Hunting with 3" .357

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Scratchammo, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

What range would a 3-1/16" Ruger sp101 be sufficient at taking a whitetail? I'm considering Buffalo Bore hardcast 180 gr. Any suggestions?

2. freefall

freefall New Member

As far as you can hit a softball every time.

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Would you prefer hardcast or hollow point?

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I think you are on the light side. I do deer hunt Eastern Whitetails with a 357- but this is what I use-

dan wesson.jpg click pic to enlarge

I use the heaviest hard cast solid I can handload over a case of 2400 powder.

And I agree Freefall- range you can hold all your shots in a 5 inch circle. That 10 inch revolver will do it at 100 yards IF I have a shooting stick- but not pure standing offhand.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  5. rugerlover53

rugerlover53 New Member

I agree with checking on the laws. Many states have a minimum barrel length law. I am betting that 3" is not allowed. Get a longer barrel.

6. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Not enough runway for a jet to take off.

7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I'm not bashing the .357 idea as much as I am the 3" idea,a 3" barrel is going to shake around alot in an exited state,not enough front weight.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Scratch,

SORRY! But your pistol will not comply with Tennessee Law. For Center Fire Pistols to be used for Deer and Game it requires a minimum of a 4" Barrel.

9. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

It's for MS, I'm still trying to find the requirements.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  11. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Scratch,

Looks to me like they do not have a centerfire caliber or barrel length requirement. Only that the bullet must be of an expansion type bullet. Like soft led tip, Jacketed expansion round, hollow point and etc. I have a friend that is a law enforcement officer for the Mississippi State Police. I have sent him and another guy I know at Mississippi Dept. of Wildlife an e-mail. If you do not find out prior I will get you the confirmed answer.

13. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Thanks for the help. I was also considering BB 158 gr jhc.

14. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Anything 158gr and up and on the hot side should probably do you just fine. By far your biggest challenge (with any handgun hunting, really) will be accuracy. Not sure how well you can shoot, but I'm pretty good and at 25 yards even without the stress of hunting I'd have a tough time keeping my shots inside 5" off hand with full-house magnum hunting loads in what is a pretty small (by hunting standards) handgun.

15. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I'm pretty good just as long as the gun doesn't have a ******* striker. I know a spot where deer frequent that's very thick so range won't be a huge factor.