Hunting using your pistol?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dynastyofnext, May 5, 2009.

1. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

Do any of you use your pistols to go hunting? I was on the glock site researching and they recommended the G20 for hunting. I dont understand how that situation would go down. Would you run up on the deer like some hoodlum and just empty the clip on it? Do you do it tactically? Mafia style put it right behind the ear?

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

To me there is only 2 semiauto hunting rounds out there. The 10mm Auto and the 460 Rowland that cane and JD are building. Other than that you have the 357 mag, 41 mag, 44mag. 357 maximum and maybe a few other like the power monsters 460 smith and 500 smith.

To hunt with a pistol like the (GAGGGG) GGGGGLock you want the 10mm and you want to be dam close like max of 25 yards.

3. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

lol why does everyone hate glocks so much. lol what thrill would you get from hunting with a 500SW all you're going to take home is bits. Ok so it is possible to use a sidearm as a hunting weapon. I'll have to try that once.

4. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I use rifles to hunt with, but I always have a trusty handgun strapped to my side while in the woods hunting just in case I come across an aggressive varmint, snake or the unforeseen. etc.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Handgun hunting with a "tactical" caliber is very challenging. It requires a hell of a lot of stalking skill. I've done it a few times myself, and got within range to take a shot, but never did, due to the animals not being legal.

If you can get within 25 or 50 feet of an animal and have the marksmanship skills to deliver a lethal shot with the adrenalin streaming, then it's a whole lot of fun. For me, though, the thrill of the hunt lies in the stalk and not the shot or the kill.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Throw a fully loaded ggggggggg20 at them and pray for a lucky hit.

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I usually take my .45 with me when I go hunting but only use it for self defense (against stupid hunters who don't know what private property means) and for really close shots. My primary hunting weapon is a 12 gauge shotgun but will use the pistol to finish off a deer that is still alive after being shot with the shotty.

Last year I did this with a 12 point buck that my FIL shot. He was hit in the spine and using his front legs to crawl downhill. He didn't have the use of his hind legs because of the wound. I shot him with my pistol because a .45 round is cheaper than a Remington Coppersolid, which is what the both of us use in our shotguns. I shot him through the heart and then headed up the hill to get the ATV while my FIL field dressed him.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have hog hunted with a .44 Ruger SBH. 300gr Sierra SP's at 1200+ will do a number on big hogs. Probably overkill for Texas whitetails (they're kinda small). I have passed on relatively easy shots with a .45. I just do not think it humane to use on deer. Will it kill em? Sure. Will it kill em clean? I don't want to find out.
    10MM with good loads are far superior to the best .45 ACP loads. 180 Gold Dots at 1300fps are plenty for deer out to 50 yards, if you can shoot accurately at 50 yards. I have taken Coyotes as far out as 100yds with that load.

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm doing some squirrel hunting with my buckmark this year. :)

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I deer hunt Eastern Whitetail. Use a 357 revolver with a 10" bbl, and handloads (165 gr solids)

Please note- I am hunting in mountain laurel thickets, and 50 yds is a long shot.

That revolver and its handloads, from a sitting position, is good to about 100 yds on a deer. Most states will have a minimum caliber or energy level for big game hunting with a handgun. And yes, one in the boiler room WILL plant a deer. IMHO, the max range that you can hold ALL your shots on a 5" paper plate USING THE POSITION YOU USE HUNTING will determine what "Minute of Whitetail" is for you and that gun.

I have been known to squirrel hunt with a 22 target pistol. More for the practice than anything.

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

In Ohio, for instance, the pistol has to have a min 5" barrel and .357 or larger.
    Alot of guys use 6" and .44 mag. The thought is not 'if' the round carries enough energy to kill the dear. The idea is relative accuracy with energy. Cap and ball pistols are not allowed to hunt with in Ohio as the round has to be a straight walled cartridge. Just killing an animal is not the idea behind hunting. 1 shot-1 kill is the goal of every hunter I know. While it does not always happen that way, it is the goal.

12. cloud8a

cloud8a New Member

I read an article about hunting small game with Cap-n-Ball pistols. It sounded really fun. I think I am going to get a 1858 Rem. and rabbit hunt.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I have a couple of cap and ball. The long barreled ones can be pretty accurate esp with conical bullets.

The State of Ohio has yet to catch up to the technology in many areas when it come to hunting, imo. Check your laws, but seeing you are in Texas...:cool:

14. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

Damn you guys are lucky. I feel like that kid who would sit inside on detention while the other kids were outside playing.......F***ing NY!!!!:D

15. WDB

WDB New Member

I've hunted with a Thompson Contender (7mm or 30-06 bull barrels), I have a shoulder holster so it's like hiking until you find deer. In the PNW 50 yards is a typical shot due to the terian and floiage density.

16. divinginn

divinginn New Member

Ga has a requirement of 500 pounds of energy for a pistol,so it takes a very hot 357 load or better to hunt. I have killed one with a 44 mag and missed quite a few with a 41 mag,missed 3 in one morning one time. I would stick with a 41 mag or better for deer sized game.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

United Van Lines! South on I 95 to the Gunshine State!

18. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

lol I think after my gunsmith course is done and I get my FFL I might look into moving to florida.