Hunting rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jersh243, Oct 29, 2013.

1. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

I own a Remington model 788 chambered in 243 win. I am looking for opinions on scopes and such. I will be using this rifle for hunting deer mostly. I'm 14 so please keep prices reasonable! Thanks!

2. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

For the money, you can't go wrong with Nikkon. You can get a nice 3-9x40 for about $150-$170.

3. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

Thanks! I will check it out!

4. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Nikon, redfield and Simmons offer decent scopes in the $100-$200 range that are pretty good for the money, and in the long run, worth teh extra over the scopes that are often "bargain" scopes under $100. Checking e-bay for some used scopes can be alright also if you know what you are looking for. I like some of the older Simmons and Bushnell scopes that were made in Japan, before they shifted manufacture to China. The glass and quality control was better. These can often be found for less than $100, since they are used.

6. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

No problem! Let us know what you get and how she shoots!

7. sandog

sandog Member

The Redfield Revolution and Sightron SI are both good scopes for not much over $150 , much better than the newer Chinese made Bushnell's and Simmon's. The Redfield is made in Oregon at the Leupold plant. The Redfield can be had with the Accurange reticle and the Sightron with a mil dot.

8. smarquez

smarquez New Member

I just gave a way an older Burris 2-7 last week. It was a real nice scope and would have been period correct on a 788. Sorry the timing worked out wrong or it would have been yours.
    HINT, HINT, HINT