Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinkin about what I want in my hunting bag and I thought I'd ask u guys? I'm thinkin of kind of a bug out bag but just for hunting.

·
Premium Member
14,475 Posts
1st aid kit, flash light, fire starter, tinder, toilet paper, hand wipes, signal devices, compass, sharpener, para cord, space blanket, map, food bars.
I always had my knife and a hatchet on me. A whistle works better than 3 shots and does not waste ammo that you dont have a lot of. Fritos make great kindling and you can eat them in a pinch. Toilet paper will make kindling too. If you dont carry a hatchet, put a wire saw in the pack or put it in anyway.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
JTJ has a great list. I always carried an aluminum water bottle so I could use it to boil more water. A second compass is often recommended. Also have a least two ways to make fire(maybe a lighter and some matches or a metal match).

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
JTJ has a great list there. I also like to carry one of those plastic ponchos that is the size of a space blanket. You can make a small shelter out of the poncho and paracord, and still have your blanket to help keep warm.

·
Registered
536 Posts
As stated above I also carry a back up knife with a saw in it, several pairs or rubber gloves for field dressing and a tiny diamond pocket knife sharpener, signal mirror, i usually my property where I know it like the back of my head, but this is what I bring when I'm on other properties, never know what's gonna happen, I also carry a Zippo and a tiny bottle of fluid for it.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I travel light. Tomahawk,knife,lighter,water filter and paracord boot laces. If it doesn't have multiple uses I don't have the energy to carry it.

·
Supporting Member
2,130 Posts
I also carry a empty plastic pill/perception container packed solid with lint from the clothes dryer. It will help build a fire fast when when using the scratch magnesium starter.

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
Rope and a plastic ground cover/ pancho for a makeshift shelter I would add to the above lists. Plus dry socks

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I could write a book on this, but it depends where your are hunting and what you are hunting. Elk hunting in the dead of winter above timberline requires A LOT more survival gear that deer hunting in the woods of AL.
But basically the key is to stay dry, warm, hydrated and maintain your energy (food), first aid, and ability to signal rescuers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could write a book on this, but it depends where your are hunting and what you are hunting. Elk hunting in the dead of winter above timberline requires A LOT more survival gear that deer hunting in the woods of AL.
But basically the key is to stay dry, warm, hydrated and maintain your energy (food), first aid, and ability to signal rescuers.
I'm hunting deer and elk in washington

·
Registered
665 Posts
Socks. Smartwool socks are awesome. Spendy, but they dry fast and don't promote bacteria growth.

·
Banned
6,489 Posts
Those of us who live in the Western High country keep winter gear and food in our outfits the year around. You can find yourself facing winter conditions 12 Mos a year.
There are bears, wolves and lions to factor in as well. Learning to use a compass can be more of life saver than a plastic Walmart Poncho.:)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I keep my pack light, and carry minimal stuff to get me through a night or two if needed. I keep most things organized in plastic ban aid boxes,palstic creamer bottles and a plastic Quick box.
poncho
a shock of paracord
baby wipes,TP
Some foil,salt and pepper packets,ketchep packets
A couple gal zip loc baggies for organs
Plastic bandaid box filled with simple first aid items carmex,asprin,benedryl Triple anti bio ointment, some super glue, gauze white tape razor blade,tweezers,needles floss,butterfly bandaids..
nitrial gloves
Gerber folding saw
2 knives + multi tool
a hone
2 fire sources
If Im hunting in a wet environment I carry a road flare for guarantee fire.
cotton facial discs drencehed in wax for tender
small bottle purex gel
Loud whistle
Flashlight
extra dry socks
scarf
water
jerky
trail mix some apples
gum sticks
a cigar (if Im going to chill a night,Im going to have a bit of comfort)
extra rifle ammo, Extra 10mm ammo will be in my magazines on my belt.
a book
A lensatic compass and blm map.
water.

***Too Add if your planning a base camp type hunt then its a different set of need you need to carry to your campsite..And them what you carry from your base...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Until you're truck fails you
Yeah, but you have shelter with the truck, and can get a lot of good uses out of things in or on the truck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts