hunting survival essentials

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by savageman97, Jan 25, 2013.

1. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

I am thinkin about what I want in my hunting bag and I thought I'd ask u guys? I'm thinkin of kind of a bug out bag but just for hunting.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

1st aid kit, flash light, fire starter, tinder, toilet paper, hand wipes, signal devices, compass, sharpener, para cord, space blanket, map, food bars.
    I always had my knife and a hatchet on me. A whistle works better than 3 shots and does not waste ammo that you dont have a lot of. Fritos make great kindling and you can eat them in a pinch. Toilet paper will make kindling too. If you dont carry a hatchet, put a wire saw in the pack or put it in anyway.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

JTJ has a great list. I always carried an aluminum water bottle so I could use it to boil more water. A second compass is often recommended. Also have a least two ways to make fire(maybe a lighter and some matches or a metal match).

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

JTJ has a great list there. I also like to carry one of those plastic ponchos that is the size of a space blanket. You can make a small shelter out of the poncho and paracord, and still have your blanket to help keep warm.

5. cgersty

cgersty New Member

As stated above I also carry a back up knife with a saw in it, several pairs or rubber gloves for field dressing and a tiny diamond pocket knife sharpener, signal mirror, i usually my property where I know it like the back of my head, but this is what I bring when I'm on other properties, never know what's gonna happen, I also carry a Zippo and a tiny bottle of fluid for it.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I travel light. Tomahawk,knife,lighter,water filter and paracord boot laces. If it doesn't have multiple uses I don't have the energy to carry it.

7. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I also carry a empty plastic pill/perception container packed solid with lint from the clothes dryer. It will help build a fire fast when when using the scratch magnesium starter.

8. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

These are some very helpful tips. I don't think anyone mentioned Duct Tape! LoL

9. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Rope and a plastic ground cover/ pancho for a makeshift shelter I would add to the above lists. Plus dry socks

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I could write a book on this, but it depends where your are hunting and what you are hunting. Elk hunting in the dead of winter above timberline requires A LOT more survival gear that deer hunting in the woods of AL.
    But basically the key is to stay dry, warm, hydrated and maintain your energy (food), first aid, and ability to signal rescuers.

11. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

I'm hunting deer and elk in washington

12. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

I'm thinking of kind of a long range hunting/backpacking setup

13. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Socks. Smartwool socks are awesome. Spendy, but they dry fast and don't promote bacteria growth.

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Those of us who live in the Western High country keep winter gear and food in our outfits the year around. You can find yourself facing winter conditions 12 Mos a year.
    There are bears, wolves and lions to factor in as well. Learning to use a compass can be more of life saver than a plastic Walmart Poncho.:)

15. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I keep my pack light, and carry minimal stuff to get me through a night or two if needed. I keep most things organized in plastic ban aid boxes,palstic creamer bottles and a plastic Quick box.
    poncho
    a shock of paracord
    baby wipes,TP
    Some foil,salt and pepper packets,ketchep packets
    A couple gal zip loc baggies for organs
    Plastic bandaid box filled with simple first aid items carmex,asprin,benedryl Triple anti bio ointment, some super glue, gauze white tape razor blade,tweezers,needles floss,butterfly bandaids..
    nitrial gloves
    Gerber folding saw
    2 knives + multi tool
    a hone
    2 fire sources
    If Im hunting in a wet environment I carry a road flare for guarantee fire.
    cotton facial discs drencehed in wax for tender
    small bottle purex gel
    Loud whistle
    Flashlight
    extra dry socks
    scarf
    water
    jerky
    trail mix some apples
    gum sticks
    a cigar (if Im going to chill a night,Im going to have a bit of comfort)
    extra rifle ammo, Extra 10mm ammo will be in my magazines on my belt.
    a book
    A lensatic compass and blm map.
    water.

***Too Add if your planning a base camp type hunt then its a different set of need you need to carry to your campsite..And them what you carry from your base...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  16. cottontop

cottontop Guest

At my age and condition, I don't ever get far enough away from the truck to have to worry about it.
    ct

17. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

Until you're truck fails you

18. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Yeah, but you have shelter with the truck, and can get a lot of good uses out of things in or on the truck.

19. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

Ya that is very true. Iv actualy been thinkin of puttin together a truck bag/retreival kit

20. NC1760

NC1760 New Member