Hunting Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sniperrifleman, May 3, 2012.

1. sniperrifleman

sniperrifleman New Member

I have been wanting a high caliber rifle that I could take for deer, elk, and maybe moose. What do you guys think I should use for a gun and caliber?

2. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Price range? I have a 30-06 I used for deer and bear.

What distance do u think you will be shooting at?

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

3. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Here we go. I'm staying out of this one for a change.
    cottontop

4. sniperrifleman

5. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

A lot depends on how much recoil you can handle. For elk and moose one of the 30 caliber magnums would be good if you're going to hunt them where there could be a long shot. But they are a bit much for deer and could ruin a lot of meat. You do say 150 to 200 yards though so I'd say go with the tried and true 30'06. It's powerful enough for any moose or elk that ever walked out to those ranges, most are very accurate and recoil won't be too much for most people. It's been around for over 100 years so it must be doing something right!

6. medieval77

medieval77 New Member

7mm rem mag will take em down... or a .308

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would suggest something along the lines of a 30-06 or maybe even the 7mm Rem. Mag. or even a 300 Win. Mag. any of these will do nicely. the 30-06 will have way more factory ammo selection available, but if you reload, you can load up ammo for the other two not available in factory loads.

8. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

You still didn't say how much you want to spend....

30-06....

150-180 gr bullets for deer...

200-220 gr bullets for moose and elk...

Problem solved!

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've taken numerous deer, elk, and a few moose with my .30-06. I use 150 grain bullets for everything.

IME, there is no need for anything more powerful in the lower 48.

"Eargeschplitten loudenboomers" are for Africa.

Place the bullet from a .30-06 properly, and it will do the job.

10. sniperrifleman

I love the Springfield 1903A3. I have shot one. They have a lot of recoil but the .30-06 is my favorite caliber

11. sniperrifleman

I only want to spend $650 tops

12. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

For $650 you can buy a very nice rifle. I'd look at the Savage 110. They are extremely accurate and priced well within your budget. If you want something other than a bolt action, another great thing about the '06 is that you can get it in semi-auto, pump, single shot and even lever actions as well as bolt. There's an old saying that you can never go wrong with a 30'06 and I agree with that.

13. 270win

270win New Member

Another vote for the 30-06. Winchester model 70 is pretty sweet. About 750.

14. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Another vote here for the 30-06. As to the rifle, stay away from Remington - Big Green has let their QC slip. You may want to look at a Weatherby Vanguard S2 or Savage. Both give great accuracy for the money.

15. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

You can shoot deer with almost any calibre and cartridge.

Elk hunters usually carry a .300 or a 7mm mag or a .338 and the ideal bullet is somewhere between 180 and 200 grains.

Moose I have never hunted. The Canadians can give you a better answer than I could. I would think a .45-70 revolver would be plenty, and then you could use it as your side arm anywhere in North America.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  16. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LgmMljYaWs"]Howa 1500 30-06[/ame]

About $500 with the scope. You'll need to change the scope mounts and rings which will put you in the $600 range.

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I must respectfully disagree. Strongly!

The Remington 700 is one of the finest bolt action rifles in the world today.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

start by checking out the gun stores and pawn shops for a decent used rifle. looking around, you might score a really good deal. i did about a month ago on a Remington M700 in 30-06 made in 1971 and only paid $325 for it. had a cheap Bushnell 3-9x40 scope and the finish was crappy, but i'm in the process of refinishing it right now. before i tore it down, it shot a group of five rounds less than 1/2" at 100 yards.

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I bet/hope what he meant to say.....was that the NEW Remingtons are not what they used to be.

20. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Probably the finest.