Hunting rats

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by robocop10mm, Apr 3, 2014.

1. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I know it is hard to classify pest control on this leve "Hunting", but here goes. The last two (2) winters we have had a problem with rats. Our cats died/ran off three years ago. They kept the rat population at bay. They have been getting into the attic and between the ceiling of the first floor and the floor of the upstairs.

Their scurrying is quite unnerving at times. I tried bait (dead rats stink) and traps (not very successful). They have chewed up ammo boxes and camping supplies in the shop and left a mess all over the garage.

Last year, the mild winter allowed me to stake out the back porch and plink at them with a pellet gun. They would use the incoming cable TV/Phone lines as an aereal highway. My brother inlaw tagged one off the wire and I got one off the privacy fence. 5 pumps from a cheapo Crossman pellet gun is lethal.

A while back, my son spotted one in the garage so I staged the loaded pellet gun just inside the garage. The other day, I stepped into the garage from the house and a rat was scrambling along the garage door track. I grabbed up the trusty crossman and took aim at the critter as it traversed the top of the garage door. It was moving pretty fast so I used my wing shooting skills and tracked through the rat to lead it slightly. Squeeze the trigger and the rat dropped like a stone. I checked and found I hit is squarely in the ear, killing it instantly. I was quite proud of my marksmanship. Running rat, 25 feet, head shot!

I have heard no scurrying since. I must have either made an impression on the others or got the lone rat.

Several years ago, I lived in the country. Shredding the fields (mowing for you city slickers) was not drudgery, but an opportunity to supplement the barn cat's feed. I always carried my 3" S&W M-65 .357 revolver with home made shotshells. The rats would scramble out of the way of the tractor and into the waiting arms of the little Smith. Stop, put the tractor in neutral, toss the body on the shredder deck and get back to work. When the chore was done, give the bodies to the barn cats. They absolutley LOVED fresh rat meat.

I learned to wean the kittens from mother's milk to rat meat. It made for cats who did not "play" with their prey. They killed them quickly and ate them before any other cats arrived to steal the kill. The only time I saw one of these trained killers "play" with a rat was whn one old tomcat was training a couple of kittens he had found and brought home. I watched with delight as he held the rat down for the 8 week old kittens. They learned that rat meat was a delectible treat and they, too, became stone killers.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Get a new supply of cats. :D

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The cats we had were very tolerant of the dogs. The dogs knew to leave them alone (except for the Mastiff, he wanted to kill them at every opportunity). I keep thinking about getting another cat or two, but in the interim, I leave a bowl of food outside the garage for the neighborhood cats. I like to let them know they are welcome to stop by and hunt any tme they want.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

hey Robo, i can help you with your lacking a cat!:p

5. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

when I was growing up my grandfather owned a dump in Marlboro, NY and me and my brother would take our 22's out and a brick at least once a week and just knock down rats all day. It was tons of fun and helped me learn how to hit moving small targets which helped me later in life when i deployed to Iraq

6. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

my dad told me when he was younger he would go to the dump with his winchester 04 and .22 shorts and kill rat after rat after rat.

7. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Rats begone...........

I found that this works well. You take a 30 gallon plastic drum, throw some dog food in the bottom. Place a board where the rats can go as they please eating the dog food. After a week remove the board. The rats jump in thinking they have a way out. The only way out is in the mulch pile..............The best rat poison on the market is called one bite..............This stuff works on every thing that ingest it, it'll kill small mice in minutes.................Still though, I find that revenge is best served at the end of a barrel..............:eek:;)

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You can also fill the drum 1/3 with water, use a piece of 6" poster board over the top w/ peanut butter in the center, they can't resist!!

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Robo, I'll happily trade you rats for flying squirrels!! What a headache they are. Nocturnal and get in everywhere. I finally started using huge doses of rat poison, the type that makes them go outside for a drink and it activates the poison.

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I'm a fan of cats. We have two outdoor cats. I think we still have two. Haven't seen one in a week, but then again it's spring.
    I'll try to maintain a cat population. I never see them, just scat occasionally. Hard to shoot them if you can't see them.

I had a couple of blue boxes that electrocute them. They stopped working. but did work well for quite a while.

If I felt that the population was growing, I would try banana and peanut butter. I heard this works for more than Elvis sightings.

Growing up, I always wanted to go to a dump and shoot rats. Never found a place to do it.

Happy Hunting, what ever your method.

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

down da bayou.................

We have these water snakes here in La...... They love fish, but you'll see them sunning them selves along the bulk head where the rats frequent..........Free meal to those that wait with out getting wet...................

12. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Turn pythons loose in the walls.:D

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm not a fan of cats. So they're never the answer in my mind.

Besides. It sounds like Robos doing just fine with his BB gun.

14. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Snakes a live................

I helped a friend tear down a section of camp, in the wall was a 14 foot dried out snake skin. I wasn't afraid of the snake, it was the millions of roaches that had infested the camp.........At nite trying to sleep was a nite mare. Roaches were every where including the bed you were sleeeping in. There was not a rat in site..................... fav. rat dog, mexican chi with manchester............;)

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I use the glue traps. A single trap will not hold a mature rat. I set the glue traps in clusters of 3 or 4. Usually a rat has a place that they hide food. Once you find the cache of groceries other rats will use the same place for their larder. I can smell rat urine from a mile. When I smell the rat urine I set my traps. I usually catch the rat/s in a week or so.

Trapping the rats is not as fun as shooting them with a pellet rifle but it is very effective.

16. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

We used to go to little Ceasers and get the cheapest pizza and take it out to a dump then move back 20 yds or so. After about 10 minutes the rats would start coming to the bait and we would have a good old fashioned rat shoot with 22 pistols and rifles. Good wholeseome fun.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

They have free cats in most downtown and restaurant areas; just put out a box trap with canned cat food (or perhaps a tethered rat). Mine kill random rodents for fun; I can't imagine their homicidal tendencies were they to get hungry.

Having taken my apartment apart a few times BITD, I cannot recommend a free-range python with inner wall access. Speck also had what was either a really strange sense of humor or a real desire to see me crap my pants in fear.

18. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

When I was a teen, we had a rat population for a year or so in the brushy hillside next to the house. I would dump some table scraps by one of the den holes, take a seat about 25-30 feet back, and nail 'em with my scoped Westernfield .22. CCI Stingers dropped the rats in their tracks. :D

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

20. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This is outstanding shooting. Hunting is hunting no matter what the prey and rats deserve to die. Some people eat rats. That makes them legitimate game. :D