hunting pack

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by savageman97, Dec 29, 2012.

1. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

I have been hunting since I was eight and I have never carried one. But now that I'm older and spend time walking by myself a lot more I am thinkin about puttin together a hunting pack that is good for everything from deer to elk to bear to cougar. What do u guys recommend I carry in it?

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I carry my licenses, tags, pens, lighters, hemostats, knives, ammo, gloves, handwarmers. Really whatever I'll think I need. It's only a little "fanny pack", I see no need in carrying a 30lb back pack.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I carry a back pack. But it starts out with just a small emergency survival kit in it. There is a space blanket, a poncho, water purification tablets, fire starter, fishing stuff, power bar, parachute cord, knife and stuff like that. It fits in a large mouth water bottle. Other than the water bottle the pack starts out empty. But later I shed jackets and other layers to put them in the pack as it warms up.

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I got a mil surplus shoulder bag I keep my flare pistol, 5 flares, knife, some rope, my water filter, a space blanket, matches, a thing of sturno, mocosines, and extra ammo. I prefer the shoulder pack it feel better on me and when I go hunting during the warmer months I go barefoot and I think it allows me to go faster with this pack while still keeping impertinent stuff I need on me.

5. locnload

locnload New Member

I grew up hunting in Wisconson and never really gave a lot of thought to having any kind of a pack. You carried your rifle, some extra ammo, a hunting knife on your belt, and maybe a sandwich and Snickers bar in your coat pocket. When I moved to Colorado in 1978, hunting, and surviving became a whole new experience. In the farm country of Wisconsin you were never far from a road or someones farm and if you just kept going in one direction for a few minutes you would get to someplace you could find your way home from. In the Colorado mountains, you can get 100 yards from your truck and be hopelessly turned around. Throw in the early afternoon sunset, the warm fall day that turned to a cold front complete with heavy track covering snow, add a little panic, and your fun hunting trip turns to a nightmare. I now take survival prep vary seriously and never head out without at the very least some basic survival equipment and a compass.

Put yourself together a small day pack with fire starter, water and some way to purify more, something to shelter you from mositure and wind like a good size piece of 6 mil plastic or large heavy duty trash bag, a small first aid kit, not just a boo boo kit with bandaids, but a few things for splinting and stopping serious blood loss as well. Add a compass, a good knife, flashlight and anything else thats appropriate for terrain you venture into. And don't leave home without it. Just before this years hunting season, I bought a Army surplus vest with lots of pockets front and back. I was able to carry my survival kit, first aid kit, compass, GPS, extra ammo, multi tool, map, a few snacks and probably a few more things I dont remember. The point is, I keep the vest on all day and even if I jump out of my truck to run to the ridge and see which way that herd of elk went, I've got everything I need to either find my way back, survive if I can't, and make it easier for rescuers to find me.
    Depending on where you are you may not need as much stuff as I believe in but make sure you have some basics. Good luck.:)

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Don't forget your pet.;)

Attached Files:

7. tri70

tri70 New Member

Snacks, water, rope, extra ammo, matches or lighter, extra gloves. I hunt locally around my area and always have cell phone signal but I may hike out a couple miles in the woods.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Nabs, water, extra ammo and a piece of rebar to drag the deer.

9. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

I have two questions
    1.what is a nab?
    2.hoe do u use rebar to pack out a deer?

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Nabs = Nabisco's brand of peanut butter / cheese crackers, like Toms or Lance snack crackers.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I like a basic back pack also over a fanny pack. Carries easier and holds more if needed when in more remote areas. A also like a Boonie Packers- Safari Sling for my rifle as it does not need to be hands on while hunting or draging a deer and rifle is allways at the ready.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/220723/safari-rifle-sling-reviews/reviews.htm?page=9&sort=rating

Pull the deer- http://www.deerhandle.com/

Along with a Dead Sled works wonders to get deer out of the woods.

What I carry depends on the hunt. Allways more water than needed and energy bars along with fire start of your choice , compass and noise maker encase something stupid happens. Then a quality poncho, extra knife, few extra rounds of ammo along with atleast a deer handle.

Back packs work better than a fanny pack for strapping layers of clothing to also

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Same here. Mine is blaze orange also. I don't wear a vest. Hat and fanny pack that are orange. That is it.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I prefer a backpack. Usually I strip off clothes during the day. The backpack doesn't weigh very much and I don't find my missing coat the next season hanging in a tree.

To those of you that are wondering how one would use a piece of rebar to move a deer: You simply take a knife and make a cut between the deer's achilles tendons and leg bone to slip the rebar into. A 24" piece of 3/8 rebar doesn't weigh much more than your spare ammo. You can easily drag a deer with it. It's small enough that the hook on a nylon strap will slip right over it. Then you can use a 4 wheeler or everyone in the hunting party can help drag the deer to the truck. Around here most hunters have a 4 wheeler. I didn't know the use of 4 wheeler's was a local phenomenon.

14. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

The use of 4 wheelers in these parts is off limits unless u hunt from a road. We use pack mules not horses ,mules

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Why would anyone carry a heavy steel rod in the woods while hunting? Hell for 10,000 years even the cave men knew to just cut a small branch from a tree for this use. Did you post this as a joke:rolleyes:

16. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Did u answer this as a joke???? Its a 24" section of 1/2 " rebar there lil guy I bet it weighs all of 3/4 pound. Now thats rolleyes.