap, the rifle didn't cost me out the ass and it can kill everything from men to deer. I would rather have 5 rounds out of a old russian work horse then one round at a time out of a H&R.

15. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

You can think im wrong, a gun snob, a troll, I know what I'm talking about. 15 years as a professional gunsmith, have worked for 2 prestigious custom smith shops before starting my own business. Have a college degree in gunsmithing, firearms instructor, certified armorer for Remington, colt and Glock. I flat refuse to touch one of those garbage rifles and turn people away who bring them in. I'd like to see your sub moa groups with that pile. I'd bet dollars to pesos you are full of it.

16. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

I'd say you're not right or wrong when you compare the mosion rifle to the modern rifles you have a much heavier rifle. ammo is harder to find. and it's not easy to put a scope on it. But for the price can you beat it. And yes it was made very crude part of that is they did not have the technology or the materials to make a better rifle or train the troops on how to use it. we can go on for years about this let's agree to disagree. and please have respect for our decisions on what rifle to buy

17. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Ok, let's compare it to rifles of its time. 1892 win 1894, 1895, 1886 win. 96,98 Mausers, enfield, savage 95/99 all superior. Better magazines, sights, bolts, accuracy, tolerances, better ammo selections, you pick. There are millions upon millions of better choices. Don't give me that price bs, you can go anywhere and get a good cheap gun that out performs the mosin. The damn things even stink from the oil in the stock!

18. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

Price for me is an issue because I am currently unemployed and heck I'll look into those guns also if you have a better hunting rifle for under 300 dollars let me know I will definitely look into it I may have bad taste in rifles at the time when I bought it I had 150 bucks

19. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

And you're right all of those rifles did out perform

20. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

I'm sorry to hear about the unemployment. We get mosins for 89 bucks at gunshows here. A savage axis is cheap, my first big game rifle was a savage 110 in 243 that I bartered for when I was 10. Go to pawn shops, gun shows, read forums, arms list.com, many ways to get a good cheap rifle. Something like that especially a savage and you could tweak it and hoot it out in time. Change bolt parts, barrels, stocks, have 1 rifle in 4-5 calibers.