Hunting rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by swann, Aug 9, 2012.

1. swann

swann New Member

If you could pick any deer rifle and scope what would you get also I'm looking for a rifle for my girlfriend to hunt deer and hogs with me what would you guys get for the lady she's about 5'6 140 lbs med frame I've got 2,000 to spend on the gun and scope

2. 75370

75370 New Member

I missed the the $2000 budget, there we have Win. Mod. 70 Super grade in .308. You'll have to buy used and shop around, but it can be done.
    As far as scopes, I would suggest Leupold VX-III, 2.5-8 power. I don't know what the range is for the hogs, but if it's close, you might even want to go to the 1.5 to 6 power.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

3. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Get her a Remington model 7 CDL in .243 or 7mm-08. I love the Winchester model 70 Super grade but I don't think it comes in short actions? Any quality scope will work, but I would recommend a 3x9x40 or 4x16 for longer distances. :)

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Savage Axis XP in .223, under $400.00 bucks & you will have a very good rifle.....................

5. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

+1 on the Savage Axis Or Axis XP (XP includes mounts and a 3-9x40 Bushnell) in your choice of caliber. Then upgrade your optics to whatever you want and still save some money. Otherwise if you insist on spending more or just don't care for the Axis upgrade to one of Savage's other models (10, 11, 12, 14, 16)

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

+1 again on the axis. If you have the money get a trigger job maybe even a better one and bed the thing to help with longer shots. Put a 3-9 40mm leopuld on there and you should be well under 2 grand.

If you want "higher class" gun, then get one of the stainless tikka models or even a ruger m77.

For a girl of her size i would suggest .243 up to a 30-06 depending on how comfortable she is with recoil.

7. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Wow, it's nice to see so many Axis fans as opposed to the usual crowd of 'bashers' who have never bothered to hold one because 'it's just a cheap rifle so it must be crap'. Lol

8. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Cheap rifle? I have a mossberg 100 you wanna talk cheap. 300$ and i was out the door. Shoots 1in at 100 right now im trying to get that down to 1/2in i just cant shoot very often.

9. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Love the axis n heard real good thing from the guys at the about there Ruger all American rifles I ain't shot one but my girl friend went to the rang with my fiends dad and shot his she wants one now but she wants just about everything LOL

10. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Howa supreme with trijicon accupoint scope. Upgraded trigger mag well and stock. Polished bolt,cheek rest and case. 1900$ itll out shoot anything you put next to me.

ForumRunner_20120810_235658.jpg

ForumRunner_20120810_235728.jpg

ForumRunner_20120810_235803.jpg

11. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Beautiful gun. That looks similar to the remmy 700 action. Do they use the same style action?

12. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Almost. The howas a little sticky. But after i had it polished its smooth as heck.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Axis is a good rifle, but i will throw in my suggestion, the Marlin X7 series of rifles. they even have them in youth models that might fit your wife better because of LOP. they are very accurate, very well built and the fit an finish are excellent. priced very decently also.

personally, i have shot several different Axis rifles over the past couple of years, and honestly, they are a good rifle with decent accuracy. but i like the Marlin X7's a liitle better. that's just my personal preference. for me, i like how the Marlin fits me better than the Axis. choosing the Axis would still be a good choice though.

14. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Did that include scope? I got my .308 Axis XP in camo with the 3-9x40 for $329 on sale at cabelas (+ tax).

15. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Yes. The scope is OK but thats it. I didnt have money for a better one :( but get new rings for the scope the defaults are to small and the scope touches the barrel. But for 300$ and a scope if you can afford a better one there is nothin better.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Centurian22, IMO, the Axis is a decent rifle with better than good accuracy and at a very good price. also IMO, they are worth every dime spent for what you get. my liking the Marlin X7 series better just comes from an ergonomics reason, the Marlin fits me better. but i have no hesitation in suggesting that someone give the Axis a try, because it might be the one that suits their needs and it would be a good rifle if it does suit their needs. it's a good option for those on a budget too, because of the price, but it is a pretty good rifle.