hunting with a military arm??

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by sizir1shotguns, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sizir1shotguns

sizir1shotguns New Member

i saw guys hunting whit military arms. i saw a video of a guy that went hunting whit a m3 shotgun, and a kid that went hunting whit a barret 50cal [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtH4AmozIyA]YouTube - Wolf hunting gun!.wmv[/ame] is this good for hunting because isin't the barret purpose to exatly KILL his target the bullet explodes when it hits the target so is military arm good for hunting yes or no . :)

2. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I use a M1A to hunt moose and bear and a SKS for deer. I have gotten 15 deer with the sks and 3 bears with the m1A. as long as you are using hunting rounds there should not be a problem.
    F.K.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends on what you call a "military arm". My 8mm Mauser, .303 Enfield, SKS, 03 Springfield, Swiss K-31, MN 91/30- sure. With hunting ammo. An M60? M203 grenade launcher? Why, hello, Mr. Game Warden!

BTW, the .50 BMG does not "explode" unless you are using something Raufoss cartridges, or some rather exotic ammo. Is it WAY overkill for deer? IMHO, unless the deer is hiding in an light armored vehicle or a refrigerator, yes, it is.

4. Shade

Shade New Member

I have used my M98 Mauser, AR-15 to hunt, there is no issue with that choice of
    weapon. A firearm is a tool to propel a projectile, what that projectile does when
    it hits its target is based on the design of the projectile, not the gun that fired it,
    outside of its initial muzzle velocity.

Hunting bullets are designed to "mushroom" or "open up" inside the animal and
    cause as much trama as possible. My preference is Barnes TSX bullet, this type
    of bullet tend to be less effective on "hardened" target, think kevlar or hard
    plate armor.

Military ammo (save the really cool special stuff they have; which is all illegal
    in the Communist Repubik of Illinois) aka FMJ are designed to me more "humane"
    by just causing through and through injuries. You can thank the Hague (IIRC)
    convention for that.

5. Shade

Shade New Member

The Military has some cool as **** stuff available for the .50's these days.
    All we had on the ship back in Desert Storm was some anti armor (tungsten penetrator with some magnesium on the back side of it. Idea for gunboats but not much more, the rest was ball and tracers.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Hunting rifles were products of Military rifles in most cases. The Boers used high end Model 1895 sporting rifles to beat on the Brits.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

8. jpattersonnh

Here are a couple pics of Dual purpose rifles...
    M41b, great hunter and sniper!
    [​IMG]

Bushmaster DCM, Great for iron sight High power or Varmints.
    [​IMG]

1943 Soviet PU Sniper, Awesome hunter.
    [​IMG]

9. Shade

Shade New Member

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I've taken Elk with a M1A with a 5 round mag to be legal. With a .50 cal BMG round I think you would waste/destroy alot of meat. For Wolves however, the only issue would be the cost of the round. BTW, unless your a cattle rancher leave them wolves alone.

11. jpattersonnh

Seriously? A .50 BMG for hunting? Just like coyotes, wolves use cover very well. I really doubt that if you could find one in the open it would be necessary to shoot it w/ a .50. Hunting is a sport, not the killing fields. Lets not forget, explosive ammo for civilians is slightly illegal as is hunting w/ FMJ in most states. Why even entertain the idea?

12. patret

patret New Member

The firearms used for hunting are regulated by most states. I would check your state laws. You can hunt with a Machine Gun in Arkansas. Who is that bad of a shot? I practice all the time and I can hit the ground every shot.

patret

13. Rallen

Rallen New Member

I will occassionaly take my Garand hunting. It is a challenge with the open sights. used to hunt deer all the time with my M14, to heavy to lug around anymore.

14. jpattersonnh

That is hunting! I'm also a big fan of iron sights on my Military rifles for hunting. With the exception of a couple, my hunters all are exact copies of/ or are military actions. I guess you need to be over 40 to appreciate them.;)
    I find a light '96 or Small ring '98 suits my needs very well. A 6.5lb 1896 action
    Mauser rifle spitting out a 286gr pill to 150 yards dead nuts is an ungrade. Still a very familiar action as it is identical to my 6.5x55 Swede surplus rifles. Some of those iron sight rifles are 700 yard killers. Just look up Bella wood from WW1. U.S. Marines opened up on the Germans at 700 yards. Shreaded them pretty good w/ 1903 Springfields.

15. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

At one point I wanted to use my Mosin...

Nagant, but I misplaced the box of non-corrosive ammo "somewhere still to be
    found in my motorhome"! DO'H! :rolleyes:

16. fragout

fragout New Member

Hog dumping should be a required thing in my state. The critters are thick here.

They also like to roll deep, so a semiauto works out as a decent way for me to do my part and help out the state.

Lots of folks around here use AR's, and AK/SKS rifles at ranges of up to 100yds or so. I prefer the M14 for this role, not to mention deer.

17. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

Over the years I have used my 8mm yugo mauser and my 6.5 italian carcono. Both have scopes mounted on them and they do a great job. I kinda got away from using them because of the cost of ammo, even reloading its about twice as much as my 06. I am a firm believer that the key is practice, practice and that takes ammo, and I practice with what I hunt with. So that rules out the old military stuff. They both are reasonably accurate and a hell'va lot fun to shoot!!!

18. group17

group17 New Member

I think all kids should learn to drive and shoot with a 50 cal at a young age.
    Just as long as they can see over the dash and hold the 50 cal off the ground for more than one min.

I want to see Mike-y carry that piece wolf hunting.

19. group17

group17 New Member

Or is that why he learned to drive the SUV?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The OP smells strongly of Troll shyt. The video is a stupid redneck production designed primarily to give the anti-gun, anti-hunting crowd more ammunition to use against us. This entire thread is now fodder for the left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.