Hunting wild turkey

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by maineshooter, Apr 9, 2014.

1. maineshooter

maineshooter New Member

Maine, and I think New England in general seems to have wild turkeys everywhere now. Just today I had a tom strutting around out back and even jumped up on my deck. I keep thinking, "I love turkey, I wonder what wild turkey tastes like". So I am thinking of taking up wild turkey hunting. We have two seasons in Maine in October and in May.

I read people in other parts of the country using calls, camouflage, and everything and still sometimes go for days without seeing a bird. I think all I would have to do is sit on the back deck with a shotgun and a cold beer and I would eventually see one stroll by.

My question is, are they good eating? This tom today was pretty damn big. So he had a lot to him.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes they are good eating. the problem with turkey hunting is that turkeys have excellent eyesight that is even better than an eagles from what i understand.

i have the same issue with deer in my yard. deer season rolls around, there are no deer to be seen! we also have two seasons of turkey hunting here in East Texas. problem is, very, very few wild turkeys. i have only seen maybe two or three in the last ten years where i live.

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I bagged my first turkey this year with my shotgun, scared the hell out of everybody in the frozen food section. :)

4. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

If you want one to eat shoot a jake. The toms can be tough. Here in NC we have oddles of them. Smoke the breast and make soup out of the rest of the carcass.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

DO spend some time studying your state game laws before you bag a bird. Like- what is a "bearded" turkey, etc.

Tastes? Pretty darned good. Do not expect the HUGE breast on a Butterball- those poor critters have been bred to produce that huge breast- in the wild, they would not last 10 minutes.

Unlike deer, turkeys DO have color vision, and vision is GOOD. But the decrease in predators has resulted in more turkeys making it to adulthood, and they are plentiful here in central VA.

Of course, Washington DC has more turkeys.............:rolleyes:

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

One of the best tasting game birds in the field, best deep fried !................

7. natman

natman Member

Yes the are very good eating.

Now if you want to hunt wild turkey, you should go somewhere where there are WILD turkeys. Not a lot of sport in blasting one that's become suburbanized and is used to seeing people. The fun is in fooling a truly wild animal into coming to you.

If you do decide to "hunt" from your porch be sure to check your local laws regarding discharging a firearm near a building, etc.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If the turkeys near the OP have become urbanized shooting a few of them would make the birds wild again. There is nothing like a few turkey casualties to make the birds spooky.

The first couple days of turkey season here the birds walk right out in the open all day long. After a couple days the birds get spooky and hunker down.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Most folks here in the north east just breast them and toss the rest. Pulling the leg tendons is a b!tch. I dump the drums and slow roast the breast and thighs. The skin on older Toms can be like shoe leather. Cutting out the breast and thighs, cutting those into thin fillets works well.

10. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Fry the breasts and use the legs and breasts for turkey and dumplings. Of course that is something Yankees haven't a clue about. :D

11. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Wild Turkey is the best,way better than domestic turkey you buy in the store. We normally take the breast and cut it across grain into strips,flower and fry!

12. maineshooter

maineshooter New Member

Thanks for all the advice. This morning I was having a cup of coffee and looking out my kitchen window watching a Tom strutting around with his tail feathers tall and proud. All the while a hen was pecking seeds at the base of our bird feeder. Suddenly the Tom's tail feathers dropped and the two hens took off flying up into a nearby tree and the Tom took off running and then I realized why. A red fox was running down my driveway and took off into the woods chasing the Tom. I better keep the shotgun nearby as I have chickens out back.

I don't really live in a typical subdivision. I'm off in the woods pretty secluded.

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Dude, I'll make some biscuits and gravy along w/ the Turkey and dumplings, you decide! Don't count Yankees out, unless you are talking Baseball. Screw that Yankees!! I was born and Raised in NY, hate 'em.

14. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

I went turkey hunting this Morning, opening day. It rained like heck so I wimped out. will try again Wednesday morning, but they are good eatin just not real big like your injected hormones turkey in the store.

15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My neighbor has feeders around his farm. The wild turkeys who eat at his feeders sometimes hop the fence and come across my pasture. I shot one once and told him about it and he got P.O.'d that I'd shot one of his WILD turkeys. :rolleyes:

16. AaronMulligan

AaronMulligan New Member

Yeah turkey is good eating! Roast it to experience the best way of eating it. I prefer roasted turkey than deep frying it.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Nest time dont tell him and invite him for a turkey dinner.:rolleyes:

18. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Well, you had a lot of nerve shooting one of his WILD birds (LOL) next time do what SRK97 does and shoot one in the frozen food section (LOL), that's what I do.

Arron, G'Day mate and welcome to the forum. I was unaware that turkeys were indigenous down under, I thought you guys liked Ostrich there.

Jim

19. BVAL

BVAL New Member

I think there was a big problem awhile back, but then again it was a pig, not a turkey. If I'm not mistaken I think the names were Hatfield n McCoy ,,,,,,,,,,LOL

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I love wild turkey. Especially 101 proof! :D